Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix V7.4.0

Hello!
    Will Knoppix 7.4 CD version available soon?
    Best regards, Oleg.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    ....can you tell us other websites (not restricted to USA) whith which you have problems now? After using the script which K Knopper inserted within Knoppix, I've no problems to watch Youtube -...
    Hi Werner,

In addition to Hulu I've been watching some USA TV networks on-line with Knoppix up through June of this year. Not all worked with Knoppix but many did (if I remember correctly ABC would not play under Knoppix even before June). I completely expect that they are blocked outside the USA. I also watched movies on Crackel.com, I don't know for sure but expect that the content providers also have them blocking outside the USA. If I come up with another Adobe Flash based site that you can get to I'll let you know, but I don't have one to offer at the moment.

Of course, the regional restrictions are not limited to US providers. I would love to be able to watch the BBC and some Canadian providers but they are similarly blocked for US viewers.

As to Youtube, I'm pretty sure that they have moved away from Flash, I think they are using HTML5 and WebM and may be using other technologies. (Here's a link to an article from 2011: http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/04...ploads-to-webm ) As a test I just shut down Linux Mint on the laptop in question and booted my Knoppix 7.4 DVD. This is a fresh boot with no persistence. I was able to go to youtube.com and play videos without ever doing the Knoppix Adobe Flash install. So I'm not surprised that you can play Youtube videos after doing the install, but that doesn't indicate that the install worked. If you come up with another site that you think is using Adobe Flash and that I might be able to access from inside the USA, please let me know and I'll give it a try.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Moderator Moderator
    As to Youtube, I'm pretty sure that they have moved away from Flash, I think they are using HTML5 and WebM and may be using other technologies.
    Hello Harry,

for me I've got an error message from www.youtube.com about some needed installation when I want to see a video - either with Iceweasel or Chromium. After installation of flashplugin-nonfree both browsers can play youtube videos.

With Iceweasel (and proper settings of NoScript) I can also watch videos from abcnews.go.com and www.crackle.com. With Chromium videos from abcnews.go.com doesn't start and www.crackle.com ask for the latest Adobe tool.

Administrator Site Admin-
    On Youtube, I had only tried Chromium since I already knew that I didn't want to muck with the noscript issue in Iceweasel. Chromium played the video, confirming that Adobe Flash was not involved, so there was no reason to investigate further.

Sounds like you saw the same Crackle error that I've seen, it doesn't think we have Adobe Flash installed even though the script told me that the install went well. That is what I'm seeing on the USA exclusive sites as well, and why I'm now using Linux Mint. Mint isn't perfect, but at least I can watch the videos that I want to watch with it.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

I had no problems watching Youtube with Firefox/Iceweasel from 7.4 without installing Flash, but I did have to disable No Script to get the HTML5 to work though. You might want to look into that if you are still having problems.

My biggest problem with 7.4 is that Kdenlive won't run. I click on it and nothing happens. Tried re-installing it to no avail. Not sure what to try next.

And for the record, this is the updated ISO from what I can tell. Downloaded it at 8 PM Central Time on the 7th in the USA. The MD5 hashes checked at 394bcd5149fbbd5e86cf10c16ccaa1d3. Any ideas on what to try to get it working?

Moderator Moderator
    The MD5 hashes checked at 394bcd5149fbbd5e86cf10c16ccaa1d3.
    And is the the check ok or not?

Is there a delay on the Adriane isos? For that matter, I can't even find links to CD versions of 7.4 that boot LXDE by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Not quite sure what you are asking, but 394bcd5149fbbd5e86cf10c16ccaa1d3 (as listed in my OP) is the MD5 that the ISO produced and it matches the MD5 that was contained in the file that accompanied it and on the download page. I included that number as I assumed the updated ISO would have a different hash and wanted to verify that I had the latest ISO. I downloaded it again last night and the hash is the same as the previous one. I downloaded another copy today from a different source and the MD5s matched with the first two. All three of them have the same problem, but I think I figured out what the problem is.

I fired up 7.2, verified that kdenlive ran properly, right clicked the startup icon, selected properties, then checked the startup command entry, then checked it on 7.4. Found that there were quotations around the %c entry in 7.2 (which worked), but not in 7.4 (which didn't). Edited the entry for 7.4 to contain the quotes and now kdenlive starts and runs. The complete start command should be kdenlive %i -caption "%c" %u from what I can tell, or at least that is what 7.2 has and what is working for me now. Hopefully that can be changed in the next update and have the information posted in Release Notes or something so others can deal with it.

Best I can tell, YouTube is the only major streaming site with enough sense and common courtesy to not require an external plugin instead of working with the tools most modern browsers have built-in. I've actually gone months without having Flash installed on account of Orca not being able to see Flash content and YouTube working a lot better in my opinion when its not trying to disobediently load the Flash player instead of the superior HTML5 player. I have no idea what Knoppix's Flash install script does, but I can share what errors I get when installing flashplugin-nonfree via Aptitude: As I understand it, flashplugin-nonfree doesn't contain the actual flash software, but instead uses wget to download flash and install the external software. With all my recent attempts, wget fails in trying to download a file from https://people.debian.org/~bartm/flashplugin-nonfree/ This an uncommon problem, but usually multiple attempts lead to a successful download and subsequent install, but wget has failed far more times than is typical. I have looked in the directory linked in iceweasel and downloaded the tar.gz I found therein, but have no idea what to do with it after decompression and extraction. To anyone more savvy at the low level provide insight as to why wget is consistently failing to download the needed files or what to do with the manually downloaded files? Also, can anyone with a working Flash Install and using Iceweasel tell me if YouTube still has that nasty habit of loading the Flash player even when you tell it to use HTML5?

Knoppix 7.4 EN locks up with screen displaying "flame-name Elektrosmog" is it hacked?

Just downloaded 7.4 EN. It passed the md5 test, and the burn was verified. But running knoppix testcd, I ended up with a frozen desktop display with text in background reading:

flame name "Elektrosmog size 256x1538" etc. The swirly blue image obscured most of the text.

I rebooted, and saw no error messages, but the boot was the slowest I've seen from a DVD, it showed the root prompt after displaying "graphic environment being loaded - please wait". It took minutes to display the penguin icon, and then finally froze the system with the same Elektrosmog screen.

I had to hit reset, nothing else worked to shut down or reboot.

I tried again, setting acpi=off, but got the same result. The Intel 83865G graphics controller seems to be recognized. No idea what the problem is.

I then tried it in my UEFI laptop, and that system didn't even recognize a bootable efi device, although the efi/boot directory is on the disk, and seems to be complete. Knoppix 7.2 was able to function under the UEFI environment on the same laptop.

Finally, I tried booting the LiveDVD on my ancient Compaq Presario, and there it worked, offering the normal desktop menus with the "compiz" desktop. But operation was so glacially slow, I couldn't really test it. Still, it loaded faster than on the much newer Intel Desktop with a cpu six times faster, and much more and faster RAM.

I downloaded my copy from TUWien

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast