Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Resetting clock local time.

Resetting clock local time.

OK, I have tried repeatedly to reset my clock on my machine in Knoppix and cannot find anything that isn't dated and doesn't seem to work. I know that it has got to be fairly simple, but, can't find the right proceedure.

Currently my clock is like 8 hours out of sync with the actual time(US, Pacific), and I have a 24 hour clock and want a Twelve.

So, what is the proceedure for resetting the clock permanantly?

Thanks.

Alright, I am a little disappointed that someone didn't post a process here, but, I ended up figuring it out myself, so since I couldn't find anywhere on the internet that gave a detailed step by step process for doing this I will put it here for others who want to know. I found on the internet that Ubuntu uses the command 'tzselect'. I thought what the heck plug it in and see if it works. In Ubuntu it had to be led with '~$', however that wouldn't work in Debian. So I just input 'tzselect' in terminal and wahlah, it asked me for what continent or ocean? The correct response was #2, or Americas, then it asked what country, which was #49 or United States, and finally which time zone, which was #22 or Pacific. Unfortunately this does not permanantly establish the time zone on the computer. But, what it does do is give you the information to make it permanant. It reads as follows: "The following information has been given: United States Pacific Time Therefore TZ='America/Los_Angeles' will be used. Local Time is now: Thu Jan 24 11:13:15 PST 2013 Universal Time is now: Thu Jan 24 11:13:15 UTC 2013 Is the above information OK? #1yes #2No #1 (enter) You can make this change permanant for yourself by appending the Line TZ='America/Los_Angeles'; export TZ to the file '.profile' in your home directory: then Log out and Log in again. Now the first thing you will find is that when you go to your "home" folder that it has nothing in it but the Knoppix folder. And if you try to put anything in it you will be told you don't have permissions to do so. The reason being is when they say your "home" folder what they really mean is your "Knoppix" folder that the system actually defaults to anyway. In that folder you will find a multitude of "Dot" folders and files of various titles, but, the one thing you won't find is one called ".profile". What you do now is you create said file with leafpad, and put it in the Knoppix folder. Now you are probably tempted to just log out to the log in screen then log back in, don't bother it didn't work for me. Just reboot your System and it will come back in Local time. The one thing I didn't find was a way to change to a 12 hour clock. This may require an application. I don't know for sure. Hope this saves a whole lot of people the trouble that I had getting this done. E-Tramp Posts: 4 Joined: 2013-01-24 00:32

--------------------------
    Please use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 01-25-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    If you have a flash disk install, use the Cheatcode "tz=..." and make it permanent with Micro-Remastering? With harddrive install of Knoppix you have to edit '/boot/grub/menu.lst' and there in the kernel-line at position "tz=..."

By the way: Home-folder is always the folder of the current user. Knoppix has only the user "knoppix" (and "root"). Therefore the home-folder of the user knoppix is '/home/knoppix/'.

Senior Member registered user
    What I did was this:
    I boot using knoppix cloop file. I activated the persistent boot. I have installed ntpdate using aptitude. I activated some reputed ntp servers around the world. Then from start menu>preferences>time and date and set time to Asia/Kolkata. The time and date is automatically updated.
    However, every time I boot the time is reset to that of the USA, although there is an option to lock the settings, "Click to prevent changes".
    Have I drawn the attention of the seniors!?

Also please note that the localisation by using KDE System Settings remains stored with reboot. Localisation set to India. But time and date issue isn't resolved, even with E-Tramp's method.

To us newbs, if you tell us go to the home folder and you have a folder named "home" we are automatically going to assume that is the folder you are talking about. As for Raji, if I may call you that, I am not sure what you mean about it not being resolved, but, at least when I look at the clock now I don't see Universal Time, I see Pacific Standard Time and that was what mattered. I would still like it to be a twelve hour clock though, because I haven't used a 24 hour clock since me and the Marines parted company in '77. Sounds like you might have a better setup there if it gives you more options. I might still have a problem when we hit Daylight Savings time, don't know if the time and date server this is coming from ever changes in that regard, because it does say "Universal Time", but, for now, however,it is the right time for where I am at.

And by the way, I think that what they mean by "Universal Time" is what we use to call "Greenwich Mean Time" set by a the clocks in Greenwich England. That is the time that aircraft around the world fly by. I could be wrong, but, it is the only "Universal Time I ever heard of.

Time and date settings

Quote Originally Posted by E-Tramp View Post
    To us newbs, if you tell us go to the home folder and you have a folder named "home" we are automatically going to assume that is the folder you are talking about. As for Raji, if I may call you that, I am not sure what you mean about it not being resolved, but, at least when I look at the clock now I don't see Universal Time, I see Pacific Standard Time and that was what mattered. I would still like it to be a twelve hour clock though, because I haven't used a 24 hour clock since me and the Marines parted company in '77. Sounds like you might have a better setup there if it gives you more options. I might still have a problem when we hit Daylight Savings time, don't know if the time and date server this is coming from ever changes in that regard, because it does say "Universal Time", but, for now, however,it is the right time for where I am at.
    Screenshot from 2013-01-26 06:59:39.png
    As I'd said, I installed ntp, ntpdate, etc., and then used this application to set date time. But whatever I set is undone the next time I boot. But the localisation I set remains as of India between powerdown and powerup.

Moderator Moderator
    • Set BIOS time to UTC (= Greenwich Time)
    • Edit "tz=..." (my posting #3)
    • right-mouse-click on the clock in the panel

Screenshot_clock..png

• read the man-page strftime
    • edit the string from "Clock Format" as you need

Moderator Moderator
    I might still have a problem when we hit Daylight Savings time, ...
    If you follow my description, you'll always have the correct time. The time is calculated by the instructions you can see in the files of '/usr/share/zoneinfo/'.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast