Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V7.4.0/ failure with flash disk install

Moderator Moderator

V7.4.0/ failure with flash disk install

Did anyone with 7.4.0 a successfully flash disk install with overlay file (not partition)?

I've tried it in many ways but failed; nothing of the options worked for me. It seems the new version of the script "flash-knoppix" contains some serious bugs.

Senior Member registered user
    Greetings, Werner.

I can't answer your question directly; however FWIW:

I can report that Knoppix 7.4 will successfully record and use fat32 Knoppix cloops as did Knoppix 7.2.
    I'm using a 64Mb KNOPPIX1 overlay made from an initial reiserfs persistence file, which has now
    been re-formatted for subsequent changes.

I am using MakeOverlay in Knoppix 7.4 exactly as defined at
    http://knoppix.net/forum/showthread....hlight=overlay

If Knoppix 7.4 isn't working as you say, then there must be some trivial miscoding somewhere,
    because my experience says virtually all the necessary infrastructure works ok, and the amount of manual
    manipulation that I employ is minimal.

HTH

I'm using right now version 7.4 on a 16 Gb USB pendrive which I made with pendrivelinux from KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso a few hours ago. It works as long as I don't try to use any cheatcode on boot.
    This post is being made from this version of Knoppix. I have got a persistent home of 4Gb.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by Porteņo View Post
    It works as long as I don't try to use any cheatcode on boot.
    With 8 Gb SanDisk and 2.6 Gb reiserfs persistence,
    I have no problem using no3d and/or noimage cheatcodes with my Knoppix 7.4 LiveUSB.

Moderator Moderator
    My question was about flash disk install done by the Knoppix script "flash-knoppix" and overlay file. It seems for me, the script is unable to format the whole device with FAT32. Either I get the message "Flashdisk is not partitioned properly. The first partiton must be DOS/FAT32." or the message "mkdosfs: /dev/sda1 contains a mounted file system".

I've tested it with three devices which works without problems under other circumstances. And also partitioning with gparted first doesn't help.

My USB installation done by "flash-knoppix" and with overlay partition works well and I can use all the cheatcodes I need.

I'm using right now version 7.4 on a 16 Gb USB pendrive which I made with pendrivelinux from KNOPPIX_V7.4.0DVD-2014-08-01-EN.iso a few hours ago. It works as long as I don't try to use any cheatcode on boot.
    What happens or what error message do you get using a cheatcode? And did you ever try to use the cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?

What happens or what error message do you get using a cheatcode?
    Typing "keyboard=es" (without apostrophes) in boot it starts, asks for pass, informs of the loading of GUI and then...nothing! No penguin, no compiz, only a black screen until the machine is physically turned off.

Eduardo

Moderator Moderator
    And what happens with cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?

Can you switch with [Strg Alt F1] or [Strg Alt F2] to the console?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 08-23-2014 at 07:30 AM.

And what happens with cheatcode "knoppix testcd"?
    Machine answers "All files OK" but, after announcing that graphic interface is loading only a black screen appears.
    And no response is got from CTRL ALT F2.

I am also having an issue using the flash-knoppix setup script... I am trying to put knoppix on a thumb drive... the only options that work are as follows:

r Allow installation only on removable devices.
    sdb PNY USB 2.0 FD (62419.9MB)
    p Installation on FAT32 with additional overlay partition.
    Yes to format

this works fine, and I get a bootable thumb drive... but the whole point here is to make a "utility" drive so this doesn't really work as it creates a 4GB fat32 partition for Knoppix, and a ~55GB reiser partition... which is useless on anything NOT linux!

I guess I can delete the reiser partition and resize the fat32 partition, but then I loose the overlay option.

so what can I do to use the option of <4GB overlay file on the thumb drive using a ~64GB partition?

I am new to this forum so I would first like to say Hello to all. I realize that the request on this thread is for v7.4.0 while I am using v7.4.1, but I could find nothing in the version information that changed this issue. This post is meant (primarily) for Werner Schultz and "rudepeople". I will enumerate below:

I have successfully installed Knoppix 7.4.1 to an 8GB SDHC MicroDrive using a USB adapter several times now (effectively the same as a USB "thumb drive", "pen drive" or whatever one wants to call the device).

1) The Flash Card used was pre-formated (from the manufacturer) as FAT32. I used it the first time in its "out of the box" state with success and then while experimenting with installations, I manually removed the partition and reformatted using the freeware version of "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition v8.1.1". USB installs have been successful using the same drive several times now.

2) To Werner, I have been using the install from "Start Menu => Knoppix => Install KNOPPIX to flash disk" I choose "r Allow installation only on removable devices" and use the overlay File option and NOT the Partition option just as you wish to do. When prompted at the end of the USB install for the size of the file, I move the slider to size it at 1024MB. This seems to create the Image file found at "/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img". It is sized appropriately at 1GB and Persistence works fine. This is probably too big (1GB), but I don't know what a reasonable size for it is yet. It seems that in another thread you may have addressed this so maybe you have some advice or observations for me?

3) To "rudepeople". As mentioned, the drive has been used successfully "out of the box" with subsequent repartitioning and reformatting done using "MiniTool". This install uses approx 4.5 GB (including the 1GB Image file) leaving approximately 3.5 GB of the FAT32 partition unused. I have copied 3+ GB of .jpg files (along with other files) to the drive, moved them, deleted them, copied them to other folders (while staying within the 3.5 GB space available) in order to test that the drive has been written to beyond the "end" of the drive as seen by the drives internal "usage smoothing" algorithm. I have created folders, copied, deleted, etc. in Win7 Ultimate x64 as well as within Knoppix itself. I can move the USB drive to another computer, boot it to Knoppix, and use the files as I wish. Like you, I intend to use the drive to carry additional tools with me as well. It seems to work fine.

Caveats and Observations:
    1) In one install, I decided to use MiniTool to resize the remainder of the FAT32 partition and create another partition in the unused space created just to see what would happen. MiniTool let me shrink the FAT32 to within 1GB of the unused 3.5GB space which would allow me to create a second, separate partition of approximately 2.5GB. AT THAT POINT, before creating another partition in the now unused space, I remembered that Windows was only going to see the first partition of a USB drive anyhow, so I resized it back to the original full capacity. It ruined the ability of the drive to boot. Whatever it did, the drive was no longer able to boot Knoppix. I won't do that again.

I hope this helps and any and all advice or observations are welcome. Best of luck.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast