Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestion to Klaus Knopper: release combined 32- and 64-bit base for remastering

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    1.... I hope you'll post more details of just how you
    manage your Knoppix re-masterings.
    2. My op ed earlier was slanted toward asking a minimum of Klaus K, trying to stay
    within what I think his own framework for producing Knoppix might be.
    Other Linux distros have their own minimal configuration from which to build up one's
    own tailor-made system. KK could easily dump a 'baseline' iso with very little
    additional effort.
    3. I think you and I may represent two extremes in using Knoppix. I prefer a mininal
    configuration, and like to build up my small Knoppix from overlays. You seem to represent
    the 'power user' and can and do tackle larger modifications of Knoppix to get what you
    want. One size to begin or end with clearly wont suit both of us.
    4. I concur that Klaus K would much prefer a good working example of code for any
    suggested improvement of Knoppix. Gilles' contributions to init show how effective this
    approach can be.
    1. I have already posted the scripts&essential details, but I will update it on the next round of remastering. I dropped 7.2 because of kernel incompatibilities with VMware Workstation 8.X - I didn't want to upgrade WS8 then.
    2. I don't completely agree with the opinion that a minimal Knoppix is such a simple task - all the extra issues that have been with CD versions over time clearly demonstrate something else, I think. But of course, something way smaller that the DVD stuffing will suffice. What is needed, is a "knxbootstrap" package as an expanded derivative of debootstrap - and I really wish someone would look into it. Although non-trivial, it shouldn't be that hard to do.
    3. I'm not so sure that the same starting point won't work for us - I think it very well could. In fact, I would far prefer starting with something smaller, than running the risky purging business I have to do now, to wipe out some 1-2 GB of unneeded packages. I have totally given up projects to produce a more minimalist Knoppix by extensive purging - always end up with system crashes because the deb package dependencies handling is so far from foolproof.
    4. The best way to influence KK is probably to make real improvements that still stay within his "paradigm". Creating auxiliary deb packages could be a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Capricorny View Post
    I don't completely agree with the opinion that a minimal Knoppix is such a simple task .
    I only mean it seems like it will be difficult for everyone to agree on what constitures some optimal minimum.
    For example, PCLinuxOS and Porteus come with some real small minimal configs, but I always want LibreOffice, Geany and Flash,
    even in my most minimal configuration. I can give up gimp and virtualbox, since I don't use them much. I'm sure everyone has
    their own mix of 'standard' programs. Klaus K's 32-bit CD image comes awfully close for me.

. The best way to influence KK is probably to make real improvements that still stay within his "paradigm". Creating auxiliary deb packages could be a way.
    I agree in principal. My impression is that KK may accept improvements (code) word-for-word from the pros among us,
    but will quite likely reword worthy contributions from those of us less l'arned in the trade. I expect some working script
    will usually suffice to get his attention. That is, I don't think one needs go as far as deb packaging if you are onto a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    I agree in principal. My impression is that KK may accept improvements (code) word-for-word from the pros among us,
    but will quite likely reword worthy contributions from those of us less l'arned in the trade. I expect some working script
    will usually suffice to get his attention. That is, I don't think one needs go as far as deb packaging if you are onto a good idea.
    The deb package step is not for KK, but for sharing with other Knoppix users/modifiers. A common problem with all the Knoppix derivatives, is updating. Implementing the modifications as a series of deb packages, and updating those as needed, allows for simple updating of the modified versions with new Knx releases.

As for a workable minimal Knx also suited for 64 bits, I think the CD version plus a few tools may come rather close. A cloop/squashfs image of size 1-1.5 GB should suffice today, I think.

Check out the Debian Live project

For those still struggling with this idea, I suggest you take a look at
    the Debian Live project: http://live.debian.net/
    This looks like one solution to obtaining a tailored minimalist LiveUSB.
    The site says can define your own or use one of their pre-built versions.

Have started following the Debian Live project, yes. For an eventual later merge with Knoppix, I think there may be a substantial amount of adaptation to be done. But for my own part, I don't think there is an alternative right now. I must have a pure 64 bit platform to work from. Could have used Ubuntu instead, but there's much more of an agenda behind that distro. So for purity's sake

Nice to hear from you.

I must have a pure 64 bit platform to work from.
    I'm not sure KK has or will commit to a full 64-bit Knoppix.
    That may be beyond his needs.
    And a lot of work.

Have you looked at 64-bit Mint16 Xfce?

I'm only interested in things that are at least as close to pure Debian as Knoppix. Therefore, I may be a bit too skeptical about Mint, being, essentially, an Ubuntu derivative.
    While KK himself has not been interested in making a pure-64 Knoppix so far, he has in no way been negative towards such attempts, and as you well know, current Knoppix is, actually, a hybrid system if you use the 64-bits kernel (which I do as much as possible).
    And as soon as we have a package like knxbootstrap working, there will be far less extra effort needed to make a Knoppix-type adaption.
    Last time I looked into it, 3 years ago, it looked like Knoppix was way ahead of Debian Live in most respects. Hopefully, they have closed som of that gap now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123