Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Using a Read-Only Persistence Capability in Knoppix LiveUSBs

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Capricorny.

    AFAICT, PCMan needs fuse to do something with policykit in creating LXDE,
    so gvfs comes in with PCManFM. You can unmount and delete .gvfs, but it
    will re-appear after a while. It is annoying, but appeals to both PCMan and
    Klaus K will have been of no avail up to now.

    Also, FYI, Ubuntu has re-located this annoyance. See:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21141...n-ubuntu-12-10

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, Capricorny.

    AFAICT, PCMan needs fuse to do something with policykit in creating LXDE,
    so gvfs comes in with PCManFM. You can unmount and delete .gvfs, but it
    will re-appear after a while. It is annoying, but appeals to both PCMan and
    Klaus K will have been of no avail up to now.

    Also, FYI, Ubuntu has re-located this annoyance. See:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21141...n-ubuntu-12-10

    Of course, PCMan doesn't want to break Gnome, which, AFAIK is used several places in LXDE. And Klaus K wants to stay as compatible with the major desktops/APIs as possible. So they should not be expected to be positive. The trouble is with the GIO implementation, I think - KDE's version, KIO, does much of the same, but AFAIK without creating such problems.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    The trouble is with the GIO implementation, I think - KDE's version, KIO, does much of the same, but AFAIK without creating such problems.
    I think you have got it right, but I can only guess that a kde approach
    must have some downside like requiring more infrastructure to be brought in
    to enable fuse that outweighs the known gnome .gvfs annoyance.
    See: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92957

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    801
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I think you have got it right, but I can only guess that a kde approach
    must have some downside like requiring more infrastructure to be brought in to enable fuse that outweighs the known gnome .gvfs annoyance.
    ......
    Maybe, but I'd guess it is more of a cultural thing. Real programmers don't use C++, you know.
    FUSE = FileSystem in User Space is actually entirely independent of GNOME, gvfs is just kind of implementation that some think should long have been forked..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •