Thread: Knoppix 7.4 - Virtualbox not working

Knoppix 7.4 - Virtualbox not working

Hi. I've noticed that Virtualbox is not working in Knoppix 7.4.This release boots by default using the knoppix64 option. I know virtualbox didn't work in 7.2 using knoppix64, but in 7.4 it doesn't work booting with knoppix either. This is the error I get:. Trying to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup as it suggests doesn't work: . The only solution I've found is uninstalling virtualbox and installing the one downloaded from virtualbox.org:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove virtualbox*
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i virtualbox-4.3_4.3.14-95030~Debian~wheezy_i386.deb
    Note that it's the i386 version, dpkg won't let you install the amd64 one. Does anybody know how to run virtualbox right from the CD? Thanks.

Member registered user
    Yes, I noticed that too today, when I decided to try out this "VirtualBox" thing.

I first tried it with a kernel rebuilt by me in 7.4.2. Didn't work.
    Then I tried it with the original kernel that K742 came with. Didn't work.
    Then I tried the very original shape of K742 I downloaded. Didn't work.

So my conclusion is (as you can see no one bothers answering your question - and now mine too) that these days Open Source software "developers" (or more precisely said "junkers") and especially "packagers" simply come up with a load of garbage they don't even bother testing, which they damn sure know it's never going to work, just for fun to see the multitude of "stupid peasants" trying to make their sh*t whip and even snap.

I really believe Microsh*t pays them all to dumb down, destroy and make all Open Source software a piece of unusable and stupid junk, so it can resemble Microsh*t's own stupid junk created by their own living brain donors.

Yep, that's what happens. Money talks.

Until 2006-2007 I think you could still talk about Open Source software.
    Today it's gone. It's just Open Source Garbage.

You can clearly see their attitude on forums where people asks them "Hey, can we have this / that elementary bug fixed" and the answer they give is "Well, why should we even bother. It's not even useful (because we say so) and we're not going to give a sh*t about you dumba**es, Ha Ha." (see the KDE forum if you want samples of that). Yep, the good ol' days of Open Source are gone forever!

Stay tuned, Hell is coming, riding on Stupidity.
    Last edited by chris_Xnest; 01-23-2016 at 05:54 AM. Reason: newlines seem to have been censored

Moderator Moderator
    You exaggerate!

You cannot judge on VirtualBox and look only within Koppix. Within Knoppix 7.4.2 KK has modified 61 tools and packages so that they work for Adriane. He also did his own Kernel version 3.16.3!

Try VirtualBox within a pure Debian installation.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 01-23-2016 at 10:52 AM.

Member registered user

Big big nightmare

OK, after a whole lot of pain, I realized Direct 3D will not work from a virtual machine, no matter what kind of machine that is.

But the next step I wanted to take was to try and have a same version of VirtualBox in my old Knoppix remaster (5.3.1) and also in the new one (7.4.2). After some digging I concluded the latest possible version that would agree to both is 4.1.44. (Just as with everything else O.S., the same rule applies to VirtualBox: the newer, the dumber!)

So I tried installing it in my old remaster. Surprise, (or maybe not, when I think about programmers' IQs these days) it doesn't work because the program is so stupid it can't see an extension pack already installed because the path to it is a symbolic link. Wow!!!

So I took the sources and built it from scratch using --disable-hardening as parameter to "configure". That did it.

But when it came to building the same sources in K742, big nightmare happened:

Compiler errors.
    Change the compiler version.
    More compiler errors.
    Patch the VBox sources after having a big headache figuring out the new age moronisms introduced in latest gcc versions.
    More compiler errors.
    Try to get the gcc-4.4.2 as debian packages and install them in K742.
    Found out that stupid dpkg has absolutely NO OPTION to just install whatever the hell I tell it to, without downgrading/removing anything if I say so.
    Try to get the sources for gcc/g++ 4.2.0 and just build it from scratch in /opt in K742.
    Compiler errors.
    Chase more moronisms in the newer gcc version used to compile the 4.2.0.
    Generate patches.
    Apply patches to gcc-4.2.0 sources.
    Found out that there is no clear documented way to build gcc/g++ so that, when you compile something with it, it will just have everything the hell it needs to do it. Just couldn't find its -pthreads for some reason... (Oh yeah!! Almighty Open Source!!).
    Gave up to the idea of building gcc-4.2.0 from scratch and retried with 4.6 after installing it in K742 from .deb packages.
    Chase compiler errors and figure out a patch.
    Apply patch.
    Compile.
    Error building the VirtualBox User Manual PDF, because texlive obeys the same OS rule as above (the newer, the dumber).
    Chase and google the cause for some stupid "restricted \write18 mode" garbage spit by texlive while building.
    Found nothing to get rid of the mess.
    Get the sources for some older texlive and try to build it in K742.
    More compiler errors.
    Chase error causes and figure out patches to get it to compile with newer gcc.
    Apply patches.
    More compiler errors, this time impossible to fix.
    Try to get texlive binaries already built and use them.
    Bash complains "no such file" when I try to execute "./pdflatex" even though the file is right the hell there.
    New age cretin bash! Good job bash team!
    Gave up trying to build a new texlive.
    Compiled VirtualBox with the --disable-docs option and just used the pdf manual built under my old remaster.

Hm, who needs computers anyway? I can get the same result much faster if I just sit in my couch, have a nice meal, watch a nice movie and then put a bullet through my brain.
    Last edited by chris_Xnest; 02-20-2016 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Someone uninvented newlines on this site?

Moderator Moderator
    Are you a masochist?

Why do you use outdatet Knoppix versions?

@chris_Xnest

I haven't had any experience with rebuilding virtualbox 4.1.44 but 4.2.16 on KNOPPIX 7.4.2. When building those .deb packages, there were two tweaks (VirtualBox Ticket #13185 and #11803) needed to be applied. Hope it helps.

Member registered user
    @Werner P. Schulz
    I'm not sure what you mean by outdated Knoppix version? Knoppix 7.4.2 is outdated? Or you mean the 5.3.1?
    Anyway, my old remaster of 5.3.1 will still be used until judgment day, because the quality of all software in it doesn't compare to any of the new age O.S. garbage I see today.
    And also because I have built a strategic stockpile of old hardware (mainboards+cpu+all else) which will make sure I can still use this remaster forever.
    And yes, I guess you can say I'm a masochist if your definition of masochist is "one who prefers good old tools instead of brand new junk".

@superman
    By the way, how exactly do you build the .deb package from sources?
    For the life of me I couldn't find any instructions on how to do that.
    The only thing I found is ./configure --packing or something like that which generates a .run self extract archive, but I can't persuade it to install exactly where I want (/opt/VirtualBox-4.1.44, and not where he wants, /opt/VirtualBox).
    So the only acceptable solution for me is to just copy the bin and lib dirs from out/linux.x86/release to wherever the mama I please (/opt/VirtualBox-4.1.44).

Those tickets you mentioned don't apply to VirtualBox-4.1.44 (fortunately), I never stumbled on those issues - which I guess only proves my hypothesis is right (the newer, the dumber - both programmers and the software they make).

Here's a sample of this hypothesis applied to a piece of Windblows software: a piece of software called 20-20, some wannabe "kitchen cabinet computer aided design environment".
    I had to use it some 6 years at work. In the beginning it used to behave correctly, then year after year they gave us updates, and with each updates more bugs: dimensions started dissapearing into thin air, sink cutouts vanishing from the layouts, elevations going upside-down and so on. It's like they gradually fired all their programmers and then hired janitors instead.
    Biggest piece of garbage I've ever seen posing as CAD software... biggest collection of morons posing as programmers.

@Werner P. Schulz
    Why do you think the guys at SuSE do a lot of backporting?
    It's always better to only apply new bugfixes to the same old (stable and reliable) version, instead of taking in all the entire new garbage and dumb new ideas they write in each new version.
    I don't believe in forcing end-users to be guinea pigs on which the software is tested, just because the idiots who write a piece of software are too lazy or dumb to test their own product before releasing it.
    I also don't believe in trying to write "user friendly" software which would only provide a "Start" button and a "Stop" button.
    If one is too idiot, maybe they should never try to use a computer.
    Get a stack of paper and a pencil and draw it by hand.
    Stop stressing programmers with idiot requests, like "owh, poor me, I can't count to 1024 'cause I missed that lesson in school, I can only count to 1000, so please make konqueror use KiKiMiMiBiBi, cause I'm too retarded ..."

Yeah right! Bachelor of Science!

Moderator Moderator
    .. if your definition of masochist is "one who prefers good old tools instead of brand new junk.
    No, a masochist is for me a person who tries to compile (configure, make and make install) something using an outdated mishmash of an Live system and not using for example the stable release of Debian.

Knoppix is a Live DVD with a mishmash of stable, testing, unstable, experimental and knoppix-debian. All of the 7.4.2 and especially of 5.3.1 moved in the meantime (in spring 2015) to the next level: stable → oldstable, testing → stable and so on. Also many of knoppix-debian has now newer versions.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-21-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    No, a masochist is for me a person who tries to compile (configure, make and make install) something using an outdated mishmash of an Live system and not using for example the stable release of Debian.

Knoppix is a Live DVD with a mishmash of stable, testing, unstable, experimental and knoppix-debian. All of the 7.4.2 and especially of 5.3.1 moved in the meantime (in spring 2015) to the next level: stable → oldstable, testing → stable and so on. Also many of knoppix-debian has now newer versions.
    Yep. And update the stable release of Debian too. Here's the best guide for I found for Debian updating and custom kernel compiling:
    Creating a Custom Linux Kernel in Debian GNU/Linux