Thread: 7.2 installed on hdd, key board layout problem

7.2 installed on hdd, key board layout problem

I installed 7.2 Knoppix (form DVD) on HDD. I live in Turkey, and need to use Turkish keyboard layout.
    I booted from DVD using keyboard=tr option, so I got Turkish layout on Live session from DVD.

When I boot from HDD, I could not switch to tr keyboard layout.
    I changed the layout to tr from Preferences>KDE System settings>Input Devices>Layouts, and also removed us layout. Switching policy is set to Global. Shortcut for switching is set to Alt+Shift. Layout indicator is Show Flag in the same keyboard settings layout panel.

I rebooted, but there were no changes. I added keyboard switcher to the task bar and it is showing US flag as the only option.
    In /etc/X11/app-defaults/XVkbd, I edited ≠include ''XVkbd-turkish'', to no avail.
    I am sure that Turkish character set is included in Knoppix 7.2 DVD, but how to make it work on HDD install?

What is the correct way to add and be able to switch to a local keyboard layout(s) can any knowledgable person guide us please?
    My searches within the forum and google showed that there are others who would benefit from a working solution. (or if there is none this would be a valuable information as well)

Incidentally, though I think it is not pertinent for the keyboard problem, I encountered a boot loader problem as well.

I performed a HDD install on a 50 gb partition. Upon reboot from HDD I realised that Grub was not installed at MBR despite that Knoppix had warned me that it was overwriting another grub installation (from a previous Ubuntu install). So I installed Pinguy (ubuntu) 12.04 to another partition, thus got Grub working and recognising Knoppix install.

Many thanks for your time

Emir Yusuf

Moderator Moderator
    http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering

In your case with HD installation you have to insert (using a root terminal) the proper cheatcodes within
    '/boot/grub/menu.lst' at the "kernel" lines. Knoppix doesn't use KDE4-settings.

The warning message of GRUB install and MBR is only inportant in case of dual boot installation. If you don't have a dual boot installation, you must install GRUB at MBR; otherwise you cannot boot Knoppix.