Thread: Adrian install

Adrian install

I have been having alot of trouble installing adrian

I got past the boot and go to settings and install to harddrive
    but the menus get stuck after I use whole disk and it goes to initialize swap it just sits there.

most of the menus to get to these spots do not speak with the espeak is that normal or just me.

I finnaly went into the x windows where orca does not work it reads odd stuff but more confusing then anything.

i ran the hd install and its installing from there I am worried it will not start up speaking

any tips i did not see any othere fourms for the adrian part.

in general the cd when it boots up is great I just want to have this on the harddrive so its faster.

I am not blind but my friend is and I am hoping the hd install is just buggy and a easy fix can be had.

I was able to install using the graphical kde way I have done this before so it was straight forward.

It loads up just like the cd. so thats good.

Where does one edit the menu file so I can add applications in for my friend. ?

elinks and espeak screen reader www browsing

web browsing works but it only reads the links how is it that I get it to read the text content.

I am not having alot of luck find out how I am to read web pages if I am blind.

(I am attempting to figure out) how to setup adrian for my blind friend)

Any blind folks on here with any tips i have been looking all day off and on and am not getting alot of search hits that explain what i am to do to get the web sites I want to read to be read. all it does is skip to the next link and read that link. skipping all the text.

Moderator Moderator
    What do you mean by "Adrian install"?

You can download using Torrents or from the mirrors the ADRIANE-KNOPPIX V7.2.0fCD....EN (or ... DE = german version). It's the special version of Knoppix for blind people. This is the current version. Perhaps in the near future K Knopper will offer a V7.4.1 of ADRIANE-KNOPPIX.

I mean I downloaded the Adrian cd v7.2 and installed it.

Everything is well supported on the refurbished hp DX5150 (40 gb with 1gb ram, 1.9gHz)
    When I go to install using auto or heck even the whole hard drive it would pause at
    initializing the swap!

I even tried to run cfdisk (i am familiar) and make a bigger swap and remaining hard drive reiser by setting as Linux and formating as mkreiserfs. all good just install just hangs. It allows me to use the partion and when I select it it does it thing then just hangs there. I canceled after 20 or so mins and booted into graphical.

that seemed to install it proper. It loads to the menu but I would of like to do it with my eyes closed. Alot of the install part the espeak barly spoke and in some points was confusing by just saying yes. what it ment to say would of been press yes or cancel . but that part does not speak.

this is not ready to be installed with out eyes unless you get lucky. I would like to try to fix but not sure where to start.

numpad

the key to solving this was using the numpad I learned this by speaking with folks in irc using server irc.netwirc.tk in a channel called #talkingarch

really friendly folks who are all blind and very helpful

ugh

well I tried with having every post i post need moderation I dunno how new folks get on here its like they are limited . unfortunately I feel i will try anouther route to get this going.

i am giving up on knoppix.

Moderator Moderator
    Sorry for the inconvenience by moderation of the first postings of new members. After devastation of the forum by spamers some years ago, this limitation for new users has been very effective now to prevent spam postings within the forum. Perhaps your next posting will already pass without moderation.

As a blind User who has been running Adriane as his primary OS since 7.0.5 without the luxury of a sighted person to help set things up, here are some tips I can give: In text-mode, caps lock + navigation keys are by far the most important keyboard shortcuts. Up and down arrow will read on-screen text line-by-line, left and right arrows for character-by-character, and PageUp/Down to read from top of screen to cursor position or from cursor position to end of screen. Last I checked, these were listed in the Adriane Help(item 0 on the main Adriane menu), but I haven't needed to access that screen in nearly two years. As 0WN(the text-mode installer used to put Adriane onto a harddrive) has very little text that is accessible without these shortcuts, they are quite important if you don't have the process memorized. Orca(the graphical mode screen reader used by Adriane) is broken in 7.2. The only solution I've found to be reliable is to add Debian oldstable to your sources.list and downgrade Orca to version 2.4 atspi and python-pyatspi to version 1.3 and Adrian-x to version 1.4. If you don't mind the extra bloat included on the DVD, rebuilding 7.4.2 to boot into Adriane mode by default is fairly simple, and has a version of Orca that works out of the box(but don't trying upgrading Orca as that has thus far lead to breakage everytime I've attempted it). To make the DVD boot into Adriane mode, you just need to change one line of text in a single file. If I remember correctly, the file is /isolinux/boot/isolinux.cfg and the line that needs changin is default auto to default adriane near the top of the file. I had to mount the iso, copy it's contents, chmod the file to make it writeable and rebuild the image with genisoimage, but if you know a method for editing isos directly, it should be even simpler. As for the web browser issue, Ifhave found Firefox(rebranded to Iceweasel in Adriane) with Orca infinitely more usable than Lynx with SBL, through I have noticed some screwy things with newer versions of Firefox and currently run Firefox 24 instead of something newer. Hope this helps.

Junior Member registered user

Use a USB drive is one answer. OR virtual OS

Possible easier to make a USB drive with Knoppix 7.4.2 with persistent overlay, I believe you can adjust set up to start up in Adriane. I have put Knoppix on Virtual drive (Virtual box in Windows 7) and by saving snap shots as I adjust it , the system now starts in Adriane , and gives me a full web browser with speach, but speach is too fast for me. However it can scan line by line by selection. I have not yet mastered the Key Pad controls (I am still trying). I am trying using Adriane to help a disabled person re-learn how to use a computer.
    Last edited by eionmac; 12-27-2014 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling