At the moment, I am trying to make a Windows software (run inside Wine 1.5) able to properly display CJK characters on stock KNOPPIX 7.2. The goal is to have English menu but CJK characters being shown as "characters" rather than square boxes. Also, the trigger of input method
(Ctrl-Space) is functional. After fiddling around for "some" time, I came to realise that unsettting LC_ALL before starting LXDE is the key point, particularly crucial for input method frameworks like gcin and its fork (hime).

At the moment, my LC_ALL is set to en_GB.UTF-8 as the KNOPPIX is booted with an environment variable of lang=uk. I have tried to save the following content as /home/knoppix/.xinitrc or /home/knoppix/.xsessionrc or /home/knoppix/.xsession or /etc/X11/Xsession.d/46environment,

----- code section -----

#!/bin/bash

unset LC_ALL
unset LANG
export LANGUAGE="en"
export LC_CTYPE="zh_TW.UTF-8"
export LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
export LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"

----- code section -----

So far, only when 46environment was used, the LC_ALL was unset and LC_CTYPE set as desired, which was checked by running locale in LXTerminal. 46 is just a blind guess as it's a number between 45knoppix and 80im-switch.

Since I am a Linux & KNOPPIX noob, I just wonder if it is a good idea to create that 46environment file just to set these environment variables.

Besides, there is a typo in Line 593 of /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig which echoes XMODIFIERS="@im=scim" to /etc/sysconfig/i18n when KNOPPIX is booted with lang=tw. According to the manual of scim, this @im=scim needs to be @im=SCIM; SCIM needs to be capitalised. Otherwise the Ctrl-Space keycombo won't trigger scim to respond the request when the keycombo is sent from xterm and scim used as the default input method framework.
This typo can be trivial because IBus framework is the default IM method for KNOPPIX when East Asian languages are used. When scim is preferred, it may lead to Wine ignorring the Ctrl-Space event sent from the Windows software...then moaning and groaning...