Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Using a Read-Only Persistence Capability in Knoppix LiveUSBs

  1. #21
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Greetings, Capricorny.

    AFAICT, PCMan needs fuse to do something with policykit in creating LXDE,
    so gvfs comes in with PCManFM. You can unmount and delete .gvfs, but it
    will re-appear after a while. It is annoying, but appeals to both PCMan and
    Klaus K will have been of no avail up to now.

    Also, FYI, Ubuntu has re-located this annoyance. See:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21141...n-ubuntu-12-10

  2. #22
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Greetings, Capricorny.

    AFAICT, PCMan needs fuse to do something with policykit in creating LXDE,
    so gvfs comes in with PCManFM. You can unmount and delete .gvfs, but it
    will re-appear after a while. It is annoying, but appeals to both PCMan and
    Klaus K will have been of no avail up to now.

    Also, FYI, Ubuntu has re-located this annoyance. See:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/21141...n-ubuntu-12-10

    Of course, PCMan doesn't want to break Gnome, which, AFAIK is used several places in LXDE. And Klaus K wants to stay as compatible with the major desktops/APIs as possible. So they should not be expected to be positive. The trouble is with the GIO implementation, I think - KDE's version, KIO, does much of the same, but AFAIK without creating such problems.

  3. #23
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Columbia, Maryland USA
    Posts
    1,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    The trouble is with the GIO implementation, I think - KDE's version, KIO, does much of the same, but AFAIK without creating such problems.
    I think you have got it right, but I can only guess that a kde approach
    must have some downside like requiring more infrastructure to be brought in
    to enable fuse that outweighs the known gnome .gvfs annoyance.
    See: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92957

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I think you have got it right, but I can only guess that a kde approach
    must have some downside like requiring more infrastructure to be brought in to enable fuse that outweighs the known gnome .gvfs annoyance.
    ......
    Maybe, but I'd guess it is more of a cultural thing. Real programmers don't use C++, you know.
    FUSE = FileSystem in User Space is actually entirely independent of GNOME, gvfs is just kind of implementation that some think should long have been forked..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HUH721010AL4200/42C0 HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gbps 256MB 2018 picture

HUH721010AL4200/42C0 HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gbps 256MB 2018

$99.95



3TB 3.5 seagate ST3000nm0043 SAS 7200RPM 128MB 6GB/s HDD hard drive for servers  picture

3TB 3.5 seagate ST3000nm0043 SAS 7200RPM 128MB 6GB/s HDD hard drive for servers

$24.99



Seagate Desktop HDD ST500DM002 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop HDD ST500DM002 500GB 16MB Cache 7200RPM SATA 3.5" Hard Drive

$21.95



Western Digital RE WD4000FYYZ 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital RE WD4000FYYZ 4TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

$59.99



WL 4TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM (Enterprise Grade) SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

WL 4TB 64MB Cache 7200RPM (Enterprise Grade) SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

$48.88



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 3.5" 6.0Gb/s SATA Internal HDD w/No Tray | 0F19459

$29.98



SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Soli picture

SAMSUNG 980 M.2 2280 500GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4, NVMe 1.4 V-NAND MLC Internal Soli

$59.99



Seagate Exos X10 10Tb 7.2K 12Gb/s 4Kn SED SAS 3.5

Seagate Exos X10 10Tb 7.2K 12Gb/s 4Kn SED SAS 3.5" Enterprise Hard Drive - 100%

$94.95



1TB HDD/SSD 2.5

1TB HDD/SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive Laptop with Windows 10 Pro Installed Legacy 64

$27.95



HUH721010AL4200/42C0 HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gbps 256MB LOT OF 5 picture

HUH721010AL4200/42C0 HGST Ultrastar He10 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gbps 256MB LOT OF 5

$499.95