Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What codes can be passed on to Knoppix during boot time by knoppix-data.inf?

Senior Member registered user

What codes can be passed on to Knoppix during boot time by knoppix-data.inf?

Could I be directed to a post(s) which discusses the codes that could be passed on to knoppix during boot time via knoppix-data.inf?
    Thanks.

Look for knoppix-cheatcodes.txt on any Knoppix CD or DVD.

Or, if using a Knoppix Live System, at

/home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt or
    /mount-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt

I am indeed surprised!

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    /home/knoppix/Desktop/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt or
    /mount-system/KNOPPIX/knoppix-cheatcodes.txt
    Dear Utu,

I am surprised! Does this mean that the entire cheat-code can be written "AS ARE" within the file knoppix-data.inf ?
    When I had Debian system with Grub I used to pass the cheat-codes in grub.cfg to Knoppix in order to boot from that image.

Please direct me to the documentation section where the knoppix-data.inf is discussed, particularly passing the cheat-codes to knoppix during boot time.

I am surprised because I had tried knoppix nodrm nofb 2 in knoppix-data.inf . But the codes were ignored.

Moderator Moderator
    I suppose there has been a misunderstanding about your question. Within 'knoppix-data.inf' there is of course only the information about the overlay partition (not overlay file). How to build this file you can see in '/usr/bin/flash-knoppix(2)'.

How Knoppix interprets this file during boot, you can see within the "init"-file of the minirt.gz in the function mountdata() and there starting at the line "inf) # Contain partition information ...".

For simplicity reason Knoppix only supports "overlay partition" on the 2nd partition with partitionname KNOPPIX-DATA and ReiserFS. If you want to change this behaviour, you have to do many hacks by yourself in this two scriptfiles.

@ Rajib

If one is using Knoppix as a LiveUSB, one may add or change cheatcodes at boot
    by modifying APPEND statements in /mnt-system/syslinux.cfg.

If this is done before any persistent changes are recorded, I would expect that
    to serve to apply to any cheatcodes you want.

Yes, Utu, so I found! I have been exploring the boot folder in mnt-system/boot/syslinux and tested and found the entered code to be working, across multiple booting. My first line looks as follows:
    Code:
     DEFAULT knoppix
    APPEND lang=en apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce nofb nodrm tz=/Asia/Kolkata libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
    TIMEOUT 20
    So now I have a working Knoppix running from pen-drive with a persistent ext4 partition whose data and files I can change from other computers.
    Thank you, Utu. You always provide straight-forward reply.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Last edited by rajibando; 04-25-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    So now I have a working Knoppix running from pen-drive with a persistent ext4 partition whose data and files I can change from other computers.
    You are quite welcome, Rajib.
    Do you have some reason to prefer ext4 to rieserfs?

The reason for using ext4

Quote Originally Posted by utu View Post
    Do you have some reason to prefer ext4 to rieserfs?
    Yes, defragmentation of the RFS and corruption following multiple shutdowns. I have discussed this earlier: My HCL laptop is faulty, thanks to our cybercoolies. Its heat-dissipation system is faulty, leading it to high temperatures when the CPU cycles are 100% utilised.

And I also wish to use this last post from my end to thank Mr. Schulz, a very nice person, who tried to help me complete this project, stayed with me and provided inputs.

My idea needs further explanation for those who search for answers

Dear Utu, I felt I needed to explain myself better.

Both ext4 and the reiser are Journaling Filesystems. To understand the intricacies which warrants implementation of Journals, one has to understand the read-write operations and a power failure during the system's writing data on a storage device, e.g., HDD.

Journaling is a separate area to store To-Be-Written data before writing. If power is cut off during writing from the journal to the permanent data area, we have the journal to recover our work. ext4 is the latest one, having the scope for a huge journal.

Linux doesn't implement Raiser with its full capabilities. Moreover, Knoppix-data.img is really Reiser upon another FS, i.e., journal upon journal, i.e., four (2^2) times the amount of read-write operations than when using a single FS.

My damaged laptop is the result of design by damaged minds. This was the reason for my implementing ext4 directly. I hope I have explained myself as clearly as I am capable of.
    Last edited by rajibando; 04-26-2015 at 08:34 AM.

Moderator Moderator
    Knoppix-data.img is really Reiser upon another FS, i.e., journal upon journal,..
    knoppix-data.img and knoppix-data.aes are special files within the Flash disk install of Knoppix (FAT32). These files are the overlay files and are ext2 formatted (encrypted or not).

The overlay partition in a standard Flash disk install of Knoppix is the whole 2nd partition and is ReiserFS formatted. You can also check and fix ReiserFS with the tool "reiserfsck". Therefore I cannot see the need to use ext4 instead of ReiserFS.
    I have been exploring the boot folder in mnt-system/boot/syslinux and tested and found the entered code to be working, across multiple booting.
    It's the Micro-Remastering as KK told us.
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 04-26-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast