Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: open an old Knoppix.img with Knoppix 7

one more thing to add to my previous post ----

I tried loopaes ( http://glarson.org/files/loopaes/loopaes ) with hashalot, it seems I have a trouble: ERROR: could not insert 'padlock_aes': No such device ----

then I tried "sudo modprobe -v aes", I got "insmod /lib/modules/3.3.7/kernel/drivers/crypto/padlock-aes.ko ERROR: could not insert 'padlock_aes': No such device" ----

so I tried to blacklist it by "sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf" (to add a line "blacklist padlock-aes" as I found on the Web) but the trouble is still here when I launch loopaes ----

maybe I am on a wrong way anyway to solve my first trouble...
    Last edited by user89; 07-07-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry, I haven't time to look over your problem. Perhaps a look at createdata() and mountdata() within the init-script of minirt.gz may help you.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by user89 View Post

maybe I am on a wrong way anyway to solve my first trouble...
    If I may make a guess, I think likely it is due to some incompatibility between the encryption use. Instead of trying to dig thru all the details, perhaps better and faster just copy it out from running an older version of knoppix inside a virtual machine.

you're probably right!
    someone here told me how to do is previously but
    i just tried its firt command (sudo mkdir /mnt-system/work)
    I got:
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/mnt-system/work': Read-only file system
    :/
    I'll try to mount somewhere else...

I created a new container manualy with losetup on Knoppix 7 --
    I tried to open it on another old PC Debian that could open my old "knoppix 5" data, but I couldn't open the new container !
    because it was asking me a passphrase of at least 20 car.
    but I think when creating the new container I couldn't have a passphrase longer than 16 car...

maybe here is the explanation of the trouble...

so the only ready solution to use the same crypted container on a new PC (Knoppix 7) and an old one (not up to date Linux) is with cryptsetup (SHA1, not SHA256)...

now I just wonder when I have to mount the container on Knoppix if I want a persistent image...

now I just wonder when I have to mount the container on Knoppix if I want a persistent image...
    Knoppix creates a new encrypted image for you. Placed where Knoppix usually resides. If you store it on NTFS or extX partitions, you can make it big - but then you may have to either create it manually or resize it (I don't know about resizing encrypted images, resizing ordinary images is simple and works quite well.) To make things simpler and safer, I suggest you copy over from the old encrypted image to an unencrypted one, and then from there to the new encryption.

You should be able to do this from Knoppix 7, running, as kl522 suggests, the Knoppix 5 ISO/installation in a virtual machine.

My own preferred way of doing such things, is making a Poor Man's install on some partition, setup legacy Grub so it can boot that install, and then let Grub boot it in Qemu.
    For example, booting your main HD like this

Code:
    sudo qemu -hda /dev/sda -m 512 &
    then select the partition and from the original Knoppix version running in the VM, copy from encrypted to unencrypted - on the same partition (the VM's /mnt-system), or somewhere else mounted by the VM. Just beware of multiple mounting of partitions.

Maybe too awkward and stupid for your liking, but that's me.

BTW, I doubt incompatibilities here are introduced by Knoppix, I would guess it's the Debian heritage, and I would think you got a hint when you couldn't open the new container in the old Debian.

again, my data file (on USB key) can't be on the Knoppix device (DVD)

I managed to open my old Knoppix 5 data and to copy them in a cryptsetup device that I can open with my old Debian and newest Knoppix 7, so that's ok

now two troubles:

- the USB key is very very slow on the old Debian, I need about 1h to mount a 16Gb crypted container and a long time too to umount it. It was faster with the Knoppix 5 container (and the same USB key...)

- I need to configure again all my softwares (Icedove mail...) when I reboot, and I didn't find a solution to install and keep new softwares in my container as I did before with Knoppix 5. For static it's ok, but I have some professional softwares only available as .deb and the publishers won't change that...
    maybe because I mount my container on a directory on the Desktop...

again, my data file (on USB key) can't be on the Knoppix device (DVD)

I managed to open my old Knoppix 5 data and to copy them in a cryptsetup device that I can open with my old Debian and newest Knoppix 7, so that's ok

now two troubles:

- the USB key is very very slow on the old Debian, I need about 1h to mount a 16Gb crypted container and a long time too to umount it. It was faster with the Knoppix 5 container (and the same USB key...)

- I need to configure again all my softwares (Icedove mail...) when I reboot, and I didn't find a solution to install and keep new softwares in my container as I did before with Knoppix 5. For static it's ok, but I have some professional softwares only available as .deb and the publishers won't change that...
    maybe because I mount my container on a directory on the Desktop...
    1. Do you understand what we were talking about when we suggested running your old Knoppix in a VM and mention Poor Man's install? The method I suggested doesn't involve DVD at all.

2. If your software is available as .deb
    A: If new install works, why don't you just reinstall it on a new persistent store, dropping the old versions?
    B: If new install doesn't work, why do you bother trying to transfer? You can still use these programs by running Knoppix5 in a virtual machine, as we suggested.

3. Why do you mix programs and user data in a 16 GB volume? I have experimented with persistent store, and found that for my use, anything beyond ca 6 GB starts to become impractical. User data is better kept on a separate volume, and you can modify for example /etc/rc.local or knoppix.sh to automount that. In particular, if you don't want to roll some programs into the KNOPPIX cloop by remastering, but keep them on an encrypted volume I think it is safest and most practical to keep user data separate from that, encrypted or not. Otherwise, the simplest way to proceed is remastering, so essentially all programs are integrated in the KNOPPIX cloop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast