I'm not going to get into a religious holly war with someone who is so certain of his "information" but doesn't seem to have anything to back it up except positive hopes. I also doubt that most readers here know exactly what dye type is used on their Verbatum disks. If you want to believe that Sony discs made in Japan are great but others are junk, I can show you images of Sony discs made in Japan that, within months of first using them looked like frost on the window on a cold winter morning, (and, of course, lost all of the data written to them) some even looked that way as soon as the single package plastic wrap was removed. This has occurred with multiple batches with different product numbers and different labeling, and to a friend as well as to me, indicating that it is not just the environment that I stored them in. It has never happened to me with other brands, only Sony. ImageShack seems to have lost that image, as well as my old free account, so here's a copy at an alternate location: http://i.imgur.com/m3Ut0zS.jpg

I suggest that anyone following this discussion don't take either of us on our word, but rather do some experimenting for themselves. You can track down the tool of your choice for detecting soft errors, I use "VSO Inspector". Then make multiple discs from your ISO. I suggest burning at 4x for a DVD and 4x to 8X for a CD. Go ahead and burn another copy at the maximum rated speed of the media and drive. Label them as to burn speeds and then test each for soft errors. For extra credit, keep both discs around and then do the same tests in six months and a year to see how the slow speed burns compare to the high speed burns for bit rot.

Over the years I've had this discussion many times, either with users who had discs that would not boot at all, or in at least one case I remember the user mentioning how painfully long it was taking to boot Knoppix. Suggestions to burn at low speed are usually resisted, but there are many old posts in these forums where someone has come back and acknowledged that a low speed burn was all that it took to correct their problems.