Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Moderator Moderator
    The syslinux.cfg you've posted is ok; I can boot with it my Knoppix test installation without any error message. Perhaps you did a mistake with the name of the file?
    - go to boot->syslinux->sislinux.cfg (open with leaf or vi editor) and put in APPEND line

oh boy
    you are joking, isn't it? or, mabe no...

Thanx, an(y/i)way. (this is bytes (not i) and time wasting), so long.

Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksimon View Post
    1) Launch knoppix installer (experimental version)
    2) Select desired target device (I try to use a 16GB Sony Usb not empty)
    3) Select installation method:
    case "i" Standard installation on FAT32 with knoppix-data < 4GB (I think is the same of old flash-knoppix)
    case "p" New type of installation: first parition FAT32 and second partition dedicated to overlay
    4) i choose "p" because i want overlay >4GB (if possible...)
    5) ok at warning message all data will erase on usb. I want.
    6) ok at second warning message before proceed. Do it.
    7) select the size of overlay partition. min: 400MB - max: the available free space left on usb
    8 ) I select the max (in my case 8728MB)
    9) ok to proceed
    10) wait the end of the process (formatting, install boot loader, copy data file)
    11) now, if you want, you can encrypt with aes the overlay.
    12) Enter a password 8-14 chars lenght and then again to confirm
    13) Wait the creation of the encrypted overlay
    14) End
    Hi,

I spent the weekend to no avail but now have an 8GB and 16GB Sandisk and today a 64GB Lexar USB drives with Knoppix 7.05 DVD - None of 3 will boot! Am I missing a step(s), somewhere?

10) wait the end of the process (formatting, install boot loader, copy data file)

I started with the 7.05 DVD .... when I had the Graphical Interface; I selected from (lower left) menu, Knowppix, Install to USB -Experimental. I let the Install Program do everything - Very smooth. When Finished, I reboot and receive the No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

So, is your Step number 10... consisting of multiple steps; like installing lilo - Please, it's been some time. I'm back because of the possibility to carry mutiple boots and DVD of data on a USB. Thanks.

Moderator Moderator
    Did you test your DVD with Knoppix Cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
    I let the Install Program do everything - Very smooth. When Finished, ..
    What message did you get at this point? Be aware, the progress-bar remains about half an hour nearby 99%. Wait patiently for the final message.

After successful experimental Install, USB Flash medium does not boot

Quote Originally Posted by ttopp View Post

I spent the weekend to no avail but now have an 8GB and 16GB Sandisk and today a 64GB Lexar USB drives with Knoppix 7.05 DVD - None of 3 will boot! Am I missing a step(s), somewhere?

I started with the 7.05 DVD .... when I had the Graphical Interface; I selected from (lower left) menu, Knowppix, Install to USB -Experimental. I let the Install Program do everything - Very smooth. When Finished, I reboot and receive the No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

So, is your Step number 10... consisting of multiple steps; like installing lilo - Please, it's been some time. I'm back because of the possibility to carry mutiple boots and DVD of data on a USB. Thanks.
    Step 10 does not describe tasks You (as the user of the experimental Installer) have to perform, it just lists the many sub-tasks the Installer has to perform (while You have to wait).

The message You described might come from the Knoppix boot loader, but I am not sure. Is the same
    message displayed when you start Your PC without any (USB-) Flash storage device attached?
    Can Your PC boot from other flash memory storage devices? Can other PCs/Laptops boot Knoppix from Your USB flash memory devices?

I think that it is entirely possible that every one of Your installations was successful, but that your computer can not (currently) boot from USB: Most PCs built-in firmware/BIOS software requires a special key to be pressed before booting of any operating system (from hard disk or SSD) can take place. This key causes a boot device menu to be displayed. In this kind of menu you may then select the avaliable boot devices (among device vendor strings). I can not tell you which special key is needed for Your PC, but this is usually displayed during BIOS storage device detection in a message like "Press F11 to enter boot device selection menu." or "Press F8 key to choose system startup media". This display may zip by rather fast; But the Pause key is your friend.

Sometimes the PC firmware/BIOS requires reconfiguration before even allowing boot from USB media.
    In Your BIOS setup, please check the boot device order (and other USB-related options).

Perhaps Your PC-BIOS gets confused by the second partition(s) ("/dev/sd?2") created by the experimental installer - Try to use the normal/older flash install program from the Knoppix DVD with Your 8 GB Sandisk stick (If that can be booted then You have a picky/broken BIOS. Your PC manufacturer might offer BIOS updates by download). Only storage devices with memory capacity bigger than 8 GiB can really benefit from the new experimental installer anyway.

I hope any of this can help You.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Did you test your DVD with Knoppix Cheatcode &quot;knoppix testcd&quot;?What message did you get at this point? Be aware, the progress-bar remains about half an hour nearby 99%. Wait patiently for the final message.
    Ok... First - Thank you for the quick responses. On Knoppix DVD 7.05 from USB... experimental... I ran 'knoppix testdvd' and it Failed. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by STraute View Post
    Step 10 does not describe tasks You (as the user of the experimental Installer) have to perform, it just lists the many sub-tasks the Installer has to perform (while You have to wait).

Can Your PC boot from other flash memory storage devices? Can other PCs/Laptops boot Knoppix from Your USB flash memory devices?

Try to use the normal/older flash install program from the Knoppix DVD with Your 8 GB Sandisk stick (If that can be booted then You have a picky/broken BIOS. Your PC manufacturer might offer BIOS updates by download). Only storage devices with memory capacity bigger than 8 GiB can really benefit from the new experimental installer anyway.

I hope any of this can help You.
    Ok... First - Thank you for the quick responses. On Knoppix DVD 7.05 from USB... experimental... I ran 'knoppix testdvd' and it Failed. Thank you.
    ------------------------------------------------

You folks are good with your answers to posts. Your manners are patient and appreciated.
    I have downloaded and installed Firmware Update for the Plextor 716A CD/DVD R RW DL. Finished. I have Updated 4.22.2005 AMI BIOS. Finished. I have adjusted BIOS to boot from DVD, USB, etc. I have pressed F8 to get a Boot Menu. Thank you.
    -------------------------------------------------
    These Thank yous are sincere. It helps my memory to read and re read the forum posts after so long. I am looking for the 7.1 DVD and will start over. -Installing to Flash-USB Experimental. Until then...
    I have a 8GB w optional overlay, a 16GB w p, and a 64GB install w 1505MB Reiser FS partition?. Thanks. ..looking for computers here at the home to test them on, although, with the DVD Failing (the 7.04-5? *CD, PASSED!) -maybe yes/ maybe no. One more on the errors... in the beginning when I first started.. I received 'Can't find Kernel' errors. I haven't seen that in a while. I thought Sandisk specific?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I used to be fairly adept at this and I'm enjoying the heck out of it again... so thanks and I'm keeepin on.

Looks like You wrote a broken DVD

So Mr. Schulz came up with the useful recommendation (while I only came up with unhelpful guesses). You need a boot medium that works. There are several possible approaches now, depending on Your preferences:

• Perhaps a USB flash storage device created from the Knoppix CD is sufficent for Your current needs.

• If You still have a ISO file with the Knoppix DVD image, then You can try to write that to another DVD+-R(W).

• Or You can skip the DVD burning by using that Knoppix DVD image ISO file to create an intermediate bootable flash storage device instead. I would use the unetbootin tool (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to write such a bootable medium. You can use the testcd cheat code with such an USB medium too. After that checks out You could boot that USB stick again and try the experimental installer from there to install on a seperate USB flash storeage device (to get a file system which is not just writeable but with changes persisting across reboots).

You folks are good with your answers to posts. Your manners are patient and appreciated.
    I have downloaded and installed Firmware Update for the Plextor 716A CD/DVD R RW DL. Finished. I have Updated 4.22.2005 AMI BIOS. Finished. I have adjusted BIOS to boot from DVD, USB, etc. I have pressed F8 to get a Boot Menu. Thank you.
    And Thank You for Your diligence in following advice and reporting Your results here (Even for my unhelpful guesses on probable causes).
    I am looking for the 7.1 DVD and will start over. -Installing to Flash-USB Experimental. Until then...
    I have a 8GB w optional overlay, a 16GB w p, and a 64GB install w 1505MB Reiser FS partition?. Thanks. ..looking for computers here at the home to test them on, although, with the DVD Failing (the 7.04-5? *CD, PASSED!) -maybe yes/ maybe no. One more on the errors... in the beginning when I first started.. I received 'Can't find Kernel' errors. I haven't seen that in a while. I thought Sandisk specific?
    It will be a couple of months before the Knoppix 7.1 images become public. Until then You only can get 7.1 by buying a copy of german Linux Magazin.

After the "testcd" failed it is much more likely that this is a/the cause of the failed boots/kernel loads You have experienced. I think it is not probable that Sandisk is at fault here. You need a working and tested boot medium first.

[QUOTE=STraute;129184]So Mr. Schulz came up with the useful recommendation (while I only came up with unhelpful guesses).

Whoah... Hold on there , STraute. You give excellent information. In fact it was your information that kept me busy and brings back a 'disciplined' approach -with a new conscientiousness. Hmm, did I spell that right? I was confused how to divide up my responses and afterwards, I thought the Administrator might be upset with the way I used this 'Reply area'. Everything is new. I have done four full days since Sat last and 9:30 Central time last nite, I received my first 'All files OK' on my Knoppix DVD 7.05. So, before I slept I created a 16GB SanDisk w 12GB Partition. It didn't boot. UI error. This AM I created the little 8GB SanDisk w 3900MB Overlay and then saw your email.

And Thank You for Your diligence in following advice and reporting Your results here (Even for my unhelpful guesses on probable causes). Now Stop that! (Jack Benny).
    This is what these forums are for. (Example) I have a Ultra ATA/133 Sil680 Raid controller card. I bought it so I could have larger disks ( 2 300 GB Drives). OK. Now, the drive that boots my system is a 160GB and is plugged into the IDE-0 slot. But I can't point the system BIOS to the 160GB. I have to point it to the controller and tell BIOS to 'Search other Drives', to get the desired result. Go figure. And STraute, my friend, it was your suggestions both last time and today that has me paying attention to All these little 'quirks'. Thank you. This is a lot of fun. -I do get a little frustrated because I'm not further along.. I'd like to be booting into a Dragon Dictate type environment. But, -day at a time-. Stay well everyone. I'm keeepin on.

Things are working... USB Live 7.05

Wow. Great afternoon. All 3 worked and I am hacking new ones (multi-boot) to try. USB Still doesn't work on my pc. But I have seen them all work. Thanks for the ubunetuin? That was SLICK. Gotta go- Friend's Birthday and I am late. B-4 I go,,, My PC does boot from a 256MB Lexar thumb w Steve Gibson SpinWrite. Maybe it is 'FreeDOs' making it happen. Stay well, this is fun and I am Keeepin on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast