Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a directory in Linux partition be used instead of a persistent image?

Senior Member registered user

Can a directory in Linux partition be used instead of a persistent image?

Many of the Linux distributions use persistent images each, such as pendrivelinux or Knoppix.
    Pendrive linux goes a step further to create and extend an EFS on the fly!
    Is it possible to use a separate directory instead of the persistent image, to achieve the same goals?
    My HDDs are ext4, but persistent images are ext2, meaning data during accidental power cut can't be recovered.
    How can I use a directory + partition for persistence across multiple boots?
    Last edited by rajibando; 03-23-2015 at 06:12 PM.

Thank you! On hindsight I am just cursing myself for the typos while writing Directory. I know it can't be edited unless the moderator wants it. But people searching for a viable solution will miss it. I searched and missed the topic you directed me to, particularly, deviouswun's post.

I use knoppix only as Live Linux Usb. I do not like install it on my hdd because I prefer other LTS distro. But you can manually create a new ext4 persistent overlay as file (knoppix-data.img) or as a separated partition on your hdd.

Yes, I saw two options in your recommended post. One of them is overlay. What is this 'Overlay"? Though I understood it intuitively, what is the official definition of Overlay?
    And where is the info page for manual persistent images?
    Thanks for replying.

Overlay is another definition of the persistent image in knoppix: knoppix-data.img or if encrypted is knoppix-data.aes
    This file contains all the installed application, configuration settings, your personal data, that you want add to the system and can not be stored in r/o Live Linux.
    After boot process this file is integrated in the system with UnionFS.
    I don't know if there is an updated manual, but I remember it exist.
    In any case you can create the image with dd command.
    ASAP I will post the code if you do not find.
    Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksimon View Post
    Overlay is another definition of the persistent image in knoppix: knoppix-data.img or if encrypted is knoppix-data.aes
    This file contains all the installed application, configuration settings, your personal data, that you want add to the system and can not be stored in r/o Live Linux.
    After boot process this file is integrated in the system with UnionFS.
    Oh, I see! I am aware of knoppix-data.img and unionfs. I sometime switch to Pippy Linux to mount the Knoppix .img file, copy the downloaded files and clear and clear up the space of the ... .img file.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksimon View Post
    I don't know if there is an updated manual, but I remember it exist.
    In any case you can create the image with dd command.
    ASAP I will post the code if you do not find.
    Regards
    No, you needn't exert.
    BTW, please be sure to check this post. I didn't know about this option, which uses the persistent image in a different way.
    Then,
    ... With Flash disk Install and the option overlay partition you'll get persistent memory (encrypted or not) in a separate partition and without the limitation of maximum size of 4 GB. At the next boot, Knoppix will scan for the file '/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf', which contains the line

There is a very interesting link : http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-recombine.html
    One of these days I am going to try this option. It sounds very interesting for me to try out, especially, with the freedom it entails.

I have never tried with the flash drive install. I was satisfied with the 7.2.0 . Now, considering the greater possibilities with the option I am surely going to try with a pen drive once I have cleared up one of the largest ones I possess.

Thank you for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Oh, I see! I am aware of knoppix-data.img and unionfs. I sometime switch to Pippy Linux to mount the Knoppix .img file, copy the downloaded files and clear and clear up the space of the ... .img file.

No, you needn't exert.
    BTW, please be sure to check this post. I didn't know about this option, which uses the persistent image in a different way.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    There is a very interesting link : http://www.wp-schulz.de/summary/summary-recombine.html
    One of these days I am going to try this option. It sounds very interesting for me to try out, especially, with the freedom it entails.

I have never tried with the flash drive install. I was satisfied with the 7.2.0 . Now, considering the greater possibilities with the option I am surely going to try with a pen drive once I have cleared up one of the largest ones I possess.

Thank you for your feedback.
    About /mnt-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.inf'
    1 Start knoppix with cheatcode noimage to ignore knoppix-data.img
    Using Gparted create a second partition of the size you want in Usb/Hdd where you have installed knoppix, and format ext4

3 write inside knoppix-data.inf the line: 2 KNOPPIX-DATA ext4 [2 indicates the second partition, KNOPPIX-DATA is the label name of knoppix-data.img when mounted in the live system(do not change it), ext4 is the type of file system]
    4 delete old knoppix-data.img or rename if you prefer
    5 restart Knoppix
    Now the second partition becomes your persistent image

Bye

Yes, I am enthusiastic about re-combining the image, changes and old Knoppix with a new Knoppix, using the instructions written by Werner P. Schulz in the link I posted above. Then I would be in a position to use the image for a year or so.
    Thanks and 'bye!

I bought a new flash-drive/pendrive for this specific purpose.
    Read the required posts, particularly, Flash to USB installer (experimental) in 7.0.5
    copied flash-knoppix2 to /usr/bin, saved as flash-knoppix2 in /usr/bin, marked as executable, ran the script flash-knoppix2. The same message appears as before:
    sdb: SanDisk Cruzer Blade (14907MB)
    /dev/sdb:
    Overlay size is too small!
    (minimum 400MB required)
    Screenshot from 2015-04-23 10:16:02.png
    Can't the flash drive installation be simplified to include ext4 partitioning, option 'p', i.e., separate overlay?
    Last edited by rajibando; 04-23-2015 at 05:59 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast