Thread: If Knoppix becomes Debian when Installed to a HDD ...

If Knoppix becomes Debian when Installed to a HDD ...

Does that mean Knoppix becomes a rolling edition that has no need to be renewed every 6 months?

In other words, will constant updates provide the same results without reinstalling a new version of Knoppix?

Do no basic differences between Knoppix and Debian then? And if differences do exist, what are they?

And does it mean that support will not be available from this forum once Knoppix is installed?

Or just that additional support can be obtained by subscribing to Debian Forums also?

I ask because I am currently using LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) on a desktop computer and have been unable to update it for a while, but have gotten no support in spite of having posted to the LMDE Forum, so I'm considering Knoppix as an alternative, particularly if the response to this post is positive.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Moderator Moderator
    No, Knoppix doesn't becomes Debian! Also in a HD installation it remains a Live System without update service, password protection and user management.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 12-23-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Knoppix (i.e. 7.0.5) should be easier hdd installed, almost like a debian

Hi all. It is really sad to use the latest Knoppix revision (7.0.5 amd64) live dvd only. There are many ways to make hdd installion, but it is hard and littlebit cruel without simple installation advises. Knoppix contains many good opportunities, but the some of them are loosing right now.

I tried knoppix hdd installation to the many partitions hdd. It is very possible that I made it wrong, but it tried many times. There were partitions for the boot, swap, for the system it self, home partition and storage. It did not work or I could not get it work like I wanted it to be.

There is one more thing with the Knoppix 7.0.5, I could not find the way make the user accounts. The usb3g seems to work quite good with it that also makes it very interesting for hdd install it. There were earlier revision with the user account possibilities, so, what is the revision start to the revision 7.0.5 via updating?

The very best regards from Finland, antsu

---------
    Formatted by moderator
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.

If "noscript" is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities.
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-21-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Moderator Moderator