Thread: Synaptic Package Manager - kdenlive

Synaptic Package Manager - kdenlive

I was interested in trying out another video editor with some files that I can play by clicking on them, but I can't seem to play all the way through with openshot. Probably problems with the files and I really like openshot, but thought that I'd try another approach.

Not particular about what other editor, but picked kdenlive, but could pick another.. Couldn't figure out which package to download, so thought I'd tryout the Synaptic Package Manager and see what it does.

I'm running knoppix 7.0.5 with a USB built from the DVD.

First thing I noticed is when I load the Synaptic Package manager, I get "You have broken packages on your system! UYse the Broken filter to locate them."

When I filter for broken packages and then apply, get message:
    "E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1"

When I select kdenlive and apply I get the following error:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-38_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1

I can wait for 7.1 if that is the issue.

Thanks.

Same problem after I run a:
    >sudo apt-get upgrade
    Now I cannot use synaptic or apt-get to install new software
    Anyone please help?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your issue.

I only use
    sudo apt-get update (not upgrade)

When I've done similar, I've ended up reinstalling knoppix.

When you say "cannot use" - what happens?

screwed-up my install :(

Debian Wheezy is now stable, while it wasn't yet when KK created Knoppix 7.05.
    KK is currently dealing with some other issues and hasn't yet released 7.1.
    As a noob, I was simply hoping that, in the meanwhile, I could, well, upgrade, but unfortunately I only managed to screw up the system a bit

Following these errors (similar to the ones you mention), Synaptic (or apt-get) won't allow me to install new software (cannot use). This libc6_2.13-38_i386.deb is probably a package used to perform some recompile following major upgrades (as for example when new kernels are released).
    In some debian-based releases (like Ubuntu and, I was hoping, for Knoppix too) the options "upgrade" or "dist-upgrade" (not update) are used when release numbers step up one version (e.g., 7.05 -> 7.1)

So I think, like many others, I'll wait until next K release to reinstall everything from scratch.
    For me, the scope of Knoppix has gone well beyond a simple "repair distro" - wouldn't hesitate much to make it my main desktop system as soon as KK solves some sound issues with HDMI (I have 2 sound cards, one of which, HDMI, is still unusable

Anyways, thanks VM Dave for your kind feedback - I have never been attracted this long by a Linux distro as I have with awesome Knoppix - I'll keep the community posted on my experiences

Moderator Moderator

Talking Monitors and digital sound issues with ATI radeon HD 6570

Thanks Werner (and Klaus ) for your prompt reply.

It's been almost a month since this new v7.2, and I will now report on my user/noob experience with apt, video and sound issues about my fresh install of Knoppix V7.2 DVD on my HD (Samsung SSD 840 256Gb - AMD PhenomII quad core - 6Gb ram).

Apt wise, I don't have any issues anymore. However, I have learned at my expense that, if I don't want trouble with broken packages, I better use Preferences-->"Software Settings" (i.e. gpk-prefs), rather than synaptic (i.e. sudo synaptic-pkexec), to check for upgrades/updates. So I would recommend the option "check now" of gpk-prefs, rather than the option "Mark all upgrades" of synaptic.

Video wise, I have a ATI Turks Radeon HD 6570, which is connected to one Philips monitor via DVI (main monitor and desktop) and to one Samsung TV via HDMI (secondary monitor, which I want as desktop extension). I managed to make it work like I wanted, with "Preferences"-->"KDE system settings" (systemsettings -caption "%c" %i) -->"Hardware"-"Display and Monitor" etc....
    In the previous Knoppix version V7.05 however, this was easier to achieve via the utility "arandr", which now sadly does not work anymore. Moreover, the configuration I have managed with the "KDE system settings" does not hold between boots, i.e., when I restart my PC, I have to go through the systems settings configuration again in order to extended my desktop on the TV. How do I make my changes persistent? Why does "ARandR" not work anymore?

Audio wise, I also managed to make it work as I wanted, but that was much more difficult.
    Technically, the ATI Turks Radeon HD 6570 video card is also an audio device, which sound output I would like to use onto my TV, but could never make it work under K (or any other Linux I have tried so far). I know that the hardware and connection is OK because it works on M$ W7. For now, it doesn't matter too much, because I have analog sound through my monitor, and also digital sound through optical S/PDIF (see other issues below) hooked to the optical port of an old 5.1 power amplifier. In the future, I might upgrade to a more modern home cinema amplifier, so I will have to use that sound through the HDMI port. I hope by then I will have managed to make my ATI-HDMI binding work properly or easily, otherwise my wife will force me to go back to Win$ for watching movies with digital sound. I know Klaus has worked hard on those HDMI issues, but unfortunately for me this is still a no go.

S/PDIF issues:
    That's what worked for me using the optical audio output, but via the on-board audio device (do not the ATI HDMI).
    I created a file /etc/asound.conf following this thread on alsa: http://johannes-bauer.com/linux/dolby/?menuid=3.
    Then, using this (french) documentation as guideline :
    http://passion-xbmc.org/tutoriels-li...c-sous-ubuntu/
    I decided to copy the file from the latest Ubuntu Raring 13.04 distribution because that worked OK: /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf.
    I just added this line at the bottom (barely knowing what I was doing though....):
    "options snd-hda-ati model=6stack-dig"
    However then, the only action that caused my S/PDIF to work was to tweak into [alsamixer], but then again, my changes do not survive PC reboots. Again, how do I make my changes persistent here also?

If I want to evangelize my wife into Linux (and particularly Knoppix), I can certainly not ask her to go into all these tweaks after a PC boot to have a full-fledged working OS! Right now, Knoppix/Linux is much faster and nice-looking than the other O$, but things are not quite so easy under the hood for noobs like me