Thread: Libre Office GB Thesaurus

Libre Office GB Thesaurus

There is a long-standing unresolved problem with the GB Thesaurus in Libre Office on Linux. The GB wordlist is incorporated into the US thesaurus file, but if you set the system language to en_GB, LO will not read the US file and the thesaurus button remains greyed-out as a result. The fix in many other distros is to go into /usr/share/mythes and add symbolic links from the th_en_US... files to their th_en_GB... equivalents. However, there is no /usr/share/mythes directory in the USB stick Knoppix. Where are the en_US thesaurus files located in Knoppix?

Senior Member registered user
    Hi Gondarc!

If you read the list of packages preinstalled in Knoppix 7.2.0 (DVD or CD) you won't find the 'mythes-...' packages. Thus you have to add the thesaurus using the package management of Knoppix. I would suggest the following commands.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mythes-en-us mythes-de
    If postgresql fails you need a certificate server.crt. In this case I would issue
    Code:
    sudo sudo make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil
    sudo dpkg -a --configure
    Then you should be ready to try the fix you mentioned.

I hope that helps.

Yes, not only helped, it did the trick. Thesaurus installed and working as en_GB.

BTW, my apologies, because I was under the mistaken impression that the US thesaurus was part of the default Knoppix packages. Not sure why ... but I have got used to individual custom uses of Linux, some of which have been very individual ... so if I cannot find something, I ask, however obvious the question may be!

Thank you for your swift help.