Thread: samba - window won't close on wrong user/pass

samba - window won't close on wrong user/pass

HiI am trying to experiment with samba, wanting to select some folders or select an entire partition for sharingthe issue i'm currently having occurs during this-first, I manage to start the samba server, Whether i use the method of "start"..knoppix..samba server or $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start it seems to start fine.and i've doneknoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a knoppixto create a password for that userthen, I could add a share editing /etc/samba/smb.confbut regardless of whether I create a share on the current machine or notIf I do "start"..knoppix.."scan/mount network shares" and as samba has started, I see MicroKnoppix listed. I choose Microknoppix.It asks me for a user/passif I get it right then it says about mounting knoppix home directory..if I get it wrong, then that window won't close, how can I close it?

Moderator Moderator
    Your posting is hard to read and I suppose nobody here will try to understand it. Therefore please:

• Use double "new line" for new section.
    • You can use the "Go Advanced" button to have more abilities to format the posting; before sending your posting use "Preview" to see how it looks like.
    • If "noscript" (within Iceweasel/Firefox) is active for http://knoppix.net/forum/ disable it for this website; otherwise you cannot use the format abilities.
    • Below the editor area is the "Additional Options" area. With "Attachments => Manage Attachments" you can upload images and after this insert them in your posting.

Here is the contents of my post which I haven't yet figured out how to write in this forum!
    Code:
    http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=mkUhmwJJ
    As to the question of posting on this forum. I will attempt some new lines now, line1line5 I kid you not I put 4 new lines after line1 and before line5, and it removed all of them! When I hit preview, it didn't just show the preview removing the new lines. If I write some forum post in HTML, (useful as HTML has to indicate a new line and I click 'preview' it eats the HTML from my post, but previews it with new lines. And if I hit preview again, it eats the new lines from my post. The OS I am running is Knoppix booted off USB. Browser is Chromium. The only extension is Proxy SwitchySharp 1.10.4 which I suppose it comes with in knoppix.

Moderator Moderator
    I've tried to format your posting using Firefox (Iceweasel). It seems Chrome cannot handle with the formatting tools of the Forum and postings with Chrome are broken. With Firefox you'll see this toolbar.
    toolbar.png
    ------------------------------------------------

Hi

I am trying to experiment with samba, wanting to select some folders or select an entire partition for sharing
    the issue i'm currently having occurs during this-
    first, I manage to start the samba server, Whether i use the method of "start"..knoppix..samba server or
    Code:
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/samba start
    <ENTER> it seems to start fine.
    and i've done
    Code:
    knoppix@Microknoppix:~$ sudo smbpasswd -a knoppix
    to create a password for that user
    then, I could add a share editing /etc/samba/smb.conf
    but regardless of whether I create a share on the current machine or not
    If I do "start"..knoppix.."scan/mount network shares" and as samba has started, I see MicroKnoppix listed. I choose Microknoppix.
    It asks me for a user/pass
    if I get it right then it says about mounting knoppix home directory..
    if I get it wrong, then
    that window won't close, how can I close it?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-23-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Thanks.. I'll provide relevant screenshots.

I start samba.

I set up a password for user knoppix. $ sudo smbpasswd -a knoppix

That works fine

I do Menu...Knoppix...Scan/Mount network shares

MicroKnoppix comes up, because I started the samba server.

Screenshot from 2014-05-23 15:11:07_.png

I double click it, and it prompts me for a user/pass
    Screenshot from 2014-05-23 15:17:25.png

then if I enter the wrong user/pass or just cancel, I get this screen

Screenshot from 2014-05-23 15:18:20.png

and I can't close the window. I try OK I try cancel I try the x, nothing closes it.

Screenshot from 2014-05-23 15:19:50.png

I know that if I had a share it'd be ok it'd list it i'd select the share and click ok and it'd move onwards with that. But when I have no share it has this bug such that the window cannot be closed(at least not by standard simple methods).

How can I close the window?

Moderator Moderator
    I've also get this window and didn't found, how to close it.

But, there is a misunderstanding about Samba use. You started Samba server within the Knoppix installation and added a share. To get access to this share, you need another computer, which works as Samba client. If this is a Linux computer you have to install "smbclient". The same computer cannot work as server and client for the same share.

For experience purpose you can use VirtualBox and for example start Samba client in the OS of the host and start Samba server in the OS of the guest (within VirtualBox).

thanks that makes sense. I thought so though I wanted to see what'd happen, for example, if i have a share and see it listed and double click it. turns out it mounts it in /media e.g. after double clicking the share in that window, it says it'll mount it, then mount -l shows
    //192.168.1.6/abcd on /media/MICROKNOPPIX_abcd

I see though that mounting the share is unnecessary.

I see there is a share called 'knoppix' when I access \\microknoppix
    I suppose it is created from the share called [homes] in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file
    The scan/mount network shares window shows it too. (I won't be mounting it)

I see that when I do smbstatus without any parameters, it always lists the abcd share that I made(whether it is being accessed or not), but it only lists the knoppix share when another computer has it open. Any idea why the discrepancy? Or how to list all shares regardless of whether they are being accessed or not?

Thanks

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    The same computer cannot work as server and client for the same share.
    I have to correct me.

Although it doesn't make sense, you can nevertheless offer a share as Samba server and access as Samba client this share within the same computer.