Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Survey of CD "minimal" version by K. Knopper

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me. I've had at least four such installations corrupted beyond repair.

The Puppy Linux USB flash installation, OTOH, which allows the user to utilize the usb flash media simply to boot with the linux loader, and then choose a configuration file and applications on any other medium, has been used by me thousands of times in several computers (as opposed to a few dozen boots with the fragile Knoppix usb flash installation), and I've only had on Puppy install go bad. I'd still be using puppy for 90 % of my online activity (as I have for several years) if it weren't for having to confine myself to a AMI UEFI crippled Asus laptop, for which I haven't yet found a way to boot puppy. Unfortunately, Knoppix doesn't do so well with it either. I can't boot from the Live-DVD (the BIOS simply doesn't recognize it as a bootable device), so I have to sneaker-net over to a non-UEFI Windows 7 PC in order to make a usb-flash install that will barely work (the AMI BIOS will not retain the boot priority settings, returning Windows to the top position automatically). Booting Knoppix has become a five minute exercise, and so I barely use Linux anymore, and instead work with the worst OS I've experienced since OS/2 Warp, Windows 8.x.
    There are several ideas worthy of independent threads here.
    Unfortunately, they don't belong in Werner's survey thread.
    I suggest you create one or more threads under General Support and get some responses that way.
    And, it always helps to keep each thread focused on pretty much a single idea, not several unrelated ideas.
    For example, there are several ways to insure against losing your persistence info; ask about that in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    Again a unreliable posting as your others in the past and it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
    In what way is my post (and any previous post of mine) "unreliable"? Your response amounts to nothing more than an ad hominem attack, since it says essentially only that this poster's statements are unreliable, without offering the slightest supporting evidence or even argument.

Please enlighten us in what way other posters' statements here are more "reliable" than mine?

As to your pretense that "it has nothing to do with this thread", why did you not address this same critique to the poster to whom I replied? Just on this page alone, I see several other posters "off thread", and I see no one else being admonished.

You are clearly not objective in carrying out your "moderation", and unfortunately, this is clearly reflected in the quality of the discussions.

Moderator Moderator
    In the past you've posted so many terrible experiences with Knoppix, which has been frustrating and time wasting for you. It is hard for me to believe, that a user under these circumstances again and again try Knoppix instead to remain with his reliable Puppy Linux.

Posting #18 has been in response to your posting #16 and none of the other postings are out of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Werner P. Schulz View Post
    In the past you've posted so many terrible experiences with Knoppix, which has been frustrating and time wasting for you. It is hard for me to believe, that a user under these circumstances again and again try Knoppix instead to remain with his reliable Puppy Linux....
    So this is your definition of "unreliable"? - anything that you find hard to believe? So, what exactly is your explanation for my 'unbelievable' postings?

For anyone reading this who might be interested in an antidote to Werner's vague paranoid suspicions, I have been repeatedly downloading and trying to work with dozens of Linux distros since approximately 1995. I can't remember all that I've tried, but the list includes Slackware, Red Hat, Caldera, Mandriva, Suse, PCLinuxOS, Antix, Mint, and CentOS. After a couple of disastrous consequences for my Windows system following on hard drive installs of Linux, I came across Knoppix, and have since limited my linux efforts to those distros capable of booting and running from external media.

I have tried various flavours of Puppy Linux, and used the Lupu/Lucid variant for several years. However, it had a fatal limitation - no ready access to updates or new apps from any major online repositories. Often one had to find a coder from the Puppy community to create a PET package for the purpose of installing a debian app. And for this reason, among others, I continued every year to try the latest version of Knoppix. Among the other reasons for my persistence is that I feel a loyalty to Klaus and Knoppix for his pioneering effort in making Linux easily accessible to ordinary PC users and because I hope he will eventually return to that ideal.

Some time ago, development of Lupu/Lucid Puppy ground to a halt, and the whole Puppy community is fragmented so badly that there's little hope of continuity of any given variant. But, I continued to use it until five months ago, when I found myself limited to the use of a single PC with a UEFI BIOS, which will not boot Lupu/Lucid.

And as I no longer have the time to experiment with a host of Linux distros, Knoppix has been the only Linux variant I've used (or tried to use...) since then.

Beyond 140 characters, rant becomes boring.

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    i really hope that you are joking philo.
    if not, that's a very sad reflection of our times.

I just meant to say that if someone wants to air his/her frustration with Knoppix it is better to keep his/her posts short for us readers to pay attention.

I just meant to say that if someone wants to air his/her frustration with Knoppix it is better to keep his/her posts short for us readers to pay attention.
    The problem is, in my experience, whenever users ask for help using short posts, it usually leads to lots of helpers asking masses of questions with lots of other helpers jumping in having guessed at what they think is required.

p.s
    The posting rules for most forums usually say something about including as many details as possible.
    In 140 chars?

Believe it or not, I'm not posting here to amuse the readers, nor to offend them (and certainly not to size my posts to fit philo's cell phone).

Posts lacking in detail are generally faulted for that, viewed with suspicion, and will gather disparaging replies, usually much less interesting to anyone and, only with luck, some posts asking for the missing details.

I post here on the assumption that there may be readers who are familiar with my problem and/or have a superior understanding of Knoppix/linux/PCs and may be prepared to offer me helpful suggestions.

I also persist in posting, albeit with much reduced enthusiasm and frequency, despite seldom receiving any helpful responses, because I am sure there are silent readers out there who will benefit from my reports. And I don't blame them for being unwilling to expose themselves to the kind of character assassination I've endured here.

However, when someone attacks my integrity, as Werner has [snip] done without basis, I'll certainly defend myself. If the resulting rant is boring, those who are bothered have only themselves to blame for silently tolerating this [snip] by the moderator.

If I may continue my rant just a bit further - no matter how brilliant Klaus Knopper's work is, it will ultimately survive only if he learns in good time to share the work with others, provide for a succession in its maintenance and development, and learn from the users.

[snip]
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 02-09-2015 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Violating of Forum rules

Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    [snip]
    and now you've had a vasectomy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast