Thread: 64-bit LXDE Debian.LiveUSB

Senior Member registered user

64-bit LXDE Debian.LiveUSB

Code:
    Partitioned 2 Gb SanDisk to 1200 Mb fat32, 800 Mb ext2; labeled ext2
        as persistence; echoed "/ union" >> /media/persistence/persistence.conf.
    Desktop time was already set to local; changed format to %l:%M %P.
    Used external wifi to add b43, GParted & ttf-mscorefonts via Synaptic;
        borrowed Knoppix's repositories for b43 & ttfs.
    Added LibreOffice, Leafpad & Terminal to panel; set panel to auto-hide.
        Removed Lock Screen & Minimize Windows from panel; added volume control.
    Reduced browser cache limit to 25 Mb; adjusted fonts & underlines.
        Added ChezHoye, changed homepage & added bookmarks.
    Changed desktop image to Japanese print, adjusted background color; 
        removed Install Icon from desktop.
    Added  synclient TouchpadOff=1 to /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45x11-Synaptic  
        & ok to /etc/rc.local    
    Added Count & Channel apps to ~/.bashrc not /etc/profile.
    Adjusted terminal font & foreground.  

To do list:
        Needs boot time parameter 'persistence' added for each boot. 
        May need terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp to restart screen.

With some effort the Debian.Live iso makes a fine LiveUSB with persistence.
    The Debian.Live product's persistence approach, although elegantly simple, is
    keenly obscured by its documentation. The iso carries Debian's disdain for 'non-free'
    wifi drivers to an excruciating extreme. This may be overcome by temporarily applying
    Knoppix's 'non-free' repository definitions to Debian.Live's Synaptic. Included 
    applications are not the very latest: Linux 3.2, LibreOffice 3.5, IceWeasel 17,
    PCManFM 0.9.10, but that may contribute to the very stable and smooth feel of the system.

The basic system is contained in a normally ro compressed form on a squash 
    filestem in a fat32 partition; persistence is provided by a non-compacted rw overlay 
    in a second ext-formatted partition. There are adequate device assignments such that
    numerous non-compact overlays might conceivably be compacted and transferred to 
    squashfs devices on the fat32 partition, but that's not currently advertised or developed 
    in any way that I know-of. 

The trick to Debian.Live is as follows: make a second partition of est2, 3 or 4;
    label that partition 'persistence'; provide a 'persistence.conf' file on the root (/)
    directory of the ext partition; the conf file needs only one line '/ union';
    finally, when you boot up with the other partition, include the parameter 'persistence'.
    Forget all these quote marks as you apply this elegant process.

Senior Member registered user

A small refinement:

If you get tired of adding 'persistence' at boot with your Debian.LiveUSB, you can tweak
    the initial choice menu a little. Add a persistent mode stanza, to live.cfg,
    and let this be the new default. You need to do this with another Linux, MOUNTING
    the Debian.Live unit inertly as a bunch of files, rather than executing it as a live system.
    Mine showed up at /media/sdc1/isolinux/live.cfg. YMMV.
    Code:
    label live-amd64-persistent
        menu label ^Live (amd64-persistent)
        menu default
        linux /live/vmlinuz
        initrd /live/initrd.img
        append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true boot=live config quiet splash persistence

label live-amd64
        menu label ^Live (amd64)
        linux /live/vmlinuz
        initrd /live/initrd.img
        append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true boot=live config quiet splash

label live-amd64-failsafe
        menu label ^Live (amd64 failsafe)
        linux /live/vmlinuz
        initrd /live/initrd.img
        append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true boot=live config memtest noapic noapm nodma nomce nolapic nomodeset nosmp nosplash vga=normal