Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: V7.4.2 Sticking cheatcodes

V7.4.2 Sticking cheatcodes

Hi

In version 6.4.4 there did exist a layout "languages" so that one freely change and choose ANY language without rebooting.

In v7.4.2 this possibilty does not exist or this is perhaps "hidden". Rebboting is necessary when the cheatcode "lang=..." have been forgotten.

On my "usb_hdd_knoppix_installed" the cheatcode "screen=800x600" has been SAVED as a permanent setting_Data.... but NOT "lang=fr"
    So I am obliged to type "lang=fr" at every boot...rebooting if forgotten.

IS THERE A WAY TO MAKE THIS CHEATCODE "STICKY definitly? !

Thanks

knp
    Last edited by knp; 05-24-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Senior Member registered user
    Hi!

Use grub and pass all the cheatcodes through grub.cfg while booting.

Your STICKY happens through persistent.
    Last edited by rajibando; 05-24-2015 at 04:05 AM.

Hi

Thanks you rajibando. I shall try your idea.

But I have had a very very bad experience with "grub" which I liked. On my fixed HDD I have an official Windows XP installation.

I am absolutly certain that WinXp does not accept a "real pacific "coexistence" with Linux" if Win is used REGULALY via "grub".

As it is known one is sometimes obliged to keep this Win pre_installation pretty.

This obligation have conducted me to search for other "OS's" to be adopted definitly...but only after a very good training about them.

I think I have learned how to suppress the "grub" which I encountered (that version offered in Knoppix 5) in case of a new problem.

What I have understood also is that with "grub" it is not recommended to "create/suppress" partitions.

I shall backup my data and try the grub offered by by Knoppix 7.4.2

Best regards

knp
    Last edited by knp; 05-24-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: formatting the text

Please don't.
    If you can identify your HDD please open the underbelly of your laptop and remove the HDD. Then use an USB drive to experiment.

Hi rajibando
    Your proposition seems to be appliable
    Installing then Grub on the USB disk.....with the risk not being authorized to connect the fixed HDD.
    Perhaps it wil be possible to use the cheatcode "grub" which then could be searched for by knoppix7.4.2 himself.
    I shall try it so preserving perhaps the WinXP drive connected afterwards before rebooting.
    Best regards
    knp
    Last edited by knp; 05-24-2015 at 10:59 PM.

COMPLEMENTS
    My project will be somewhat "problematic" because the fixed HDD already contains a SOS_knoppix partition.
    Surely I shall finally find a solution "linking" with your proposition.
    knp

Solution

Hi!
    Quote Originally Posted by knp View Post
    ... the fixed HDD already contains a SOS_knoppix partition.
    ...knp
    Your project is not at all problematic! It's easy to solve.
    That SOS HDD will create problems if it has knoppix iso or persistent.
    Remove any Knoppix persistent and image that might be in the HDD. I have a 'solved' post which has knoppix ISO, persistent and grub to boot knoppix from USB flashdrive.
    Afterwards, you can add connect your HDD and enjoy its huge data storing ability. If you format it to ext4 you could direct knoppix to use it as a persistent itself.
    My posts has all the guidelines, if you can connect the dots.
    And why did you say COMPLEMENTS? I know you have a problem with English, but I also know you use online Google Translation for brushing up your post.

Your solution
    1- My Knoppix_Hdd_installation is not an ISO nor an IMG. I installed it long year ago on a partition with the now old tools's installation given then by Knoppix_5.Then I used the "adapted Grub" to install it. This worked for some months.But I understood that it works only when I do not use WinXp regularly via that Grub. A very "traumatic" experience which conducted me - 1st to re-install WinXp as a very newbie (that I stay again) - 2nd to use "Mbr's tools" given by WinXp. Now I never use "grub" and I am somewhat more quiet but I do not like to loose a kind of "freedom" about my computer.....

2- I wrote a "COMPLEMENT" as soon as I realized that my project will not be good after "reconnecting" the fixed HDD which indeed CONTAINS the part of "grub" written on the MBR. I a sure of that. Then I learned that Linux uses a kind of part of the Bootsector theoretically not used by WinXP. My experince learns me that WinXP does not use that part but seem to holds like if it is the real "propprietary" of the "MBR" written by other "OS's". But do'nt worry I shall find an issue via your idea, probably before 4 or 5 days.

3- I do'nt understand your reference to Google. I Never use Google's translation and uses it very rarely even for browsing also. But your remark tells me that my "English" is at least as good as the Google one. In secondary school I was a somewhat "good pupil" in English. This was completed by teaching necessarily "almost bad English" to young scholars when I was a student. Also writing myself in English forces me to learn more this language...though it is not evident.

Thanks knp
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 05-25-2015 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Little format by mod

Dear knp,
    I said you use Google translation because your construction has a pattern similar to google's. Google's translation is becoming better, but still I can identify it.

Your latest post is very difficult to read, without line breaks and formatting.

I generally call a fixed, unchangeable file an Image (while talking about Knoppix), irrespective of whether it is an ISO or the KNOPPIX and the BOOT folders underlying the ISO, containing minirt.gz and KNOPPIX files required for running a Knoppix system.

Irrespective of whether your HDD's MBR contains Grub or not, Grub on Pendrive will not be bothered.

I write what I experience.

This will be my last post on the issue. I assure you that you remain FREE to choose whatever you deem fit

All the best.
    Last edited by rajibando; 05-25-2015 at 01:51 PM.

Hi rajibando

Thanks you for your help

1- I spoke of freedom in regards to WinXP .

2- My last post was not formatted at all because my laptop was
    "hanging" (=?) which obliged me to reboot. But the post
    remaned saved without beeing "editable".

3- I have tried to have a very quick glance on your post you spoke
    about. and other conversations on the problem

4- I think I have almost understood the meaning of your last post.

5- I shall study tese ideas as soon as I shall find more time.

Thanks you and best regards

knp
    Last edited by knp; 05-25-2015 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast