Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix V7.4.0

Moderator Moderator

Knoppix V7.4.0

Today K Knopper has puplished the new DVD version of Knoppix.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/
    http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/

Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-07-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Torrent link inserted

KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso not really English?

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Today K Knopper has puplished the new DVD version of Knoppix.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/
    I just downloaded KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso via BitTorrent, fired it up in a VM, and find that the LXDE menus are all in German instead of English.

Was there some image-build mixup?

Moderator Moderator

Administrator Site Admin-
    Just found the same thing. Filename has EN at the end, but the menus are not English.

There is something that shows up on the desktop that looks like it is intended to install flash (very important for my use), but it doesn't seem to actually install flash.

With my ISP metering my downloads and threatening big fines if I exceed their capacity, even after an update is posted I'm going to wait until I see some favorable reviews before I blow another 4 gigs.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Thanks Werner

Your update wasn't there when I first looked, must have been posted while I was typing my post.

I always use the torrents, so it will be interesting to see how well the torrent client can correct this mistake. Certainly another good argument for using the torrents over the mirrors. But the way, for any of you refusing to learn to use a torrent client still and who downloaded the bad ISO from a mirror, a torrent client can still make the fix for you. Here are the steps you need:

Download and install a torrent client of your choice.

Download the torrent file and start the download in the torrent client. Give it a minute, but you don't need to download a lot.

Shut down your torrent client.

Find the download directory that was created. Find the ISO file among the set of Knoppix files. Delete it. Move in a copy of the ISO that you just downloaded from the mirror.

Restart the torrent client and let it resume the download. It should spend a few minutes checking the validity of each block of your ISO. It should find one or two bad. If all goes well it will replace just the bad blocks and then announce that the download is finished. Your new ISO file should now be right (or at least less wrong than the old one, but I'm not comfortable in saying that there will be no other bugs.)
    ---

Senior Member registered user
    FYI
    Distrowatch announcement of Knoppix 7.4 DVD
    http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08557

Yeah but with the screnshot of version 7.2

Moderator Moderator

I got the new improved English menu version of Knoppix 7.4 today. Actually, repaired my old ISO from yesterday with Bittorrent. Got the new torrent file, started my client. The scan of the ISO to find the bad or missing blocks took longer than actually making the repair and then start seeding. Had the fixed version in just a few minutes.

7.4 is working better on my hardware than 7.2 did. The menus are in English now (for the EN version).

Adobe Flash still requires running an install script (the install scripts now offer several additional pieces of software that they did not offer in 7.0). This was painfully slow, on my system it took about 45 minutes before I was told that Flash was installed successfully. However, it was not. Like 7.0 (which worked correctly previously but stopped working some time in July of this year), sites like Hulu tell me that I need to install Flash to view their content. As I used Knoppix mainly for web browsing, this will be a deal breaker for me.

When I saw the German menu version yesterday I thought that the install flash script had been moved to a link directly on the desktop. This turns out not to be the case, in English this turns out to be a tool to install Knoppix to a Flash drive. I have not played with this new tool yet. Likely will some time soon, but unless I hear that Adobe Flash is fixed without doing extensive Linux guru level editing, my use of Knoppix will be reduced.
    ---

Moderator Moderator
    ..sites like Hulu tell me that I need to install Flash to view their content. As I used Knoppix mainly for web browsing, this will be a deal breaker for me.
    Hello Harry,
    can you tell us other websites (not restricted to USA) whith which you have problems now? After using the script which K Knopper inserted within Knoppix, I've no problems to watch Youtube - neither with Knoppix V7.2.0 nor V7.4.0.
    When I saw the German menu version yesterday I thought that the install flash script had been moved to a link directly on the desktop.
    On the desktop of the DVD/CD version you'll find a symlink to the menu entrypoint of the flash install script. Since V7.3 (the CeBIT version) this script offers some new abilities. But it seems it's still a little buggy. For me I couldn't use the option to keep some parts of persistent memory.

Greetings Werner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast