Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open an old Knoppix.img with Knoppix 7

open an old Knoppix.img with Knoppix 7

As I can't have a persistent crypted container file for my config + own files on the disk I want with Knoppix 7, waiting I'd like to manage with my old Knoppix.img file

I tried to use 'sudo mount -t ext2 -o loop,encryption=AES256 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img ./Desktop/knoppix' as I do on a lot of different Linux distrib, but on Knoppix 7 it doesn't work: I get a message about wrong fs or other trouble (while I am sure the knoppix.img is ok). Of course I did first 'sudo modprobe cryptoloop'.

any idea? (again I looked for the solution here and in the FAQ without succes)
    thanks!

PS I modify very little the Knoppix/Linux/programs files, so I plan a script that will copy from my crypted container all the needed files. I did the script test already, it works well and it's very fast, so - except I don't know how to put it in the crypted container - it may be an issue for me.

Hi user89,
    you are in wrog: your knoppix.img is not a crypted container.
    You have to create a new aes crypted container to put your personal data in it
    After that, you can mount this data store using a simple script when you need.

but I give notes that it is possible to have a persistent crypted container for your config + own files called knoppix-data.aes to run knoppix in llive mode with persistence

well let me know what solution you need

> your knoppix.img is not a crypted container.

my old knoppix.img is crypted (Knoppix 5), I need a passphrase to open it

> You have to create a new aes crypted container to put your personal data in it

how can I create such a container with Knoppix 7? (the "create persistent file" that was in the Knoppix 5 menu is not here anymore)
    no way to keep the same container from Knoppix 5? (at least just to open/read it)

> but I give notes that it is possible to have a persistent crypted container for your config + own files called
    > knoppix-data.aes to run knoppix in llive mode with persistence

on the boot device only, right?
    I need such a file NOT on the boot device and bigger than 4Gb

Exclamation Create a file .aes

ok I had not read your requests posted in other threads

1: create a new dir
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt-system/work
    2: create a text file in /mnt-system/work called store.pw with written inside the new desired password (max 14 char lenght !!!)
    3: open a root scell
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/urandom of=/mnt-system/work/store.aes bs=1M count=2048   #2GB
    losetup -p 0 -e aes -k 256 /dev/loop6 /mnt-system/work/store.aes </mnt-system/work/store.pw
    mkfs -t ext2 -L MyData /dev/loop6   # MyData is the label you will see after mounting 
    mount -t ext2 -o rw /dev/loop6 /mnt-system/work
    rm /mnt-system/work/store.pw
    4: mount your old knoppix.img file from knoppix5
    Code:
    mount -t ext2 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img /mnt-user -o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop
    and you will ask to enter your password
    5: copy your important data. If you want copy all at once you can use
    Code:
    rsync -ax /mnt-user/ /mnt-system/work
    6: close all
    Code:
    umount /mnt-system/work && losetup -d /dev/loop6
    umount /mnt-user
    7: if you rename store.aes to knoppix-data.aes and put it in /mnt-system you can use it like persistence, and at boot you need to enter the password to use your own data
    8: if you need a file more 4GB you will put in other place and NOT in FAT32 partition
    take a look to my old threads: http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29666-KNOPPIX-6.7.1-on-USB-with-very-large-persistent-data-image

Hope that help you and not make a mistake
    bye
    Last edited by Blacksimon; 07-03-2012 at 04:24 PM.

thanks! but

mount -t ext2 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img /mnt-user -o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop
    gives the same result after I give my password:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
    missing codepage or helper program, or other error
    In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
    dmesg | tail or so
    And here the result of dmesg :
    EXT2-fs (loop0): error: can't find an ext2 filesystem on dev loop0.
    I checked again the Knoppix.img with the Knoppix 5 CD and on a PC with Ubuntu, it works, the container opens with the password... So what's wrong with Knoppix 7?

but are you sure it is a ext2 fs and not a ext3 ??
    or tape a wrong password ?

sure of the ext2 and the password as I can open the file on other OS with the same command

ok
    try to mount in other way
    Code:
    echo yourpassword | losetup -e aes -p 0 /dev/loop6 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksimon View Post
    ok
    try to mount in other way
    Code:
    echo yourpassword | losetup -e aes -p 0 /dev/loop6 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img
    it's ok, I already tried it but... but... next when I want to mount /dev/loop6 I get the same error:
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop6, missing codepage or helper program, or other error In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so
    I really don't understand why Knoppix 5 and Ubuntu agree to open this container, and not Knoppix 7... anybody tried to do the same?

I tried again "sudo mount -t ext2 -o loop,encryption=AES256 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img ~/Desktop/knoppix" after a reboot. Now I get :
    ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: No such file or directory
    I don't understand :/ And "sudo mount -t ext2 /media/sdc1/knoppix.img /mnt-user -o encryption=aes,keybits=256,loop" still gives the same old result "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop3, missing codepage or helper program, or other error. In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast