Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V7.4.2 Sticking cheatcodes

Senior Member registered user
    Hi!

I remembered that I had forgotten to tell you when you try the pendrive GRUB boot physically disconnect the HDD, not just switching it off from BIOS Boot sequence only. Otherwise, Grub may make things complicated if you pay it lesser attention than it deserves. Before that rename the KNOPPIX, knoppix and boot files and folders of the Knoppix partition on your HDD. Shortly will tell you why.

Once your pendrive is ready to boot from knoppix re-attach the HDD, but if you don't rename KNOPPIX and other folders in your HDD, Knoppix will scan and find those files and boot from there, irrespective of whether you have changed the BIOS boot sequence.

When you have experimented enough you could change to your existing HDD knoppix partition as persistent.

Irrespective of what I have written please feel free to follow your instinct. It is not ethical for me to look at your laptop and change things. Things aren't that complicated.

And never forget to thank the moderator, our Guardian Angel, who constantly looks around, correcting things when we mess up. He formatted your page to make it look pleasing. He does never overdo things. See that he did not correct your spellings and sentence constructions. A gem of a man!
    Last edited by rajibando; 05-25-2015 at 06:49 PM.

@ knp

If teaching the boot loader to remember the cheat codes is the stuff you are looking for, the following two links from the knoppix's wiki may help.

For syslinux and its derivatives, http://knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes#Micro-Remastering
    For grub legacy and grub2, http://knoppix.net/wiki/Category:Har...an.27s_install

In case the existing boot loader of the USB hard drive is grub4dos, I think its syntax is fairly similar to that of grub legacy.

Hi

This "reply" only to precise that somebody has replaced my user name "knp" by "superman".

This could be unpleasant because I see nothing justifing the situation.

I found (and find again) this forum very good in courtesy and help.

Yes there exist some people who do not like some web browsers nor some other "OS's".

Personnally I got bad experiences with "grub" not because of his quality (that I cannot evaluate!) but because of my lack of knowledge in Linux.

The Installation which I talk about needed not much knowldge:automatic one by Knoppix_5.

If this estonish somebody I can do nothing against. I continue to trying to learn Linux which is difficult when coming from the Win Sphere.

rajibando, utu, shultz and others gave me a good help and that only counts really for me.

Regards

knp ...not Superman!
    Last edited by knp; 05-26-2015 at 01:12 PM.

Senior Member registered user
    Dear Knp, this post just went over the top of my radar! Was it humour, satire, ...? You have a queer way of writing!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I don't know about the French, but the Germans certainly write beautiful English, like our moderator, admin, utu, et al.
    French, German, etc., are more complex than English, with more rules on genders and formality.
    However, you are fortunate not to have known Sanskrit, Hindi or Chinese or Japanese.
    Sanskrit has a separate rule for twosome (between one and many)! Not only that, it has four set of rules for verb forms (for four noun-types, Mas, Fem, Neut and Dual). It has eight different rules of associative property for nouns (self, with, in, on, off, to, wow,...) conjoined with nouns. Enormously complicated.
    Hindi is the same as Sanskrit, other than the associative separated into separate words.
    Mandarin, Cantonese, Japanese can't be read unless you know 9000 symbols. Just examples of how sick humans can become to make simple things complicated -- no insult intended.
    Fortunately, my mother tongue, Bangla, and several South-Indian (Dravidian) languages, just like English, have no gender rules for sentences, other than the French-type three forms of 'you'. English just has You, so further simplified! The only problem for English is the phonetics. Our Indian written forms are vernaculars, phonetics-based.
    English is the world language not because the British conquered the whole world, but because it was a language very easy to learn not only by the ordinary English but foreigners as well, and this helped in communication and commerce and so it spread very quickly.

Simplicity is a huge gift, just like the Open-Source Software. Simplicity helps reading the source, compacting programs and constantly improve.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    What about superman and knp?
    I too came to Linux via Knoppix and Debian, but I learnt, with sufficient help. And you don't have what I have -- a reading disability and I am very visual. I understand better with mind maps, flow charts, diagrams, movies, etc., rather than texts.
    You should not use your ignorance as shield. I don't feel ashamed to ask. I would rather push people.
    Over a period of time you will learn. Then, from there take the final leap into source codes and programming., choosing something you like best.
    Regards

Moderator Moderator
    Hi
    This "reply" only to precise that somebody has replaced my user name "knp" by "superman".
    This could be unpleasant because I see nothing justifing the situation.
    What do you mean by this? To which posting do you refer?

To those altogether replied to my message about "...knp not superman..."

1- to w.p.shulz
    a- "this" = "this message" via the "option proposed "quick reply"

b- I saw in the results of the "what's new" option of the menu
    that my post #10 had as author some "superman". I did not
    understood how and why this attribution could happen.

c- I remark now that there do exist really somebody called
    "superman" who replied also like to my message.

d- Is this answer sufficient? If not do'nt worry any more.

2- to rajibando
    a- your ulimate message is somtimes difficult for me. For example

a1- I looked for some words on the web. No satisfactory translation
    by wikipedia or othr dictionaries.

a2- I am never ashamed by my ignorance, the real source of
    knowledge if accepted by oneself. It is not a shield! Against
    what if any?

a3- Simplicity is the actual companion of my age if I lacked of it
    when I was younger

a4- Indeed I know Indians, Japaneses etc; but not their languages.
    Nor therefore their real difficulty .I heard about that as you
    confirm.

a5- It is well known that french schools made very few efforts for
    other languages. I think this is changing now (a bit). It is
    (perhaps) the reason why my "english" stays still to "a broken
    secondary school english".
    Perhaps "my pattern" similar to google's translator?

a6- I do not plan learning "Linux in the details". I just need a very
    basic knowledge(a bit large) allowing me to overcome some
    (inevitable) simple problems occuring. Your "links" will do the
    job (I hope).
    I do not have sufficient time to convert into an informatician.
    Though it would please me!

a7- As for "superman" ....please see 1-b (to w.p. schulz)

3- to superman
    a- Thanks you for the links.

b- I do not plan to study any topics in large details. I need only
    "simple" things.

c- I remark that there exist a person having the same user name as
    you.

d- You seem to be a junior member. So I suppose you are not the
    person evocated in point 1-b (to w.p.schulz).?

Best regards to altogether

knp
    Last edited by knp; 05-26-2015 at 09:30 PM.

Dear knp:

d- You seem to be a junior member. So I suppose you are not the
    person evocated in point 1-b (to w.p.schulz).?
    Yap, I am the new finish in town indeed and have been using Linux for just a few months. Under the circumstance of being unable to precisely understand the question quoted above since English is not my mother tongue, I am 110% sure that the post #12 was written by me, and have no slightest clue regarding the matter of point 1-b.

b- I do not plan to study any topics in large details. I need only
    "simple" things.
    From your post #1 and #8, I inferred that the topic was centralised around how to avoid typing certain cheat codes repetitively at every boot time and how to accomplish this particular task without overwriting the existing MBR and thus the boot loaders of any storage devices. In spite of the words, usb_hdd_knoppix_installed and ISO/IMG file, being mentioned in the post #1 and #8, respectively, I was unable to grasp whether the Knoppix was installed as a compressed file (/mnt-system/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX ; by default) or an uncompressed Debian-like system and whether Syslinux or GRUB legacy was installed as the bootloader on the USB hard disc. I, therefore, posted two links from Knoppix's wiki with a view to resolving the combination of compressed file and either of the bootloaders. At first glance, the titles of the sections which the links pointed to appeared to be irrelevant to the topic. I, however, assured that the content concisely described the means of setting the argument of lang=fr statically via the configuration file of the bootloader; from the sentence: "To boot this poor man's install..." onwards in the case of GRUB legacy.

From the post #5, #6 and #8, I assume the setup of your computer probably consists of 2 hard drives, one internal and one external discs; the internal hard drive contains (not exclusively) a Windows XP partition and a SOS_Knoppix partition (Knoppix V5.x), and the external drive also has a knoppix partition (Knoppix V7.4.2). In the case of Knoppix being installed in the fashion of compressed file on both hard drives, the cheat code, namely fromhd, may also need to be included when Knoppix V7.4.2 is preferred to be booted. Thus, the compressed file matched with the minirt.gz file can be found and loaded.

For the combination of uncompressed Debian-like system and either of the bootloaders, the files, namely /etc/sysconfig/i18n and /etc/sysconfig/keyboard, may be the key files regarding the settings of language and keyboard layout.

Regards,

Moderator Moderator
    I believe, it's time to close this thread. Meanwhile we are far away from the question in the 1st posting. If necessary the OP may open a new thread and tell us more about his own efforts to solve the problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12