Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Lightbulb Fixing "/usr/bin/flash-knoppix2" for fractional MiB media capacity values

Hello philo

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    Thanks Blacksimon. I tried this with my 32GB key:
    [[...]]
    step #4
    Next I run knoppix installer with the 'p' option and again received the infamous error message that the "overlay is too small".
    So no joy so far.

Note - Not better if the whole key was formated in FAT32 before doing step #1.
    Before the /usr/bin/flash-knoppix2 script can fail, it should show you
    a dialog with a list of storage devices. In that list your 32 GB key should appear
    with a storage capacity/size value (in MiB). If that value is a fractional/floating point value
    (with something like ".5" or ".25" at the end), then you have found the
    reason for the failure and the overlay is too small message: The script performs calculations
    with that value, but these fail (with shell error message) and return a zero value.
    You can fix this yourself by changing the script, making it suppress the
    decimal fraction before the calculations take place.
    In the line reading (at line number ca. 367):
    total="$(awk '{print ($1 / 2048 )}' /sys/block/"${FLASH##*/}"/size 2>/dev/null)"
    Change the part that reads:
    print ($1 / 2048 )
    to:
    printf( "%d", ($1 / 2048 ) )
    This change can be performed even in a Knoppix booted from a DVD- or CD-ROM, with a
    Text editor of your choice (nano is simple to use). Your change will reside in the RAM overlay.
    I could successfully use this changed script to create a flash storage medium with
    a big (7 GiB) reiserfs overlay filesystem, without having to prepare any partitions on it
    (I only had an empty parition table there).
    I hope I this helps. I hope I have correctly understood Your problem.

Thanks for all your advice and encouragements, Blacksimon, but I shall not continue to bother this forum with my small problem.
    If I find the solution I'll let you know.

Hello STraute,
    My post #22 was written before you sent your post #21. Probably took some time for the moderator to check my spelling or whatever before allowing it to be published.
    I read your posts #11 and 21 a number of times and decided to try #21.
    I have been using Knoppix since 5.x but I am always hesitant to put my head under the hood.
    I did this time and it worked! I have a 26GB overlay.I am so grateful.
    I still wonder why I could format my Sandisk 16GB with the orginal script, but not the 32GB.
    Maybe Klaus should modify the script.
    I have a subsidiary question. Come Knoppix 7.0.6 etc, shall I be able to import my 26GB overlay into a new version of the program?

Talking

Hello philo
    Hello STraute,
    My post #22 was written before you sent your post #21. Probably took some time for the moderator to check my spelling or whatever before allowing it to be published.
    Until now, I did not understand why you had appearantly choosen to ignore my advice.
    Your explanation makes that clear, Thank You for taking the time. I had guessed that my advice
    in post #11 was perhaps too technical for you. After You showed persistence in your reply to
    Blacksimon and mentioned the overlay is too small error message again; I decided to
    explain the same approach again, but in a way requiering less prior knowledge.
    I read your posts #11 and 21 a number of times and decided to try #21.
    I have been using Knoppix since 5.x but I am always hesitant to put my head under the hood.
    I did this time and it worked! I have a 26GB overlay. I am so grateful.
    Good! I am happy I could help.

I still wonder why I could format my Sandisk 16GB with the orginal script, but not the 32GB.
    I can only speculate, but:
    Your Sandisk 16 GB device might have a storage capacity in 512 byte blocks which is dividable by 2048 without remainder;
    While Your 32 GB device might have storage capacity in 512 byte blocks which is dividable only by 2048 with a remainder.

Maybe Klaus should modify the script.
    That has been taken care of. He said he would use this patch in the next release.

I have a subsidiary question. Come Knoppix 7.0.6 etc, shall I be able to import my 26GB overlay into a new version of the program?
    I wouldn't try to reuse the same overlay file system with another Knoppix release.
    If You make changes to the system (for example, by installing Debian packages or by just making changes in the
    system configuration), then some of those changes might be incompatible with subsequent Knoppix releases. I would
    rather suggest to create backup(s) of your home directory/directories from Your Knoppix 7.0.5 flash medium
    (i.e. by creating compressed tar file archives on other storage like seperate internal or external hard disk. That would preserve Linux file attributes/permissions even if the tar archive files are stored on Windows file systems).
    You might also want to maintain copies/repositories of changes to the system configuration
    (files in the /etc/ hierarchy for example). A list of the currently installed Debian packages can be created with
    a command like this:
    Code:
    dpkg-query -l|egrep "^i" >my_installed_debian_packages_list_for_knoppix_7.0.5.txt
    When the time comes to switch to a new Knoppix release, create a fresh flash installation with a
    separate big persistent overlay file system. Using the fresh Knopppix instance, You can restore your backed up
    home directories and reinstall the Debian packages You need (using the list).
    It might be easier to just upgrade Debian packages, without upgrading to newer Knoppix releases
    (until a new Knoppix release has new features You really want).
    But you should create those backups anyway - Better be safe than sorry.
    I hope I could answer your question in a satifsfactory manner.

Hello STraute,
    Thanks for your post #24 and for finding the time to prepare such a detailed reply.
    All that information will also be useful to other readers of this forum.
    I am definitely a Junior Member here now and for a long time to come but I shall recoomend you for a quick upgrade to full membership.

I just popped in to grab the suggested change by STraute for a fresh install on my work laptop and realised I did not reply to this thread to verify if I got this solved, at least for myself. Testing the default flash-knoppix2 using 3 flash drives (Sandisk Cruiser 8GB, Verbatim Tuff'n'Tiny 8GB and Centon PRO 16GB) all failed with my previously indicated message. Using the suggested change to the script in post #11 I am now able to use the experimental install with persistant reiserfs partition on all sticks. I really hope this change makes it into the next release (and that STraute gets all the credit ;,,; Happy Penguining!

Wink Feedback on patch to "flash-knoppix2"

Hello ssanubis

Quote Originally Posted by ssanubis View Post
    I just popped in to grab the suggested change by STraute for a fresh install on my work laptop and realised I did not reply to this thread to verify if I got this solved, at least for myself. Testing the default flash-knoppix2 using 3 flash drives (Sandisk Cruiser 8GB, Verbatim Tuff'n'Tiny 8GB and Centon PRO 16GB) all failed with my previously indicated message. Using the suggested change to the script in post #11 I am now able to use the experimental install with persistant reiserfs partition on all sticks.
    Thank You for this feedback. I hope it can motivate others to try the patch.
    Both the patch from post #11 and the change described in post #21 are essentially the same,
    only post #11 is somewhat more technical.
    Quote Originally Posted by ssanubis View Post
    I really hope this change makes it into the next release
    Before even contributing to this thread, I had sent the patch to Klaus Knopper (using the web form). He was friendly enough to reply via Mail that he would use the patch for the next release. (I'm only posting here to tide you all over until then . )

Hello!

I made bootable USB (Emtec 16gb) with experimental Knoppix 7.0.5 flash boot, with reiserFS. It works correctly. Even when put tiny7 on virtualbox. OK, it's a little bit to slow, but works!
    BUT the crucial problem is when I want to put my local keyboard layout and when syslinux.cfg touched:
    - go to boot->syslinux->sislinux.cfg (open with leaf or vi editor) and put in APPEND line bitween lang=en and apm=power-off my keyboard=hr or xkeyboard=hr or just open and save and... voila on my comp ASUS P5VD-X at next boot I've got the: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    Same thing with KNOPPIX 7.0.4 works (of coarse without this experimental, raiserFS etc...)
    So, how to change keyboard layout on the other way?

2.nd mabe someone of you noticed then when you have boot usb stick, and at the same time you have live CD/DVD (knoppix) in your CD/DVD device, although boot starts from USB, it will redirected to boot from CD/DVD.

3. how to fix calling from root console sudo modprobe vboxdrv before calling virtualbox installed OS (tinyXP or tiny7)

etc... but enough for now.

Oh, yes, KNOPPIX is my favorite mobile OS and I try to stay it in the future. (Tried lupu, slax, moo then Ylmf, Zorin, Ubuntu, but.... :-/)

Moderator Moderator
    Please use the "Advanced Options" and upload your 'syslinux.cfg' as 'syslinux.txt'; so we can look over it.

Booting Knoppix, it seeks for the next available ISO; in your case if finds the ISO from CD/DVD. To prevent this behaviour use the cheatcode "fromhd"
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-16-2013 at 06:18 PM.

ok, here it is:
    ************************************************** **************************
    DEFAULT knoppix
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    TIMEOUT 100
    # TOTALTIMEOUT 20
    # KBDMAP german.kbd
    PROMPT 1
    F1 boot.msg
    F2 f2
    F3 f3
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    LABEL adriane
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off video=640x480 initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime adriane
    LABEL adriane64
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off video=640x480 initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime adriane
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    LABEL knoppix64
    KERNEL linux64
    LABEL debug
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime debug
    LABEL debug64
    KERNEL linux64
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime debug
    LABEL grub
    KERNEL grub.exe
    APPEND --config=;
    LABEL fb1024x768
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off vga=791 video=1024x768 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    LABEL fb1280x1024
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off vga=794 video=1280x1024 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    LABEL fb800x600
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off vga=788 video=800x600 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    LABEL fb640x480
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr apm=power-off vga=785 video=640x480 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 tz=localtime
    LABEL memtest
    KERNEL memtest
    APPEND foo
    LABEL dos
    KERNEL memdisk
    APPEND initrd=balder.img
    LABEL failsafe
    KERNEL linux
    APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en keyboard=hr vga=normal atapicd nosound noapic nolapic noacpi pnpbios=off acpi=off nofstab noscsi nodma noapm nousb nopcmcia nofirewire noagp nomce libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 nonetwork nodhcp xmodule=vesa initrd=minirt.gz
    ************************************************** **************************

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast