Wouldn't it be nice to have a Knoppix base with all the great hardware detection/support on 32-bit as well as 64-bit kernel as a base for remastering, without having to remove any applications and possibly break something ?

I have tried starting with the CD version and just adding to that. All went well, and the result was a KNOPPIX compressed file system sized close to 1 GB. Quite content with my acomplishment, I booted the result with a 64-bit kernel, but much to my dismay the usual fabulous hardware support was gone

I suggest a barebones Knoppix release version comprised of the basis for the Knoppix DVD with only LXDE desktop and only the applications in the categories System Tools, Universal Access and Preferences, and in Accessories only the bare necessities: File Manager PCManFM, LXterminal and Root Terminal. LeafPad is nice to have, but one can make do with vi if necessary. Knoppix Base should have all the tools necessary for detecting and handling hardware, including printing and wireless networking and Bluetooth and laptop power handling and so on.

When you build the Knoppix DVD version, do you start with a basic platform as described above, and then start adding applications ? If so, could you release this intermediate platform as Knoppix Base ? It would be a great starting point for remastering, and you would also have a nice stable useful milestone in your build process.

Maybe this version could save you a lot of questions about which packets are safe to remove. When people ask that, you could simply refer to the barebones release and say "start from this and add what you want. Don't remove anything."

best regards
Freddy