Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Knoppix on Toshiba Skullcandy freezes after a few seconds

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix on Toshiba Skullcandy freezes after a few seconds

    I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ?
    Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me.
    'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds.

    Thanks for all help anyone can give !

    Chris Ward

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    271
    Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!

    Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.

    After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.

    And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
    Last edited by rajibando; 06-12-2015 at 12:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by rajibando View Post
    Hi, and welcome to Knoppix!

    Run upto init 2 and install a specific proprietory AMD Radeon linux driver for your graphics processor.

    After installation, restart, and you will hopefully have the GUI.

    And from the next time, please post detailed spec data for us to help.
    Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
    What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mysore, India
    Posts
    271
    Not so many questions at one time

    Let's take things step by step.

    Are you familiar with Linux? ... Knoppix?

    Take out those papers you received from your vendor when you bought that laptop.

    There will be detailed info about your Graphics Card's make, every single detail.

    Go to AMD website and search for the appropriate linux driver file.

    Download it. Save it where it is going to last really long.

    Then use 'knoppix64 2", the one your wrote as cheatcode.

    Once reached there, type and go to where you saved the driver, at the terminal.

    Run the file.

    Follow the instructions displayed by the driver while installing.

    After it's over, you could try startx.

    See what happens.

    If the graphics is okay and the system works, restart and make a persistent image.

    You have to install the driver over again if you didn't have a persistent.

    Follow all instructions on Knoppix website meticulously.

    Good luck!

  5. #5
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by chris-ukl View Post
    Last time I booted, I waited about 15 minutes and everything 'unfroze'.
    What detailed spec do you want, how do I find it, and how do I set up the appropriate AMD Radeon linux driver ?
    Why do you capture someone else's thread?
    Last edited by Werner P. Schulz; 06-12-2015 at 09:33 PM.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Sorry, I seem to have 2 user-ids on knoppix.net. I am tjcw01 and chris-ukl.

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Germany/ Dietzenbach
    Posts
    1,124
    Therefore I suggest, to purge your newer registration to avoid further confusions or shall I purge your registration from 2005?

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    1

    Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? 7.4.2 or 7.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by tjcw01 View Post
    I'm trying to run Knoppix on a Toshiba Skullcandy laptop (2015 model). It has an AMD A8 processor and Radeon graphics. 'knoppix64 no3d' causes it to boot OK and get to the graphics screen, but after a few seconds everything freezes and only a forced power-off works. Does anyone have Knoppix working on this kind of system ? Am I missing a cheatcode, and if so which one ? Things run OK if I boot with 'knopppix64 2', but obviously I don't get a GUI that way and that's no use to me. 'knoppix64 no3d failsafe' also hangs after a few seconds. Thanks for all help anyone can give ! Chris Ward
    Which Knoppix version CD or DVD are you using? Knoppix 7.4.2 or 7.5 or 7.4.1? Get the most recent version that you can obtain and let us know what happens.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    18
    Please purge the 'tjcw01' registration

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    38

    New laptop, new Knoppix version 7.4.2 and 7.5.0

    1. hi Chris!
    2. Knoppix 7.4.2 and 7.5.0 work great on a new laptop, 2015, like you have.
    3. Have you checked the case for dust? I've had problems with laptops gettting too hot and start acting contrary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


3Pack Touch Screen Pen Stylus  For iPhone iPad Samsung Tablet Phone PC picture

3Pack Touch Screen Pen Stylus For iPhone iPad Samsung Tablet Phone PC

$4.99



Samsung 8.7

Samsung 8.7" Galaxy Tab A7 Lite 32GB Silver SM-T220NZSBXAR Book Cover Bundle

$93.49



Samsung 10.4

Samsung 10.4" Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 64GB Oxford Gray SM-P610NZABXAR - Cover Bundle

$229.99



Samsung LC27F396FHNXZA-RB 27

Samsung LC27F396FHNXZA-RB 27" Essential Curved Monitor - Certified Refurbished

$149.32



Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 10.4" Wi-Fi 64GB Gray Tablet SM-T500NZATXAR + 64GB MicroSD

$169.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab E T377A 16GB 8

Samsung Galaxy Tab E T377A 16GB 8" 4G LTE WiFi AT&T+GSM Tablet Good

$52.49



Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 12.4

Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 FE 12.4" 64GB Mystic Black SM-T733NZKYXAR w/ Keyboard

$374.99



Acer Chromebook 315 15.6

Acer Chromebook 315 15.6" Intel Celeron N4000 1.1GHz 4GB Ram 32GB Flash Chrome

$129.99



Charger for Samsung Chromebook 11.6-inch 2 3 XE500C13 XE303C12 40W AC Adapter picture

Charger for Samsung Chromebook 11.6-inch 2 3 XE500C13 XE303C12 40W AC Adapter

$4.99



For Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2019 Tablet Case | Poetic Soft Silicone Cover Black picture

For Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0 2019 Tablet Case | Poetic Soft Silicone Cover Black

$10.95