Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix Doesn't Boot On Windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think your graphics adapter is too new to be fullly supported by Knoppix 7.2.0. You could try cheatcodes like nodrm or nofb.
    Hello klaus2008 thanks for the help.

I doubt my PC is so advanced anyway these are my specs: http://prntscr.com/2m0h0n
    Can you tell from this info if that's the case?

Otherwise can you point me in the right direction on these nodrm or nofb cheatcodes and how to use them?

Thank you.

Moderator Moderator
    .. or where is this PCManFM located?
    You can find PCManFM within the panel at the bottom of the screen - the 2nd icon from left.

Have a look at Cheatcodes.

Quote Originally Posted by klaus2008 View Post
    I think your graphics adapter is too new to be fullly supported by Knoppix 7.2.0. You could try cheatcodes like nodrm or nofb.
    Yes it worked thank you!

Of course problems didn't stop there since, once in Knoppix, it wouldn't let me mount my Windows partition citing an "unclean file system" and problems with the hibernation file despite I have hibernation and sleeping disabled.
    This can be sorted disabling quick boot in bios and restarting the system (not shutting down and re-powering) if anyone ends in my same problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    After starting Knoppix in the VirtualBox go to the menu of VirtualBox => Geräte => USB-Geräte (I think in english "Devices => USB devices") and select your ext3 usb drive. After a short time you'll see it within PCManFM and you can mount it with a mouse click.
    Hi Werner P. Schulz,

Although I managed to make Knoppix work that solution is not the best to copy stuff off my ext hdd since it's very slow and cuts me off from my PC for hours on end.
    I did try your suggestion in VirtualBox but the hdd never appeared (I waited 15 minutes or so) although I did get the Windows pop up that tells me it's
    loaded in VirtualBox.

Any further step I might attempt?

Thank you.

Moderator Moderator
    I did try your suggestion in VirtualBox but the hdd never appeared (I waited 15 minutes or so) although I did get the Windows pop up that tells me it's loaded in VirtualBox.
    Are you sure the usb device doesn't appear within the left side of PCManFM?
    Please follow my suggestion once more and tell us the output of
    Code:
    blkid
    and
    Code:
    mount
    in the terminal.

Are you sure the usb device doesn't appear within the left side of PCManFM?
    Please follow my suggestion once more and tell us the output of
    Code:
    blkid
    and
    Code:
    mount
    in the terminal.

Hi Werner P. Schulz,

This is the result: http://prntscr.com/2nzja4

Any good news?

Thank you

Moderator Moderator
    I cannot see in your example if you are working within VirtualBox or not. Please compare it with my example; here you can see my external drive "KNOPPIX" (/dev/sdb1) mounted as '/media/sdb1'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I cannot see in your example if you are working within VirtualBox or not. Please compare it with my example; here you can see my external drive "KNOPPIX" (/dev/sdb1) mounted as '/media/sdb1'.
    Hi Werner P. Schulz,

Yes I was working within VirtualBox when i took the screenshot.
    It is all the same to your picture, I just miss the tick symbol next to the usb hdd but, as i wrote previously, Windows does tell me it disconnected the usb drive and connected it inside Virtualbox.

Maybe i created the virtual box with wrong parameters (I used the recommended ones in the walkthrough)?

Thank you.

So when I add the disk like you showed me in the picture it doesn't appear as I told you.
    But if after a while I try to add it again this is the result:

http://prntscr.com/2o63r1
    http://prntscr.com/2o63sc

I don't mind waiting but, if that is the problem, how long does it take?
    The drive does nothing and doesn't spin so i doubt is that.

Thank you.

Moderator Moderator
    I don't mind waiting but, if that is the problem, how long does it take?
    If all went well you can see the USB drive in the VirtualBox guest within about five seconds. I fear your external drive has a serious damage.

Senior Member registered user
    @ Threshold:

I would suggest that you terminate your VirtualBox session and wait until Windows says your HDD has been connected. Then restart your VirtualBox session and reconnect your HDD to the VirtualBox.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast