Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I install Skype in Knoppix?

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by user89 View Post
    I tried the "static" version of Skype on Knoppix 7, you can download it from the official website nothing to install, it works directly
    Installing static versions when they are available may often avoid lots of library version troubles etc, so for many, it may be an easy way to proceed. In my own use case, I'd rather prefer the .deb package, because of smaller footprint, simple deinstall, update handling etc. YMMV

Important: if you use Skype 4, you should upgrade (fix)

I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 08-25-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    First, the Debian version of Firefox, Iceweasel, is usually pre-installed on Knoppix, and Icedove, Debian's Thunderbird is easily installed, for example using Synaptic.

Second, with a non-free program like Skype, you can't have it both ways, so as long as Knoppix stays close to "pure" Debian, you'll normally have to do some kind of work yourself to install it. If it had been uploaded to some standard non-free repository, you might have installed it with Synaptic, like you can with the non-free flashplayer plugin, or Oracle Java. But I think that is something you should contact Skype about.

I have given a working recipe to install Skype using command line above, but there is more than one way to do this, as has been noted in this thread. You should be able to add the Skype repository in Synaptic, and then install it like you install any other package.

Exclamation what on earth does this mean!?

Hi

I just started using Knoppix and am loving it, its super slick and makes the most out of my nomraly super restricted work laptop :P

I am trying to get Skype working to, I update sources.list with the correct repo, however on installation Synaptic fails as it refuses to install a couple of dependent lib files:

Depends: libqt4-dbus but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt4-network but it is not going to be installed

Ok I thought, I can add them mysefl through SynapticPM, BUT on selection SPM marks a lot of VERY critical packages for removal including compiz, gparted, iceweasel, vlc and more!

Seems to me doing this will kill my pendrive! Can someone explain to me please what is going on here? and why? Is there a way to resolve this issue to get Skype working?

Many thanks!

P.S. please be gentle... this is my first post!!

Which version of Knoppix do you use?

Is it possible to download Knoppix 7.0.4 DVD and to try again?

Hey, thanks for your reply!!

I have version 6.7. I didn't know version 7 was out, I have a spare flash drive I think so Ill give it a go. I assume that means there is no hope for version 6.7!? Is there a quick way to transfer setting and any saved data from one pendrive to another?

As an update to anyone who might read this. I got knoppix7 CD up and running and its much slicker. I got both Skype and Spotify working right out the box by adding the repos to the sources list and both apt-get installed without any issue.

I haven't read much about the changes between knoppix 6 and 7 but knoppix 7 appears a lot more Debian friendly when it comes to installing any .deb file. Where as before, although being Debian based knoppix seemed to have its own slightly different way of doing things and peculiarities that meant you could not just install programs as you would with any other Debian based system.

All in all very happy and impressed.

I finaly had success with this yesterday. Knoppix 7 seems far far slicker and any deb package seems to install. I don't understand how to use the dpkg command properly, I just added the following for Spotify and Skype respectively to my sources.list:

Code:
    deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free
    deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
    then simply: sudo apt-get update

then: sudo apt-get install skype

it just worked!
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-29-2012 at 05:53 PM. Reason: formatted by moderator

Banned

installing skype

Quote Originally Posted by pastabake View Post
    I finaly had success with this yesterday. Knoppix 7 seems far far slicker and any deb package seems to install. I don't understand how to use the dpkg command properly, I just added the following for Spotify and Skype respectively to my sources.list:

Code:
    deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free
    deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
    then simply: sudo apt-get update

then: sudo apt-get install skype

it just worked!
    The code-free solution is to go into synaptic program manager and choose settings->repositories->new and add the information shown in the bottom of the list in the following window

then you go back to synaptic program manager and RELOAD.
    then you search for skype and it should be there:

However, when you right-click it and "mark for installation", you are told it is NOT AUTHENTICATED:

What to do?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast