Thread: kn-backup.sh wont recognise ext2 partition

kn-backup.sh wont recognise ext2 partition

Hi all,
    I've installed knoppix7 to a 16Gb USB memory stick (/dev/sdb1) which I have been using for approx 12 months. Up till now, whenever I make changes to my system I manually backup knoppix-data.img to my HHD, however, I have just discovered kn-backup.sh on http://www.wp-schulz.de/.
    I downloaded sh-backup.sh and installed to /usr/sbin. Using another 16Gb USB memory stick (which incidentally was formatted with knoppix7 on it) I have created a second 8Gb primary partition formatted to ext2 using gparted. When I run "sudo testdisk /list" I get the follow:

Code:
    Disk /dev/sda - 15 GB / 14 GiB - CHS 14786 64 32
         Partition			Start        End    Size in sectors
     1 * FAT32 LBA                3  60  1 14786  39 32   30274944 [KNOPPIX]

Warning: Bad ending sector (CHS and LBA don't match)
    Disk /dev/sdb - 15 GB / 14 GiB - CHS 14900 64 32
         Partition			Start        End    Size in sectors
     1 * FAT32 LBA                3  60  1  8712  63 32   17836160 [KNOPPIX2]

Bad relative sector.
     2 P Linux                 8713   0  1 14899  63 32   12670976 [Backups]
    I presume the warnings above regarding CHS and LBA is because knoppix formats these disks according to MiB and not cylinder boundaries.
    When I run kn-backup and select "Backup whole persistent memory" I get the following error: "Cannot find any partition to use!"
    I have read all relevant info on http://www.wp-schulz.de/ and can't see where I am going wrong...please help!

Moderator Moderator
    Yes, there is a problem and I'll look for it this night.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 03-06-2014 at 08:04 PM.

The new version of kn-backup.sh works GREAT!

Hi Werner,
    I just down loaded your newer version of kn-backup.sh and it worked great. I've just done a complete backup and everything seems to have worded. It shrank my whole persistent memory down from 2.4 GiB to about 1GiB. My knoppix-data.img file is 3.8 GiB, so this is great, I''l therefore be using your program for my backups rather than manually copying knoppix-data.img every time I want to backup.
    I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I saw your message from yesterday but didn't reply as I was doing some investigations of my own. It appears the memory sticks, which are "Verbatim store 'n go", create a secret partition where it is possible to lock the drive with a password. As a result, when you reformat it locks this secret partition at the very start of the disk so that any new partition starts at approx sector 8000 (4Mb). I've only just discovered this and have down loaded a program from verbatim to delete this locked partition. Hopefully this will allow me to repartition the drives so the CHS structure is neat and tidy, not that it really matters I suppose if it is formatted with logical block access (LBA) enabled.
    Anyway, once again, thank you very much, I'll let you know if I have any other problems. As you probably already know, backing up is the easy part, it's when you need to restore a backup that is the important part!!!
    Kind regards,
    Peter
    Last edited by AussiePete; 03-07-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    Hello Peter,

I hope you'll test also the restore options of the script the next day and you don't find any more errors. I've tested the script over and over but not the last little change within it

Greetings Werner