Thread: Video editing

Video editing

I thought I'd start a thread about video editing, since this is the main reason that I sometimes use knoppix.

I love the open shot 1.4.3 video editor with knoppix 7.0.5.

I've been trying to edit some large .vob files and openshot seems to hang part way through. Interesting kino editor can play the file all the way, but can't seem to save to another file type.

Today, I tried the WinFF converter and while it took a while, it was able to create a new file (choose wmv) when I enter past a few corrupted places. I can play the new wmv file all the way through with openshot.

Have to watch that I have enough disk space on the video file drive USB.

Openshot seems to be very fast and the basic features are easy to use.

What tools are others using for video editing?

I'm reall

Video editing

Glad this editing is here. I also want to edit as I do in Windows using the Virtual Dub Package. I also tried to edit using OpenShot. I was disappointed. In windows with a very small install of VDub I can cut and save (very fast). I can correct interlace (sound and video) accurately. I started from scratch in knoppix 7.2 DVD on stick (Thumbdrive) Live - First, find the video 'Three Fingered Lightning' (Janko Rheinhardt) Jazz Guitarist story. It has a dead space 1 hr or so into a 1hr and 40 min film. VDub would allow me to cut the dead piece off the end and I would be finished (with a smaller video). OpenShot left me with a 600+MB file after the cut And it took an unusual amount of time for a simple 'cut, sync and save. Again, glad there is interest, but I see now that this area was started in 2013. Oh well, Thanks.
    Last edited by ttopp; 08-02-2014 at 08:30 PM.

Administrator Site Admin-
    It's hard to find a better tool than Virtual Dub, or one that can do nearly as many things. VD isn't always the easiest to use, but it is very capable when you can figure out the corrects steps to take to do your task.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thank you. Yet, Unix in general, has been used; before Dos, windows, mac, etc. to edit video (cut and append) sync audio and video, or re make (at night) using different Codecs, a new updated video, ready by morning. What did they use? I want to use Calibre in 7.2 for my library, and it is not here. (off the track, sorry) - Using VDub vs Unix, Linix, Knoppix; you would think, someone, would have shared; a set of video tools, that are both useful and accurate - And, - have been around along time. Thanks. Ps. I tried to install VDub as a wine app but was not successful.

Hi Dave.
    I've got a .avi movie, want to slice a thirty minutes .avi clip from it.
    VLC gives me the clip in .ts, and when trying to convert it to .avi gives me a file with sound but without image,
    How could the job be done?

Thanks,
    Eduardo

Administrator Site Admin-
    Eduardo,

I don't intend to cut in front of Dave here and I still hope that he responds. I do expect that he has more video editing experience with Linux than I. But just to join the conversation:

VLC is pretty impressive in what it can do, more than just video playback. Still, it wouldn't be my first choice of tools for this task. I hope that someone can give you VLC settings to avoid the TS file production, but I don't know how to do that.

My first thought was that you didn't quite post enough information. Saying that a file is an AVI file really doesn't tell enough. AVI is a container that can hold video files encoded with a choice from a very large number of codecs. You really should state what codec the original file is encoded with. Also, is this the same codec that you want used for the 30 minute result? Once you cut to the TS file and then tried to go back to AVI you could have been re-encoding the new AVI with any codec, it doesn't seem likely to me that the re-encoding would have been with the original codec by chance.

My personal choice of tools to do the video edit would be Virtual Dub (VD). It takes a few minutes to learn to use and isn't the most obvious tool, but it is amazingly powerful. It can cut the 30 minute segment out of your video without ever re-encoding it to another codec (for retaining all of the quality of the original). Or, if you need the new clip encoded differently (for a different device that doesn't support the original codec, or to reduce the file size with a more efficient codec, or even change the size of the output video to fit a small portable device), VD can do that.

Full disclosure: my use of Virtual Dub has been exclusively under Windows. But a quick check showed me that it should be there on your Knoppix disc too. So I would definitely suggest that you look at understanding the Virtual Dub tool while you wait for a response from Dave. It is a little tricky to get started with, but the simple cut without re-encoding should be easy enough. Once you get past that you'll find that you can do things with it that you never even thought that you could do, although they may take a few minutes of setup and a lot of poking through the options.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thanks Harry!
    I finally sliced the movie with Ubuntu/Avidemux, which I couldn't find in K repository.
    Anyway, this is what I know about the original file, from Ubuntu/Properties:

GENERAL
    Container: Audio Video Interleave (AVI)

VIDEO
    Dimensions: 848 x 476
    Codec: ITU H.254
    Framerate: 30 frames per second

AUDIO
    Codec: MPEG-1 Layer 3(MP3)
    Channels: Stereo
    Sample rate: 44100 Hz
    Birate: 128 kbps

Will try to learn VD, just in case.