Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Success -> USB Memory Key to Store Knoppix Configuration

Junior Member registered user

Success -> USB Memory Key to Store Knoppix Configuration

I'm using a 32 megabyte USB memory key to store Knoppix'e configuration and home directory data. It works fine, but I have a few questions.

I had a hard time figuring out the device name for the USB key. I looked in /var/log/messages and it was always empty. I looked inthe daily message and found the following:

# dmesg | grep sda
    Attached scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
    SCSI device sda: 64000 512-byte hdwr sectors (33 MB)
    sda: sda1 sda2 sda4
    #

So i made a mount point mkdir /mnt/usbkey and then mounted sda with mount -t vfat /dev/sda /mnt/usbkey. That worked OK, I could save files to the new mount, but I couldn't select /mnt/usbkey in KNoppix's save configuration dialog.

I could select floppy, /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, or /mnt/sda4 in the save configuration dialog. Apparently these got automounted somehow. Selecting /mnt/sda1 resulted in a save configuration error. Selecting /mnt/sda4 worked perfectly. It also worked fine for creating a home directory image. The config and home directory also restore correctly on boot up too.

Where did /mnt/sda1, /mnt/sda2, and /mnt/sda4 come from? Knoppix must have automounted them? Why did /mnt/sda1 not work, but /mnt/sda4 work?

What was the sda: sda1 sda2 sda4 part of the daily message telling me?

I guess the plan is to just pop a USB memory key in, let Knoppix automount it, and go from there...

-jb

I brought the USB Memory Key home and tried it on my Dell notebook. It didn't see Knoppix's configuration or home directory files. It gave the same error I was getting with a floppy drive (/dev/ Is a directory - Mount failed, retry? [Y,n]. Efforts to save the configuration failed.

Plugging the card in after the computer booted created the same three new mount points I got on my IBM Thinkpad at work. Knoppix's save configuration again listed /mnt/sda1, sda2, and sda4 mount points, but only /mnt/sda4 would successfully save the configuration. Viewing sda4 in Konqueror showed Knoppix's configuration files and also the other files I had copied at work on my work computer.

After saving the configuration on my home computer, booting with the knoppix lang=us myconfig=scan home=scan parameters worked correctly.

Conclusions:

Wait until Knoppix boots before putting the USB Memory key in for the first time.

A Knoppix configuration saved on one computer will not necessarily boot and work on another computer.

Although Knoppix's save configuration program lists /mnt/sda1, sda2, and sda4 for options, only /mnt/sda4 will work successfully.

-jb

Senior Member registered user
    you may try :

fdisk /dev/sda to check what is really on the disk. It could simply be that the 'disk' is format and partition in such a way that sda1 and sda2 are just those FAT extended partition stuff which contains no real fs and only sda4 has it.

This is similar on a harddisk with more than one FAT partitions. On my machine(HD), it says :

hda1, hda2, hda5

and hda2 is not usable as it is just a 'container' for hda5 and the rest, if there is any. As for why your sda1 is not usable, it could be because the USB key drive is bootable and hda1 stores some information there and it is not really a FAT.

curious to know what you see with 'fdisk /dev/sda'

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    curious to know what you see with 'fdisk /dev/sda'
    Here's what it looks like. Interesting that the other partitions actually exist on the USB memory card. I'm beginning to think they are involved in a password scheme the Buslink memory key has.

root@ttyp1[knoppix]# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 32 MB, 32768000 bytes
    2 heads, 32 sectors/track, 1000 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 ? 29215178 31850952 84344761 69 Unknown
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(68, 13, 10) logical=(29215177, 1, 6)
    Partition 1 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(288, 115, 43) logical=(31850951, 0, 23)
    Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda2 ? 26586242 55803140 934940732+ 73 Unknown
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(371, 114, 37) logical=(26586241, 1, 26)
    Partition 2 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(366, 32, 33) logical=(55803139, 1, 1
    Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda3 ? 41 41 0 74 Unknown
    Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(371, 114, 37) logical=(40, 0, 14)
    Partition 3 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(372, 97, 50) logical=(40, 0, 13)
    Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.
    /dev/sda4 1 53673648 1717556736 0 Empty
    Partition 4 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
    phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(0, 0, 1)
    Partition 4 has different physical/logical endings:
    phys=(0, 0, 0) logical=(53673647, 1, 32)
    Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

Partition table entries are not in disk order
    root@ttyp1[knoppix]#

-jb

For some reason, Knoppix stopped detecting the memory key I was using. Sometimes it would detect it, sometimes it would not.

Since I already had "issues" with the multiple partitions, I thought I'd get Crucial USB compact flash holder and start over with a new card. I use compactflash cards for my camera, so I have several small cards laying around.

Knoppix is unable to detect my USB compactflash card at all. It does not appear in /proc/scsi/scsi or dmesg or /proc/partitions. When I plug it in, the LED illuminates and the hard disk spins up for a second, but the device never shows up... Of course both cards work fine in Windows 2000...

Is there a forced hardware scan that I can run to discover the USB memory?

-jb

Senior Member registered user
    most likely than not, it cannot see your reader(or should I say it doesn't like your reader). If that is the case, either you have to recompile a new kernel(well a new module but since linux kernel and modules are so tightly coupled, it is better to compile everything) or you may wait for a newer KNOPPIX which may contain 2.4.21 that has more USB storage device support.

Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    most likely than not, it cannot see your reader(or should I say it doesn't like your reader). If that is the case, either you have to recompile a new kernel(well a new module but since linux kernel and modules are so tightly coupled, it is better to compile everything) or you may wait for a newer KNOPPIX which may contain 2.4.21 that has more USB storage device support.
    I think you are right. USB is very finnicky... My BusLink USB memory key works all the time on my ThinkPad at work and about 50% of the time on my Dell Inspiron notebook at home. When I get the directory error on my Dell, I just power off, then power on, then type the myconfig and home parameters. It usually sees the USB memory key after the second or third time.

The Crucial USB compactflash reader failed on both computers 100% of the time. I tried it with three different compactflash cards and they all failed.

I read in the Cheatcodes files that Knoppix would read the knoppix.sh file from the root of the CD at boot time. I removed some white papers to make room for the knoppix.sh file and the configs.tbz file. Unfortunately Knoppix started in a Knoppix Lite mode with the message Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Maybe those pdf files have to stay there...

Any idea when Knoppix with the new kernel will be out?

-jb

How to fix USB Key for config or persistent home dir

Good afternoon all, I've been travelling these forums a lot trying to solve my problem of my USB key not being accessible for saving config or for setting persistent home directories. Wasn't able to find much in the way of answers, so I started messing around on my own.

I used fdisk /dev/sda in Knoppix shell and found that there were indeed four partitions on my measly 32mb Sony Microvault. For some reason none of the partitions were accessible though without a significant amount of tweaking. I went ahead and deleted all 4 of the partitions on my key and verified that they were indeed gone.

Next I simply plugged the key into my Windows XP box (gotta keep one around for Visual Studio work) and formatted the drive as FAT16 (for some reason when Sony ships them they are formatted FAT12, which is quite useless)

I then went back to my Knoppix machine and plugged in the key and the icon automatically appeared on my desktop as a mount to /dev/sda1. I am now able to save my config as well as create a persistent home dir on the key. I have since tried this same technique on a number of different keys I was having problems with, every one works like a charm.

Hope that helps.

Wally Lawless
    http://www.power-coder.com

I had the same problem with /dev/sda1-4 being recognized, but only /dev/sda being actually usable when there was only one partition. This FAT12 vs FAT16 thing may be the root cause.

I worked around it by making 2 partitions on the key using the vendor supplied tool, but the FAT16 reformat sounds better.

hi all..

i've been having trouble trying to mount my sony memory card as well.. following through some of the above suggestions i have found that my card too is coming up as FAT12..

Disk /dev/sda: 16 MB, 16220160 bytes
    4 heads, 16 sectors/track, 495 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 64 * 512 = 32768 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 1 494 15795+ 1 FAT12

is there anyway to format the card to FAT16 using knoppix?.. i find i can mount the device but can't see anything on it.. any other suggestion?

Cheers in advance..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast