Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix V7.2.0

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix V7.2.0

Klaus Knopper has finished the new version and supplied for download from the mirrors.

Moderator Moderator
    Here you can see the differences between Knoppix V7.0.5 and V7.2.0 DVD version

both without listings of the libs.

Senior Member registered user
    Hi, Werner!

Why are the packages libc6 and libc6-dev missing on your lists?

Moderator Moderator
    The listings above are without the libs; but here the listings of the libs only

Release Notes

You can read the release notes for Knoppix 7.2.0 / ADRIANE 1.5 at http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix720-en.html

I have created metalinks for this release .
    Ideally download via bittorrent to reduce load on mirrors and in the spirit of sharing .
    But if you are stuck behind a corporate or a university firewall you dont need to suffer for download speeds.You can download from multiple mirrors simultaneously and the speed limit is limited to your download limits only if you use metalinks for download.This also helps ensure the mirror load is spread across all mirrors.
    Pls consider downloading via metalink compliant plugins of firefox like downthemall or aria2 client or any of your other favorite clients.
    I have also written up instructions on using aria.
    You can download metalink files in both formats , meta4(IETF approved) and older version 3 format from my site below.It also has detailed instructions.
    http://bhavesh.freeshell.org/blog/wo...456321720.html

Also if you run into any issues with my metalinks file pls use this existing forum thread to discuss this and I will fix any issues.
    Last edited by patelbhavesh; 06-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.

I have downloaded, burned, and booted the new Adriane, and so far I have just two questions: Why was Firefox/Iceweasel removed from the Graphical Programs menu, and how can I manually restore its menu entry? Considering that Iceweasel is the only Graphical Application I still use, launching a full x session seems like overkill, not to mention that I find the rest of the desktop just gets in the way. I might be alone in this opinion, but it seems a siginificant downgrade in useability.

misnamed or corrupted Knoppix7.2 iso on kernel.org?

Corrupted copy of K7.2 en DVD on kernel.org?

I set Seamonkey to download the 3.8 GB (non-boot) version of 7.2 DVD en from kernel.org via http last night, and it seemed to be downloading steadily as I went to bed. But when I checked this morning, the browser download manager showed the download as finished, and the downloaded file showed as a complete iso in the download directory on my hard drive, but both browser and file manager showed the iso's size as only 1.5GB.

I then ran md5sum on the iso, and it returns the sum:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN2.iso

NOT the md5sum for the file listed on kernel.org:

836d36f87624c930a8ee375ca5492d69 *KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso

Since Seamonkey thinks the file downloaded successfully, there's no way to resume the download, IF it was somehow botched. The logical conclusion seems to be that the file is corrupted or misnamed on kernel org.

I'd like to avoid having this happen again, so can anyone direct me to a mirror site where they know the file is available and passes the md5sum test?

Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Corrupted copy of K7.2 en DVD on kernel.org?

I set Seamonkey to download the 3.8 GB (non-boot) version of 7.2 DVD en from kernel.org via http last night, and it seemed to be downloading steadily as I went to bed. But when I checked this morning, the browser download manager showed the download as finished, and the downloaded file showed as a complete iso in the download directory on my hard drive, but both browser and file manager showed the iso's size as only 1.5GB.

I then ran md5sum on the iso, and it returns the sum:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN2.iso

NOT the md5sum for the file listed on kernel.org:

836d36f87624c930a8ee375ca5492d69 *KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN.iso

Since Seamonkey thinks the file downloaded successfully, there's no way to resume the download, IF it was somehow botched. The logical conclusion seems to be that the file is corrupted or misnamed on kernel org.

I'd like to avoid having this happen again, so can anyone direct me to a mirror site where they know the file is available and passes the md5sum test?
    I have learned the hard way in the past is that downloading huge files via browsers is not fool proof.
    So in this particular situation I can recommend that you run the following command in a windows command prompt or on Unix shell
    wget ---complete <url from kernel.org of the iso>

wget is available on most OS'es including windows.
    Before you discard your 1.5gb file i highly recommend trying the above command as it has worked for me in the past to resume a botched file download via browser.

it is unlikely that the file on kernel.org is corrupted as I checked the file size via curl command.But i cant be 100% sure though as I don't have the file yet myself.

Quote Originally Posted by patelbhavesh View Post
    I have learned the hard way in the past is that downloading huge files via browsers is not fool proof.
    So in this particular situation I can recommend that you run the following command in a windows command prompt or on Unix shell
    wget ---complete <url from kernel.org of the iso>

wget is available on most OS'es including windows.
    Before you discard your 1.5gb file i highly recommend trying the above command as it has worked for me in the past to resume a botched file download via browser.

it is unlikely that the file on kernel.org is corrupted as I checked the file size via curl command.But i cant be 100% sure though as I don't have the file yet myself.
    Thanks for your reply. My own preference has always been to download with a download manager. But for some time now I've been unable to do this with Knoppix downloads.

I did try with kernel org, but ran into two problems

1. when I open the download url with the browser, the navigation bar lists only "knoppix.org".

2. when I go looking for the download by navigating the directories on kernel org, I'm unable to log in for access.

I'm not familiar with either the wget or the curl command, but I am familiar with incomplete downloads, and they typically appear with a text icon and the extension .part in my file manager. The 1.5GB file I described had the .iso extension and the proper icon.

Furthermore, when Seamonkey's download is interrupted, it typically resumes the download the very next time the browser is online. I tested this yesterday, and it works as expected. So, with all due respect for your curl test, I still think there's reason to believe that the file is mislabeled or corrupted on kernel.org, and would rather not tie up my bandwidth and use up my limited monthly download quota on a second attempt without some assurance that I'm downloading a good copy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast