Thread: Knoppix 64 bit install

Cool Knoppix 64 bit install

Hello All

Thanks for all the hard work you put into the board, I have learned a fair bit from it.... That being said I am still a noob at knoppix. I just downloaded and burned Knoppix 7.02. I want to install it to my Hard drive and have it boot into the 64 bit kernal. I tried loading the live live disk in 64 bit mode but the install defaults to the 32 bit kernal.

I think I need to use a usb drive to do the the install so I can change some of the settings but I am Unclear as how to prepare the usb drive I have a 8 gb and a 16 gb usb drive. But I dont know if I have to extract files to the usb of what? I petty much need step by step instructions. I first I am going to download the DVD Version and burn it and install it. I will report how I got on tommorrow.

I have a medical prob with my memory so please bear with me. I really think Klaus has put in alot of hard work to make this distro one of the best..... I have been experimenting with Fedora 16 and 17 but I really dont like yum much. I find Apt-get or synaptic easier to use.

I really hate ubuntu's interface, and Like Linus torvalds I think Gnome 3 is really a mess. I do like Kde 4.84 (i hear 4.9 is in RC2) I cnt see the point of making our pc's to cell phones ( windows metro). I would use Linux All the time but all of the hardware (except for my printer has no drivers for Linux) If the Camera and Video camera Manufactures as well as other Things I need to use came with Linux drivers, I would.

I will bet a lot of them will come out with drivers for Android though.... Makes me wonder about them,
    Are they deliberately Boycotting linux? I have made it a point to look for hardware with Linux compatability. So far My laptop, external HD, and my Monochome Laser printer Are all working great with linux, but Speech recognition (which I need) is non existant same with all of the rest of my external Hardware.

So I am stuck using Windows 7 (seems pretty good though) soon to be replaced by cellular phone os Windows 8......

I will get knoppix working with someones help... that is something to look forward to...

cya,

Shane

Post Knoppix 64 bit hd-install

I had the same problem (knoppix64 hd-install) today, doing a hd-install of knoppix 6.7

in /boot i found a "vmlinuz-3.0.4-64" kernel image to which i created the softlink "vmlinuz64" in the same directory /boot being root

i altered the file /boot/grub/menu.lst as root to make the new 64bit Kernel appear there:
    (...)
    title KNOPPIX
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz64 root=/dev/sdb1 rootwait lang=de apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq tz=localtime loglevel=1 desktop=kde rw
    (...)
    i hope you use grub. if not, i'd try to redirect the "vmlinuz" link in /boot to your 64bit kernel image there, eg. something with "vmlinuz" and "64" in the filename. For me it was "vmlinuz-3.0.4-64"

the system now uses 64bit as i can use my 8gb ram. it shows some errors at bootup which i don't understand but nothing critical so far

i'd like to hear your experience since i myself am unsure if i should use this for production work.

cheers, christian
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-19-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: not Knoppix line deleted

Senior Member registered user
    I'm using 7.0.2 with the 3.3.7 64-bits kernel all the time, but I mostly use Poor Man's Installs (PMIs): Just copy the KNOPPIX directory to somewhere harddisked, and make a (legacy) GRUB entry with the necessary directions. No problems whatsoever with that. But I cant remember i had trouble with the 0wn-install either. And I don't think there are, normally, any bootup errors.

I have found PMIs to be safest for production work: The system is, essentially, mounted read-only if you take care and stay independent of the persistent store for system tasks.

my above quoted method doesn't work out. i could not save any data in the end.

-----
    full quote deleted by moderator
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 07-26-2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: full quote deleted

Junior Member registered user

Boooting to 64 bit Knoppix: SOLUTION

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know how i managed to do this successfully. I noticed that the standard 32 bit was not reading all my memory (6GB) reported as like 2-3 Gb. So what i did is get a DVD iso (I still like the CD version to start), mounted it and and literally copied the /mnt/dvd/lib/modules/3.0.4-64 directory over to my booted (but driverless) 64 bit linux in /lib/modules/3.0.4-64. Once that is done, you can add a boot option to use the /boot/syslinux/linux64 instead. You will need to reboot once this is done of course.

I just did this for 7.0.4 as well. here's some of my boot entries (note that I always treat my ntfs boot partition as a big USB install) and I have multiple KNOPPIX dirs: KNOPPIX70, KNOPPIX67, KNOPPIX64 (the knoppix_dir= boot option allows multiple versions of knoppix separated by dir) and multiple boot/syslinux{70,67,64} dirs. I think the 3.0.4-64 drivers are ~ 100Mb.

Code:
    title knoppix64_6.7
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /Boot/syslinux/linux64_67 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX67 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 tz=EST5EDT
    initrd /Boot/syslinux/minirt67.gz

title knoppix32_7.0
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 ide1=reset1 tz=EST5EDT
    initrd /Boot/syslinux70/minirt.gz

title knoppix64_7.0
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux64 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 ide1=reset1 tz=EST5EDT

title knoppix64_7.0_usb
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /Boot/syslinux70/linux64 knoppix_dir=KNOPPIX70 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 tz=EST5EDT

title knoppix64_6.4
    root (hd0,1)
    kernel /Boot/syslinux/linux64 ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq loglevel=1 tz=EST5EDT
    initrd /Boot/syslinux/minirt.gz

Banned

force 64 bit install

Hi, I am a total newbi. Can you give me step by step instructions to force my 7.0.4 install as 64 bit? it has already installed as 32 bit. thanks

-------
    Fullquote deleted
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Banned
    I just saw on http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix704-en.html that
    "Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only). "

so I have to download and install the DVD version?

Then I can run flash-knoppix to create a bootable USB stick?

Am I correct? I will let you know

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeymike View Post
    I just saw on http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix704-en.html that
    "Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only). "

so I have to download and install the DVD version?

Then I can run flash-knoppix to create a bootable USB stick?

Am I correct? I will let you know
    You don't have to install - just run the DVD, and use that for creating the bootable USB stick. Booting that with option knoppix64 starts 64 bits kernel. (I often create the stick by running the DVD image, bypassing DVD creation and booting, but then you either need to boot from ISO or run a virtualization program.)