Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what's the preferred Wireless NIC for Knoppix - SMC a no-no

Cisco 350

Junior Member registered user

Linksys

Linksys WMP11 works fine, its a pci linksys card for desktop, knoppix autodetects and dhcp's

-Kaplan

Linksys WPC54G Cards are not recognized when booting or by the config.
    I was hoping it would

Microsoft MN520

I have the Microsoft MN520 wireless card, and I'm just curious if anyone here has had any problems in general with getting knoppix to boot with their wireless card. I'm not really sure what to try, I've looked though the boot codes, but didn't find anything espcially usefull.

anyway any hints, even if its a "you might want to try this I'm not sure it'll work", idea that'd be great!

Nick

Senior Member registered user

Re: Microsoft MN520

Quote Originally Posted by nlang
    I have the Microsoft MN520 wireless card, and I'm just curious if anyone here has had any problems in general with getting knoppix to boot with their wireless card. I'm not really sure what to try, I've looked though the boot codes, but didn't find anything espcially usefull.

anyway any hints, even if its a "you might want to try this I'm not sure it'll work", idea that'd be great!

Nick
    Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected, but have you tried running wlcardconfig? Run that from a shell. Often I have to remove and reinsert my card (pcmcia) before running wlcardconfig. Hope that helps.

Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected
    Well I'll tell you what I get durring the boot up.
    (this is for pcmica slot)

cardmgr[58]: starting version 3.2.2
    cardmgr[58]: socket 0: Microsoft Notebook Adapter MN-520
    cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modprobe prisim2-cs'

and then it freezes

so I don't even get a chance to try any config commands

Nick

Ok, I found this cool project online they are dedicated to wireless cards in Linux.

But I'm having trouble understanding the README and how to install. I'm guessing I need to configure my kernal...and I've never done any kernal configurations.

so if someone could read it and translate it into newbie terms that'd be great!!

ftp://ftp.linux-wlan.org/pub/linux-wlan-ng/README

thanks
    Nick

Cisco Aironet accessing WEP enabled Wifi networks

I'm somewhat new to Knoppix 802.11b networking, however I do have extensive Windows wireless experience. I purchased the Cisco Aironet 350 on Ebay for $60 brand new still in a sealed box. After receiving the wireless card I was still unable to detect my wireless router. Turns out I had to downgrade the firmware on the actual card. Lucky for me, Cisco makes this task very easy. Assuming your laptop has Windows on it, you'll have to download the Radio Firmware ver 4.25.30 and upload the older firmware to your card via the Cisco ACU utility that comes with your card. It's super easy and shortly after a reboot to Knoppix my wireless card was functioning. I still have problems getting on WEP enabled networks. Knoppix doesn't have the bubble that displays all available networks like Windows XP does. So far, the only network I've been able to get on is someone's in my neighborhood since my home wifi router is 128bit WEP enabled. Is there a utility in Knoppix that will display broadcasted SSIDs? Also, even though I can access non-secured wifi networks, I still cannot get airsnort to work. Can anyone fill me in on how to configure Airsnort with the Cisco Aironet 350? Anyinput or questions for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Senior Member registered user
    Quote Originally Posted by nlang
    Well I have no idea if your card is supported or was detected
    Well I'll tell you what I get durring the boot up.
    (this is for pcmica slot)

cardmgr[58]: starting version 3.2.2
    cardmgr[58]: socket 0: Microsoft Notebook Adapter MN-520
    cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modprobe prisim2-cs'

and then it freezes

so I don't even get a chance to try any config commands

Nick
    Nick, I hope you figured it out, because I bought the same card. My computer boots around it, but when the modprobe looks for prism2_cs, I get a FATAL message, saying that module prism2_cs is not found, and exits with a status 1. Then it says something about module /lib/modules/2.6.6/pcmcia/prism2_cs.o not available, and bind prism2_cs to socket 1 failed : invalid argument.

[EDIT] I found one reason. see
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=51055#51055 [/edit]

I tried d/l-ing the most recent linux-wlan-ng tarball, and did my best to follow this advice w/r/t installation and configuration:

http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin...mp11-linux.htm

Not specific to debian or knoppix, but it did say that the configuration was successful.

Oh, I'm trying to set up the Microsoft MN-520 PCMCIA adapter on a Sony VAIO PCG-FXA47 notebook, running Knoppix 2004-05-17 3.4, 2.6 kernel, live CD with persistent home and saved config both on a USB thumbdrive.

In another thread, paradocs advised nick to put a script in the /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart directory, but I couldn't find such a beast.

I'm new to wlan - I don't even have a base station, but I wanted to have wlan access on vacation at various hotspots.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I guess I'm at least lucky that things aren't locking. TIA,

JD

SMC wireless in knoppix

Hi! i'm a TOTAL newbie when it comes 2 linux, but i have taken interrest in it and want to learn! but i get no internett connection... what i'm trying to say is that knoppix std does not find my wireless network card its just called: "SMC Wireless PCI Card Turbo 802.11g 108Mbps" i really dont want to spend money on a new one... and just wondered if there is any way I can make it work on knoppix..? or any other linux based OS? PLease help me!

PS: Im not a total newbie in computers generally... just linux.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast