Thread: Step by step - Remaster Knoppix 7.0.5 CD w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle

Lightbulb Step by step - Remaster Knoppix 7.0.5 CD w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle

Greetings. I don't know much about Linux and I don't pretend to (well sometimes I do). For the last few days I was having trouble with the included Virtualbox on the 7.0.5. DVD. For a recovery environment. I also wanted to trim down the image. So this is how I remastered the 7.0.5 Knoppix Live CD for live-USB booting w/ Virtualbox 4.2 from Oracle. The problem I was having is that the kernel module would have to get reloaded every boot, so this guide takes are of that by way of a .desktop file to autostart the custom script (that this guide will show you) so it executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup upon every reboot.

This is a step by step guide and as such, it's pretty long, which is why I cannot use the forum and its cool formatting..This is first post so I can't post attachments. But I uploaded the .txt file here:

(KnoppixRemastering-Virtualbox4-2-HOWTO.txt)

I hope it helps anyone with the issues I was having.

Thank you.
    -l33ch

---------------------------
    I've removed posted link because it doesn't work.
    wps
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-19-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    You know about the Remaster HowTo?
    .. so this guide takes are of that by way of a .desktop file to autostart the custom script (that this guide will show you) so it executes /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup upon every reboot.
    Why don't you describe only this step in detail?

eh..nevermind. Too many roadblocks to be able to post here to begin with (No attachments. Limit on the post...which can be limited by the attachments..)...so I resorted to 3rd party file-hosting link..which of course doesn't work, but wouldn't have needed to if it wasn't such a hassle begin with. I'll post somewhere else, while Knoppix is awesome, this place it seems is not very efficient when it comes to being able to put forth help to try to help others. So be it. Here, tried it again if anyone cares:

http://www.gogofile.com/Default.aspx...813622500_5806

Moderator Moderator
    I've some notes to your "Step by step" and I hope you'll not discouraged by this.

To remaster Knoppix is not easy, especially with the chroot method. The preferred way nowadays is to use a flash disk installation of Knoppix and adapt all as you need it within this installation. For Knoppix CD version you need an USB stick with minimal size of 4GB, for DVD version minimal size 8GB. If you only want to install the latest VirtualBox version, then remaster with chroot method is an overkill.

If you have a flash disk installation, you can use the following instructions.

Download both files
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...heezy_i386.deb
    http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...0.vbox-extpack
    as you did it and save them to '/home/knoppix/Desktop'. Open a terminal and type:
    Code:
    su
    aptitude purge virtualbox?
    cd /home/knoppix/Desktop
    dpkg -i virtualbox-4.2_4.2.12-84980~Debian~wheezy_i386.deb
    • For CD version only: you'll get error messages because dependencies problems; therefore

Code:
    aptitude update
    aptitude install virtualbox-4.2
    Now go on within the terminal:
    Code:
    usermod -a -G vboxusers knoppix
    /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    virtualbox
    The GUI of Virtualbox opens. Select "Files => Preferences => Extensions => the icon 'Add packages'" and install
    Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.12-84980.vbox-extpack.

Close the GUI. Now you can start with "System Tools => Oracle VM VirtualBox" the new installed version.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-21-2013 at 06:54 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Within your "Step by step"
    Now we need to make a script.sh file that reflects the settings from the .desktop file we created.
    Keep Terminal emulator open.
    Right click on desktop in GUI, and select create New->Blank file. Name the file myscript.sh. (no period)
    Do not muddle things! If you are in the chroot, remain in the chroot.

I did the enviroment settings for the chroot in "krhowto_2" of the HowTo so that you can use graphical tools within the chroot not only as user knoppix but also as root. Therefore type in your terminal "leafpad", create your file and save it where you need it.
    Just create an empty txt file and make your changes. After making changes, save the file to:
    /KNOPPIX-DATA/home/knoppix/.config/autostart
    Don't edit anything within '/KNOPPIX-DATA/'. '/KNOPPIX-DATA/' is only used by the system to display you the content of the persistent memory. If you miss a file within '/home/knoppix/' in your remastered version, you did a mistake; perhaps you don't store it at the right position or you forgot to run the script "krhowto_4" once more.