Thread: knoppix64 v7.2 runs Linux 3.9.6-64 but all apps are i386

knoppix64 v7.2 runs Linux 3.9.6-64 but all apps are i386

My first post, so please bear with me.

I've used Knoppix several times over the years, primarily because Windows had died. This time, I haven't been able to recover my data. So, I created a Knoppix 7.2 bootable 4GB USB drive using the Pendrive utility. Later I did the flash-knoppix and made a persistent 16GB flash drive that I use as the only OS with my diskless Acer7560 laptop. All in all, it's pretty cool!

Ok, I figured out how to set the timezone and fix the clock. I played around and added a few more desktops using apt-get. Since I'm a developer, I used Synaptics to add a few tools: Algol, Cobol, Fortran, NASM, etc. After awhile, I realized that even though I was running Knoppix64 which uses the Linux64 kernal, only the I386 packages were being selected and installed.

I edited my apt/sources.list file, and added the [arch=amd64] to each deb http stmt - No change. I went to www.SimplyLinux.ch and used their Debian Source List file generator to create a source.list file that only pointed to the amd64 repositories - No change. While going thru all this, I noticed two things: 1) dpkg itself is an i386 app, so it won't install or update or upgrade anything that is NOT i386. And 2) the Synaptics Package Manager ALWAYS says a package is broken when it tries to install an amd64 app.

Anybody got any ideas on how I can install some amd64 apps to complement the 64-bit kernal?

Thanx!

Moderator Moderator
    All within Knoppix is 32 bit version. Only the Knoppix DVD or the rematered CD has also the Knoppix 64bit Kernel, but no 64bit applications at all. You can use the 64bit Kernel option for chroot of 64bit OS installations or in case your computer has 4GB RAM or more.