Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix V7.2.0

seeking proven download mirror(s) for 7.2 DVD en iso

Hi Werner,

Would you please read my previous post on the problematical download from kernel.org and direct me to a mirror known to have a good copy (ie. downloaded iso successfully burned and tested) of the 7.2 en DVD iso?

thanks

Moderator Moderator
    I did my download and md5sum without errors from
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
    but DE DVD ISO.

"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    I did my download and md5sum without errors from
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd/
    but DE DVD ISO.

"ftp.uni-kl.de" is the server from "Technische Universität Kaiserslautern" where also KK teaches.
    Thanks Werner. I should probably have waited to hear from someone who's downloaded the en version successfully, but have gone ahead and started the download. I should know in about 90 minutes whether I've got the same problem as at kernel.org. I've looked at the two bootonly downloads' md5sums, thinking they might have been mixed up, but neither one matches the sum I get from my download.

Having lots of fun today. After half a gigabyte of K7.2 was downloaded from uni-kl, Seamonkey's download manager suddenly showed the download as "cancelled" (certainly not by me). And when I tried to resume the download, it started from scratch, with the same ETA as before, almost three hours. So I think I've wasted enough time for now.

And when I finished editing my previous post to reflect this, that was refused too, because of the administrator's time limit of 10 minutes for post edits (suggestion to admin - maybe you could tell the poster this when he begins to edit his message, rather than waiting until he's ready to save it).

Oh, there is one other interesting detail. The newly "cancelled" download also shows as a complete .iso file, with the proper icon, just like the one from kernel.org. As I mentioned previously, my experience up to now is that an incomplete download is given the .part extension and a text icon. But maybe linux or Seamonkey has recently been "improved" to create this misleading effect...

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Oh, there is one other interesting detail. The newly "cancelled" download also shows as a complete .iso file, with the proper icon, just like the one from kernel.org. As I mentioned previously, my experience up to now is that an incomplete download is given the .part extension and a text icon. But maybe linux or Seamonkey has recently been "improved" to create this misleading effect...
    Why do you insist on sticking to Seamonkey when there are several other alternatives, including command line tools?

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    Why do you insist on sticking to Seamonkey when there are several other alternatives, including command line tools?
    Probably because I'm familiar enough with Seamonkey from years of using Puppy Linux that I can usually detect when something has changed in the security settings and and other functions, such as control of the mouse wheel, and figure out how to reconfigure them.

I run Firefox occasionally, mostly to use plug ins not available to Seamonkey, like download helper. But I don't feel in control or safe with firefox. With Opera and Chrome it's even worse... Last time I used Opera, I had to get major help to set up a tool to use Google translate on web pages. And a few months later, I'd completely forgotten how to access it again.

So all in all, I'd say the reason is that I'm relatively comfortable with it, as I used to be with IE5.

Knoppix 7.2 EN download update

Last night I managed to download the complete iso of Knoppix 7.2 en via http from uni-kl using Firefox in Puppy Linux. The iso passed the md5sum test, the DVD I burned passed the testcd test, and I was able to do an "i" usbflash install to an 8GB SDHC card, which booted without issues, and seems to run ok.

So it may be that my previous two failed attempts to download the iso via http from kernel.org and via ftp from uni-kl had something to do with the browser I used, Seamonkey 2.17.1.

I have run into one strange problem already with Knoppix 7.2 - when I try to open the "software center" app to download packages, nothing happens, I have to use Synaptic. In last year's version, it was the other way around - I couldn't get Synatpic to run, but Software Center did the job.

Moderator Moderator

3D support for Knoppix 7.2.0 as a VMware virtual machine guest.

Hello,
    If you are interested in trying Knoppix 7.2.0 within a VMware virtual machine guest
    you may consider using using this vm which allows Knoppix to recognize the graphical hardware
    acceleration and 3D rendering provided by VMware and use the compiz 3D effects (as the cube):
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/115...607#post129607
    Please provide some feedback.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles

Quote Originally Posted by ruymbeke View Post
    Hello,
    If you are interested in trying Knoppix 7.2.0 within a VMware virtual machine guest
    you may consider using using this vm which allows Knoppix to recognize the graphical hardware
    acceleration and 3D rendering provided by VMware and use the compiz 3D effects (as the cube):
    http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/115...607#post129607
    Please provide some feedback.
    Best Regards,
    Gilles
    thanks. I am interested, but question my competence or the adequacy of my hardware. My usual machine is a ten year old pentium 4 with 2GB of 233MHz RAM and a chip video controller. Plus I don't feel I really understand the concept of a virtual machine, and especially it's limitations, adequately.

However, I've passed your suggestion and the series of links on to a friend who has played with both Knoppix and VM quite a bit, in the hope he'll be interested enough by it to download Knoppix 7.2 (he's asked me to give it a report card, and he should know better by now).

I'm mostly stuck on simple little problems, like figuring out how I can run virus scans on my downloads, websaves, and mail attachments under Linux, so that they don't infect my Windows systems. This may well be the one reason why I'm still running a three year old version of Puppy - Lucid 5.28 "lupuplus"- it supports X-fprot, unlike Knoppix, apparently.

Every year I try to figure out how to use ClamAV in Knoppix. Maybe this year I'll succeed, but I'm not very hopeful. If I do, maybe I'll go on to try to figure out why no one in the Debian camp has made similar update and real-time gui for Fprot or some other freeware AV app for linux.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast