Thread: How to use Tor network with Knoppix 7.4

How to use Tor network with Knoppix 7.4

Hi:
    New to Knoppix. I was able to connect to the Tor network with the Vidallia tool that came with my distribution but do not understand how to connect a browser to the Tor network once that is done. Can some one clarify this for me or point me to intructions? Is downloading and installing the Tor Browser bundle necessary?
    Thanks,
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by sbfree View Post
    Hi:
    New to Knoppix. I was able to connect to the Tor network with the Vidallia tool that came with my distribution but do not understand how to connect a browser to the Tor network once that is done. Can some one clarify this for me or point me to intructions? Is downloading and installing the Tor Browser bundle necessary?
    Thanks,
    scott
    I only download the Tor browser from the web, unzip the tar.gz, configure the bridge (for example google-meek) and nothing more. It's easy.

Thank you. I'm new to Knoppix but not to Linux. I am exploring all the menu items and not sure what the Vidalia software that is part of the distro would do without using a browser.

Administrator Site Admin-
    Quote Originally Posted by sbfree View Post
    ...I was able to connect to the Tor network with the Vidallia tool that came with my distribution but do not understand how to connect a browser to the Tor network once that is done. ...
    Are you sure that anything else is even needed? Try pointing your browser at a site that ID's your IP address (such as ipchicken.com) before setting up Vidallia, then install Vidalla and then check the IP site in the browser again. i would expect that you would now see a different IP address, indicating that you were going through TOR. Of course, this is just theory, the proof is left to the reader.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Hi Harry:
    My posts don't show up right away because I'm a new member but I did try exactly what you suggested and it didn't seem to change my IP.
    s

To use Tor you need to configure manual proxy configuration, normally SOCKS Host: 127.0.0.1 and SOCKS Port: 9150, check Vidalia server and port.

Download the last release of Tor Browser Bundle 4.0.8 !!! This package requires no installation, just extract it and run.
    Vidalia ??? It's deprecated !!! Be smart and learn more before using Tor
    in order to not defeat the efforts to maintain your privacy.
    Stay tuned! https://blog.torproject.org/blog