Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: problem installing knoppix usb

problem installing knoppix usb

I want to boot knoppix from USB. (not buying a usb stick with it on but making it)

I downloaded an ISO from
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    Knoppix V7.2.0 dated 24/6/2013
    it looks like the latest there.

I don't know if this was a bad or silly method, but I went to pendrivelinux.com and ran their universal usb installer and pointed it to the ISO.

It started talking.. like a screen reader talking while stuff came on the screen. Then it wrote near the bottom on the screen
    "fixing recursive fault but reboot is needed" It didn't reboot, I shutdown and turned it on again.

it continued or restarted the installation, and it wrote something like that i shouldn't restart or shutdown during the live installation.. I didn't.. and there was nothing talking about a reboot.

It eventually when to a GUI which is just a "knoppix" folder in the top left. I double click it or right click it and it disappears for a moment and reappears. I see nothing resembling a start menu either.

Does anybody know what's happening?

Perhaps there is another way I could try to build it to rule things out?

Moderator Moderator
    Why don't you use Flash disk install from Knoppix itself to prevent problems using pendrivelinux?

Did you download KNOPPIX or ADRIANE_KNOPPIX? The last is a special version for blind people. If you have this version, read more about Micro-Remastering.

I'll give that a go, i'll go get hold of a DVD to do it (looks like it requires it). As for why I did it the way I did. I googled knoppix usb live A bunch of pendrivelinux links came up. And the other link I tried that came up was http://knoppix.net/get.php which said download cd/dvd buy cd/dvd buy usb. Anyhow, I shall burn a DVD and create the USB.

I just burnt the ISO to a USB it talks as well, it just talks less. I don't think the ISO I burnt is for blind people.

I am pretty sure I downloaded this one
    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...3-06-16-EN.iso

Is there a way I can verify that from within knoppix what version it is?

I can pinpoint when it talks.

When it sits at saying "root@Microknoppix" for a bit, then suddenly it says something about something sequence, and launches the GUI.

Also when I choose reboot, it exits to "root@Microknoppix" then says "initiating shutdown sequence".

By the way, i'd like to be able to exit from the GUI to the shell, but logout just doesn't get out of the GUI.

And i'd like it to just stay in the shell and let me load up the GUI with a command

And i'd like to be able to restart/reboot without it ejecting my cd. Because I may actually want to boot into knoppix again!

And, I know about the 'knoppix nodrm 2' cheatcode, but i'd like that no gui loading automatically effect automated so I don't have to type it each time.

also regarding installing to usb, which is where i'd make the amendments,
    I don't see the option "Boot with Knoppix CD/DVD and select 'Knoppix/ Install KNOPPIX to flash disk' "
    I don't see any menu at all. I have booted from the DVD

Thanks
    Last edited by terapin; 05-16-2014 at 07:34 PM.

Enter the cheatcode "2" at the beginning of the boot. You can edit the syslinux.cfg file to make this automatic. Read "micro-remastering Knoppix" available online. or if the GUI boots, open a terminal and enter "init 2".
    Last edited by dwstarke; 05-18-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dwstarke View Post
    Enter the cheatcode "2" at the beginning of the boot. You can edit the syslinux.cfg file to make this automatic. Read "micro-remastering Knoppix" available online. or if the GUI boots, open a terminal and enter "init 2".
    Problem i'm having is that with a cheatcode of knoppix 2, or of knoppix nodrm 2, then fine it doesn't start the GUI on boot, that's good. But, if I want to start the GUI I can't, I do startx and the GUI doesn't start.

With a cheatcode of knoppix<ENTER> the GUI starts but I don't want it to start automatically, only when I want.

Also, when the GUI starts I don't know how to exit the GUI. When I click the bottom left and "logout" I see "shutdown , reboot, suspend, hibernate, logout, cancel". and when I choose logout, it goes out the GUI then goes back into the GUI.

Moderator Moderator
    To start the GUI use "init 5".
    To switch to terminal use "Ctrl Alt F2" and revert to GUI with "Ctrl Alt F5".
    "Logout" only restarts the graphical session for user knoppix.

ok thanks..

I have a USB with Knoppix 7.0.4 it's fine apart from it being not so up to date.

And I have a DVD downloaded and burnt recently with Knoppix 7.2.0

The DVD talks though. I've narrowed down when and what and I have found some other mentions of those spoken words "intitiating startup sequence" and "initiating shutdown sequence" on the web.

If I do "knoppix 2" as cheatcode, then when I get to the prompt, I type "init 5" it says "Initiating Startup Sequence". And when I choose "shutdown" in the GUI, it says "Initiating shutdown sequence".

If I just go with the default KNOPPIX, so it runs init 5 automatically, then ditto, it says "Initiating Startup Sequence". And ditto on Shutdown.

My DVD ISO is KNOPPIX_V7.2.0DVD-2013-06-16-EN_.iso
    ftp://ftp.plusline.de/pub/Knoppix/kn...3-06-16-EN.iso

I have found some others mentioning it saying these words, they mention it as a surprise they ran into, so doesn't sound like they were running a special blind version of knoppix.

http://linux.activityworkshop.net/hardware/testing.html
    The only surprises are a complaint about an unrecognised screen mode (selecting any from the list offered seems to meet with success) and a startup sound-clip ("initiating startup sequence").

And google threw up an O'Reilly book called Knoppix hacks, which mentions the same thing
    "Before using any of the multimedia tools, make sure that Knoppix has identified your sound card. The first clue that Knoppix has detected your sound card is the “Initiating startup sequence” sound played by Knoppix as it loads your desktop."

So this is all without loading up the Adriane menu. I do like the Adriane menu though not the screen reader like talking that sometimes occurs with it.

I'd prefer it if it didn't say "Initiating startup sequence" and "Initiating shutdown sequence". I don't think it speaking those particular words has anything to do with Adriane as this is even without starting Adriane and it's not an Adriane version and others who are clearly not blind have written of it. How can I stop it doing that?
    Last edited by terapin; 05-20-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    You can use the cheatcode "nostartsound".

Senior Member registered user

An alternative for you.

Quote Originally Posted by terapin View Post
    I'd prefer it if it didn't say "Initiating startup sequence" and "Initiating shutdown sequence". I don't think it speaking those particular words has anything to do with Adriane as this is even without starting Adriane and it's not an Adriane version and others who are clearly not blind have written of it. How can I stop it doing that?
    Greetings, terapin
    As an alternative to Werner's solution of disabling sound altogether,
    you might consider disabling just the particular sounds that trouble you.

I think these might be startup.ogg and shutdown.ogg as played through mplayer.
    You can test this by calling up mplayer at MainMenu>Sound&Video>GNOMEMPlayer;
    Then, using mplayer go to the location /usr/share/sounds: File>Open>/usr/share/sounds/;
    Click on the .ogg choices to verifiy these are the ones in question.

I think it likely if you just change the names of these files that may keep
    these files from playing while allowing your use of mplayer for other things,
    rather than disabling it altogether.

You might give this a try and let us know if that solves your problem as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast