Thread: I want to use this but..

I want to use this but..

My situation is this.. I have a 64 bit sont vaio whose hard drive is dying, and I teach for a living and I need virtualbox for my lessons. I found knoppix and installed it to a usb and booted it and i love it. However when i tried to use the virtualbox that was installed I got errors of wrong version. So then I tried to install via gdeb the 64 bit virtualbox .deb file for debian wheezy from their site but then it told me my architecture was not amd64. So I did arch and found it shows as x86_64. Then i did uname -a and found it showed the kernel as 3.16.3_64 (by the way im using 7.4.2 dvd version and I started the boot by typing knoppix64) so I could see that I was 64 bit. Then I looked at system monitor and saw it recognized my full 8gb of ram and not just 4gb, so this told me it was correct. Now when I do a uname -p it says unkown so Im not sure if my intel board is not showing up as the words amd64 or what the deal is. Bottom line is I would love to use knoppix on my usb, but I have to have 64 bit virtualbox installed to run some 64 bit vms I have on a separate hard drive. Can anyone help me?

Senior Member registered user
    Greetings and welcome to the forum.

Knoppix 7.4.2 will recognize a 64-bit computer and install a 64-bit kernel at boot.
    This will help recognize more than 3+ Gb ram and will work with 64-bit uefi but
    that's about it. This Knoppix, and earlier ones as well, only provide 32-bit libraries
    to support apps.

You may research this forum and find how some of the advanced members have worked
    around this to some success.
    Last edited by utu; 04-09-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    You may research this forum and find how some of the advanced members have worked around this to some success.
    For example, use 'libraries' in the Advanced Search box in the upper right corner of the forum screen to search.
    Some threads along this line were dealt with by Capricorny, kl522 and ruymbeke.

issue is though that its all over the board with how knoppix sees my architecture. arch command shows x86_64, but dkms architecture command shows 32 bit. As it stands even if i wanted to use virtualbox 32 bit that wont even install because of mismatch with kernel versions, and synaptic wont even allow me to mark for install because it says its not around anymore

'No 64-bit library support' means just that

1. VirtualBox is installed by default in Knoppix7.4.2
    2. This VirtualBox and Knoppix7.4.2 itself are basically 32-bit except as I noted earlier.
    3. No 64 bit apps, including those emulated in Virtual box are supported by the necessary libraries in Knoppix 7.4.2
    4. There is virtually no 64-bit library support in Knoppix 7.4.2

If you insist on needing 64-bit support for your apps, you currently need another distribution or
    as I suggested elsewhere, try some of the work-arounds tha Capricorny and others have discussed here.

All my previous comments apply only to an unmodified Knoppix 7.4.2 LiveUSB install, please be advised.
    If you have tried to 'upgrade' Knoppix 7.4.2 with Synaptic or apt-get, it is quite likely you will arrive at
    a broken and unusable Knoppix system. This is also likely if you try to bring in programs from other repos
    without regard to version compatiblities.

ok thanks, im also trying out kali linux persistence, seems to be working good.

Quote Originally Posted by dabluezpreacher View Post
    trying out kali linux
    Kali Linux indeed looks interesting. This may very well provide an effective
    avenue towards achieving the attributes of a 64-bit Knoppix-like Live System.

Some of the attributes of Kali Linux that may be of interest are:

Single (root) user LiveUSB with optional persistence.
    Has its own mirror for ready-built LiveUSB isos.
    User must follow Debian-Live procedure to provide separate ext partition for persistence (similar to Knoppix's Rieserfs partition)
    Kernel is 3.18.3 (vs 3.18.6 for upcoming Knoppix 7.5)
    Altenatively, taps into Debian-Live online build infrastructure for either 32- or 64-bit custom Debian-Stable-LiveUSB isos.
    Has a currently very active user forum with a wide range of threads from beginner-level to advanced pen-testing topics in evidence.
    Extensive and lucid on-line documentation.
    620 Distrowatch hits/day twice that of Knoppix.

Start here for more information: http://docs.kali.org/introduction/what-is-kali-linux

Yeah i just created a persistent usb for kali and its super fast and it installs virtualbox. Thanks for your help