Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BASH bug

Moderator Moderator
    Hello!

You don't pestering the moderator. Above all I'm a member in the forum and almost all of my postings are postings as a member and not as a moderator. My activity as moderator is a secret job - ban spammer forever, write a warning pm to suspicious new users. Rarely in the past I had to intervene within a thread as moderator.

Should I not worry about using cups, rsync, ssh and/or dhclient if
    these should 'serve' some purpose I don't presently need?
    If you use for example ssh, your computer is the server who offers the ssh-service. You as the client of the ssh-service may write a malicious bash-script and may attack your own server. Now, if you are sucessful, your own server may no longer be secure. But why should you do this?

Senior Member registered user
    Thank you for your patience, Werner.

I appreciate all you do for this forum, and for the
    numerous times you have helped me solve a Linux problem.

742 Result of bash bug test

Heres what I get with Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveDVD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Heres what I get with Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveDVD
    You have 7.4.2?

Greetings, philo.

I d/l-ed my iso earlier today.

The DVD iso is (at least) at both the first two ftp choices at:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html
    No CD version yet.

MY new iso made a good LiveDVD and LiveUSB.
    With the LiveUSB, I had better luck NOT using either option to save personal stuff.
    I just used my own notes & files for that this time.
    Last edited by utu; 09-30-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    The DVD iso is (at least) at both the first two ftp choices at......
    Importantly, it is also on the Knoppix Bit Torrent Tracker at http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/
    I'm unclear why people are still using the FTP and/or HTML downloads, I haven't used them for Knoppix since the torrents became available. I've found the torrents faster and completely error free, while I had a lot of problems with errors on the FTP sites. If one has never used a torrent before it might take five minutes to download a client and start using it, but that will pay off before the first download is even finished.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

No argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman View Post
    If one has never used a torrent before it might take five minutes to download a client and start using it, but that will pay off before the first download is even finished.
    Greetings, Harry.
    But FWIW, the first site dls ftp at 5 min per Gb for me. Testdvds were ok first time through.

Moderator Moderator
    I'm unclear why people are still using the FTP and/or HTML downloads, I haven't used them for Knoppix since the torrents became available. I've found the torrents faster ..
    Hello Harry!

Possibly it may be so for one or another. For me I have no advantage using the Torrents. I have a very slow DSL download rate of nearby 250kB/sec offered by my provider and this I've got last night for my download from a mirror (for me in Germany). In the last years I never had a md5sum error using the mirrors.

I also tried Bittorrent this night and got a rate nearby 80kB/sec downloading from 3 of 6 peers.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Hi Werner and utu,

As to not having a md5 error in recent years, neither have I, but clearly for different reasons. I was seeing about 50% bad downloads. I tracked this to FTP sometimes thinking that it should do a NL -> CR/LF translation on the files. Of course, I was using Windows and I expect that you use Linux to download so would never see this. But I also expect that most novices to Knoppix are also downloading the ISO in Windows. Never have had this problem with any other binary FTP download in Windows, but must have had over two dozen bad downloads in my first few years on Knoppix FTP servers before the torrents were offered.

I'm not sure why your torrent speed was so slow. Of course, I'm downloading the EN version rather than the DE version and there are a lot more seeders. There also could be an issue with some clients artificially slowing down if you don't have a router set up to properly forward ports, but recent clients seem to be getting past this nicely. I haven't forwarded any ports for the bittorrent protocol in my current router and I'm still seeing great speeds (as contrasted to the mirrors) and I'm seeing that I have plenty of piers that I'm both getting data from and sharing data with.

Perhaps the lower demand for the DE version could mean that any one mirror can keep up with it's demands, but I sure didn't see that on the EN mirrors.

For these reasons, I think the torrents are still a much better recommendation for the average user.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12