Thread: Making Firefox/Iceweasel accessible by Orca in Adriane-Knoppix 7.2

Lightbulb Making Firefox/Iceweasel accessible by Orca in Adriane-Knoppix 7.2

My friend, Cosmin, found the solution for this problem. In terminal please type:
    Code:
    sudo su
    cd /usr/lib
    ln -s i386-linux-gnu/gtk-2.0 .
    After this you can start in Adriane -> Graphical programs -> Start full X session and run Iceweasel. No downgrade or are other actions are required.

This fix is described in full here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=743580

Well, I can confirm that this fix works. still need to downgrade Adriane-x to version 1.4 to get the Firefox option in the graphical programs submenu, but at least that down't require adding Debian oldstable to one's sources.list. Naturally, this fix needs to be made known to Claus Knopper in hopes that it can be implemented in the public release of 7.3 and the Firefox option readded in the newer version of adriane-x.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Mewtamer View Post
    still need to downgrade Adriane-x to version 1.4 to get the Firefox option in the graphical programs submenu
    I think that only uncommenting the lines 29-31 from /usr/bin/adriane-x will do the trick instead of downgrading.

I had a feeling there was a config file for the menu entries, but had no idea where is was located. Removed a few #'s and the menu option reappeared.

Senior Member registered user
    Good news.
    KK was already following this problem. In regard to its solution,
    presumably that noted earlier in this thread, he says:
    already saw this, tried it and it works.
    What really puzzles me is the fact that this patch is not necessary
    when running orca from a gnome-session, something must be different there.

I will include the patch in the after-cebit-edition.

Thanks&regards
    -Klaus
    Last edited by utu; 03-20-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Well, after using this fix a few days, I got to say Orca 3.4 is an overall improvement over Orca 2.3 with my only complaint being its insistence on reading the time elapsed field on YouTube videos(at least with HTML5 playback). Trying to find a fix for that little annoyance, I discovered that in 7.2, the Orca preferences window is inaccessible and this fix doesn't work to make it accessible(and I double-checked with vanilla Knoppix 7.2 to confirm my alterations weren't the cause). I guess this bug was overlooked on account of being overshadowed by Firefox/Iceweasel being inaccessible and the Downgrade Fix fixing both problems. As for the above fix being unneeded when using Gnome instead of LXDE, I am going to assume crippling over-specialization: by making Orca better integrated into the Gnome Desktop, the orca devs negatively impacted compatibility with other DEs.