After a minimal modification of minirt init, the squashfs 7.0.2 image could be booted, and there is seemingly nothing wrong with it. But I thought it was, for the booting procedure seemed to get stuck after syslog init, probably at the hw step. I tried remastering from an earlier, smaller version of 7.0.2, with or without persistent store, but nothing seemed to help Knoppix init past this step.

Then, by chance, I happened to leave the computer alone for a few minutes, and suddenly Knoppix was up and running. I have used squashfs for quite a few remasterings, and never experienced something like this. Could it be Knoppix having gotten more hard-wired to cloop lately? I could not tell that for sure from a brief look at at the occurences of "cloop" in /etc and subdirectories.

Another issue is the impaired functionality of busybox (the version in minirt.gz) loop handling. Something should be done about this, I think. There is no problem creating and using "real" /dev/loop10, but busybox maps it to /dev/loop1 - which may cause serious trouble. It's not even able to handle /dev/loop7..