Thread: Can't make configuration file work after install

Member registered user

Can't make configuration file work after install

Hi.

I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive. My network card has to be setup after each log-on because it doesn't remember. I click "save configuration file," but the only option is to save to floppy, and I don't have a floppy.

I don't want to have to setup my network card and printer every time. What can I do?

Thanks.

Senior Member registered user

Re: Can't make configuration file work after install

Quote Originally Posted by gradnite
    I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive.
    Save your configuration as a normal user. You should have two media type (Floppy and Disk/Partition) when saving according to screenshot:
    http://tapsa.terae.net/linux/knoppix...nfig-media.png

If you can't save your settings, start 'saveconfig' from konsole and check that 'device in not busy'.

If you see only floppy, your configuration might be so special that Knoppix don't undestand it (serial ATA driver?) Can you mount your hard disk?

Erm.. what if you have installed KNOPPIX into the hdd ? how to save the configuration cause when it boots the LILO does not allow me to enter the cheatcodes...

Linux Newbie

I forgot to mentioned that i have
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get update

after my hdd installation alrady. Does that mean the KNOPPIX GNU/LINUX will save all config on the local hdd ? I am scare to reboot now cause i may need to configure all again !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cagivaz
    Erm.. what if you have installed KNOPPIX into the hdd ? how to save the configuration cause when it boots the LILO does not allow me to enter the cheatcodes...

Linux Newbie
    To use cheatcodes with lilo you (as root) edit the file /etc/lilo.conf then rerun lilo to make the changes take effect. The 'append= ' line in lilo.conf contains the cheatcodes.

I can't make the configuration saving work after installing to my hard drive. My network card has to be setup after each log-on because it doesn't remember. I click "save configuration file," but the only option is to save to floppy, and I don't have a floppy.
    Something doesn't seem right here, if you're installed to the HD (and you must be if you are using lilo), you shouldn't have to 'save' your config changes, the setup should just be on the HD like one would expect (with one exception...a 'Knoppix style' HD install will rewrite lilo & some other config files with each reboot but that shouldn't affect printer settings). The 'Save your configuration' script should only be needed if you are running from CD or from a 'toHD' style install.

I forgot to mentioned that i have
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get update
    Did you do them in that order? because you should update THEN upgrade so that your upgrade is using the latest available sources list. (BTW Congrats on the upgrade....any time I tried apt-get upgrade it pretty well trashed my system).
    but that brings up another point...during the upgrade there are usually several places where apt asks if you want to keep your existing config files or upgrade to the package maintainers version, etc. What did you choose? because if you chose to upgrade to the package maintainers config, it may have overwritten some Knoppix configuration files so that your system no longer behaves like Knoppix.

One final check...is Knoppix detecting your network card correctly? does it set up properly when running from CD?

Regarding the update and upgrade part i may have gotten the steps mixed up but nevertheless i discovered how wonderful the "apt-get" command is

Well, i rebooted and my most of my configuration was saved. The Firefox browser i installed before i reboot was still working however , there was one problem... my network card configuration was gones.I need to reconfigure my nework card entering the usual values and addresses before my browser could work.

And i also choose to upgradel the latest conf files for all of the apps when presented with the option.

having issue with saving to file in Knoppix 6

OK, I have used Ubuntu and Puppy Linux, and they never gave me this sort of problem! I did an HD full install with a Linux SWAP file on a separate partition as well, yet when I go to change anything in certain configuration files, it won't let me save when I go to save! It doesn't make sense at all.

The reason I am trying to change things is, on my old IBM Thinkpad that stupid compiz desktop graphic mgr. makes my screen go crazy every time it starts up, seconds after Knoppix begins. I found some threads that said I could change the setting in the etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.config file by changing the line window_manager =compiz to window manager=openbox -lxde

Fine, great, I get it. I've done stuff like this in terminal even, when using Ubuntu or even Puppy! Why, since I have it on my HD (not live CD) can't I save a simple change to a simple TXT type file?!?!?!?!?! HELP ME!

Thanks in advance.

Did you try the command
    Code:
    sudo nano -w /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/desktop.config
    in a terminal?