Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Survey of CD "minimal" version by K. Knopper

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by ICPUG View Post
    I'm not sure what is so difficult about maintaining both options. The basic CD stuff goes in the KNOPPIX file. The additional stuff on the DVD could go in the KNOPPIX1 file on said DVD. Everybody happy with no extra development tasks.
    Everybody but Klaus K.
    He makes a point that making a CD version is extra work for him, and he wants to know if it's all that useful to anyone.
    Some of us think it is, but it's surely a minor issue, given the DVD.
    And you're right, I'll make my little KNOPPIX1 anyway, 'cause I hate recovering from a wiped-out read/write persistence file.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Everybody but Klaus K.
    I rather think that the great silent majority is on his side.

Administrator Site Admin-
    I prefer to think that Klaus just asked a sincere question. He is making DVD versions now and simply asked if anyone still wants CD versions. It is extra work to release both versions. If no one really wanted the CD version then there would be little point in making it.

But while it is extra work, it might not be much extra work, particularly if he just makes a minimal CD version with a few key things (like app-get) and then moves on to make an application rich DVD version. I'm hoping his next question will be: "rather than loading the CD version to 700 megs, what applications do users really want on the CD version for system recovery, remastering, or other uses that you see for a CD size release?"
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    I rather think that the great silent majority is on his side.
    Here in England, and probably elsewhere to, we have a number political parties who would just love to be credited with the votes of the "silent majority". Unfortunately, for them, we only count those who are willing to take the time and effort to actually vote. I am certainly not an expert but I believe that's how democracy usually works philo.

p.s.
    I would be happier, although i would still prefer a cd version, if i could at least find a link to this mysterious sort of basic version of releases that some posts have referred to, i.e. one that users can master themselves ... ideally for the latest, EACH latest, release.
    I would really appreciate any help with this ... thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Marv; 12-26-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: speeling & rubbish format

@ Marv (Post #24)

We only express views in this thread. This is a survey, not an election. We do not vote, Marv.
    Last edited by philo; 12-27-2014 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    @ Marv (Post #24)

We only express views in this thread. This is a survey, not an election. We do not vote, Marv.
    I totally agree philo. We express our own views, not what we would prefer others to think.

Also, although we may not be voting, a survey, like an election, also works on numbers,
    i.e. the numbers of the one's who have views on a subject and would like to express those views so they may be taken into concideration.
    Last edited by Marv; 12-27-2014 at 07:43 PM.

Senior Member registered user
    There are still personal computers with older CPUs which have USB 1.1 suport and CD-ROM drives only. For those systems, it does not make much sense to use the bootonly CD with a USB stick. Since it is always stated that Knoppix will run on old personal computers I would expect a Knoppix CD in addition to the big DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    That's a clever idea. I imagine that it may be because:

1. USBs have gotten so much cheaper, r/w so much faster, and may have so much more capacity than a CD; and
    2. perhaps CDRs may not have as good a reputation for (re)wriiting additional material to the same device.

Of course, that may not help much if your rig doesn't do USBs.
    The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me. I've had at least four such installations corrupted beyond repair.

The Puppy Linux USB flash installation, OTOH, which allows the user to utilize the usb flash media simply to boot with the linux loader, and then choose a configuration file and applications on any other medium, has been used by me thousands of times in several computers (as opposed to a few dozen boots with the fragile Knoppix usb flash installation), and I've only had on Puppy install go bad. I'd still be using puppy for 90 % of my online activity (as I have for several years) if it weren't for having to confine myself to a AMI UEFI crippled Asus laptop, for which I haven't yet found a way to boot puppy. Unfortunately, Knoppix doesn't do so well with it either. I can't boot from the Live-DVD (the BIOS simply doesn't recognize it as a bootable device), so I have to sneaker-net over to a non-UEFI Windows 7 PC in order to make a usb-flash install that will barely work (the AMI BIOS will not retain the boot priority settings, returning Windows to the top position automatically). Booting Knoppix has become a five minute exercise, and so I barely use Linux anymore, and instead work with the worst OS I've experienced since OS/2 Warp, Windows 8.x.

Moderator Moderator
    The requirement of Knoppix usb-flash to remain writable and mounted for the entire session has proven to be a repeat disaster for me....
    Again a unreliable posting as your others in the past and it has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast