Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I install Skype in Knoppix?

Hybrid View

Senior Member registered user
    Skype is a rather proprietary thing, and there are free alternatives. From the Debian wiki page about Skype, see http://wiki.debian.org/skype:
    Skype is a non-free (proprietary) software. It isn't supported by Debian. It's probably wiser to use a VoIP software, like ekiga , linphone or jitsi !
    Then the wiki page goes on to explain how to install from Skype's repository. Add the correct deb reference to /etc/apt/sources.list:
    Code:
    deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free
    Then proceed as with any other CLI package install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update 
    sudo apt-get install skype
    I just tried it, got this result:
    Code:
    #>sudo apt-get install skype
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1019 not upgraded.
    Need to get 20.2 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 26.2 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
    Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
    Get:1 http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable/non-free skype i386 2.1.0.81-1 [20.2 MB]
    Fetched 20.2 MB in 29s (694 kB/s)                                                             
    Selecting previously unselected package skype.
    (Reading database ... 364610 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking skype (from .../skype_2.1.0.81-1_i386.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Setting up skype (2.1.0.81-1) ...
    #>
    I remember when doing something similar two years ago, that there were quite a few glitches when running Skype then. Haven't tried now. Beware that the 32-bits version should be used to minimize problems.
    BTW, ekiga and linphone are present already, so Skype should not be desperately needed. Anyone having bad experiences with them?
    Last edited by Capricorny; 06-23-2012 at 12:37 PM.

I tried the "static" version of Skype on Knoppix 7, you can download it from the official website nothing to install, it works directly

Quote Originally Posted by user89 View Post
    I tried the "static" version of Skype on Knoppix 7, you can download it from the official website nothing to install, it works directly
    Installing static versions when they are available may often avoid lots of library version troubles etc, so for many, it may be an easy way to proceed. In my own use case, I'd rather prefer the .deb package, because of smaller footprint, simple deinstall, update handling etc. YMMV

Important: if you use Skype 4, you should upgrade (fix)

I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 08-25-2012 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Dave View Post
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier. I found the deb installation on the skype website and downloaded it, now I'm wondering what to do next. Also wondering what was meant in a previous post by "static" skype ? Oh I see it it static is on the list - not sure what it means, but downloaded the file, unzipped it and when I browse to the directory, does seem to run other than the mic which I'll have to look into.

Knoppix is my favorite linux version, however, I do wish that instead of coming with a "million" programs that I don't use, it was easier to install the basic popular programs that I do use like firefox, thunderbird and skype.

Thanks for the thread - would have been a hard go without it.
    First, the Debian version of Firefox, Iceweasel, is usually pre-installed on Knoppix, and Icedove, Debian's Thunderbird is easily installed, for example using Synaptic.

Second, with a non-free program like Skype, you can't have it both ways, so as long as Knoppix stays close to "pure" Debian, you'll normally have to do some kind of work yourself to install it. If it had been uploaded to some standard non-free repository, you might have installed it with Synaptic, like you can with the non-free flashplayer plugin, or Oracle Java. But I think that is something you should contact Skype about.

I have given a working recipe to install Skype using command line above, but there is more than one way to do this, as has been noted in this thread. You should be able to add the Skype repository in Synaptic, and then install it like you install any other package.

Thanks for the post. I could have sworn that Skype was one of the internet programs in the menu, but couldn't find it with knoppix 7.0.5 tonight.

<sigh> found my own post from earlier in this thread - forgot I had the same issue before:]
    I too am trying to figure out how to install skype with knoppix and wondering why this isn't easier.
    Last edited by Denver Dave; 02-27-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Skype use in Knoppix, and some alternatives

...wondering why this isn't easier...
    Knoppix doesn't include or facilitate inclusion of Skype as it might.
    In researching why this should be, I have learned that there are both
    licensing and potential security issues that cause this to be so.

Skype terms of use:
    http://www.skype.com/en/legal/tou/
    See especially the licensing section.

Skype security considerations:
    http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/16407/skype-security-linux\
    See especially Ninefingers' comments.

Without belaboring onerous licensing and potential security problems
    related to Skype, I am informed that Knoppix users might be better served
    by free software alternatives like Google+ Hangouts, standard SIP applications
    like ekiga and linphone, or XMPP-compatible programs like Pidgin.
    All of these have secure and open protocols, and best of all, are already
    included-in, or at least freely available and applicable-to Knoppix.

This intends to amplify a hint Capricorny introduced back at post #9.

Exclamation what on earth does this mean!?

Hi

I just started using Knoppix and am loving it, its super slick and makes the most out of my nomraly super restricted work laptop :P

I am trying to get Skype working to, I update sources.list with the correct repo, however on installation Synaptic fails as it refuses to install a couple of dependent lib files:

Depends: libqt4-dbus but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: libqt4-network but it is not going to be installed

Ok I thought, I can add them mysefl through SynapticPM, BUT on selection SPM marks a lot of VERY critical packages for removal including compiz, gparted, iceweasel, vlc and more!

Seems to me doing this will kill my pendrive! Can someone explain to me please what is going on here? and why? Is there a way to resolve this issue to get Skype working?

Many thanks!

P.S. please be gentle... this is my first post!!

Which version of Knoppix do you use?

Is it possible to download Knoppix 7.0.4 DVD and to try again?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast