Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: knoppix 7.4.2 persistence

Senior Member registered user
    First of all, please write an explicit request to the Mod to delete your post from the old, very old, thread.
    Your need is likely to be fulfilled in a Knoppix/Linux way. Rather than to change the system it is better that we find work arounds.
    Now, please answer some queries:
    Do all your users necessarily use grub in their MBR?
    Also, the earlier queries for your users instead of your please.
    Last edited by rajibando; 06-16-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Member registered user
    Just sent a PM to the MOD to delete my post about the old thread... sorry about that

RE: grub... No most of them only have windows installed on their systems... therefore no grub

Good!
    Please answer the next queries too; like how many partitions your clients' HDD generally have? How many partitions can be free of any data? Temporarily, of course.
    Please also answer: Does your pen drive have grub installed?

If we take an extra query-answer cycle this is going to take double time.
    Last edited by rajibando; 06-16-2015 at 02:50 PM.

Member registered user
    how many partitions your clients' HDD generally have?
    normally 1 partition

How many partitions can be free of any data?
    no single partition is totally free of data since normally there is one partition in the system

Does your pen drive have grub installed?
    No, it uses syslinux, I used flash-knoppix to install knoppix on the pendrive and it uses syslinux as far as I know

Thanks

For your project Grub 2 is absolutely required, not legacy grub.

Make Grub2 to use Syslinux. Use appropriate Grub lines to boot from HDD. Please feel free to ask if you don't know how.

Your key to solve the issue is to install Grub on a pen-drive, but keep no KNOPPIX image name (found from the DVD, very large file of ~4GB, but rename it) there. Use it normally like any pendrive in normal circumstances.

Make at least two NEW partitions on the HDD (EXT4, eg.). Multi-partitioned HDD are better for management of space in Doze (also Linux) in personals. The more the partitions the better (upto 4GB) otherwise space is unnecessarily lost. Linux has no problems with large logical drives, but space is nonetheless lost.

Copy contents of DVD image in one partition and rename the earlier-renamed file back to KNOPPIX. Use grub and syslinux lines to direct the OS to that partition.

In that partition, add the knoppix-data.inf file to direct knoppix to the next partition and use it as persistent.

That way, your HDD's MBR is not changed.

I have a [solved] post. Refer to it.

If in doubt, write a PM to the Mod. He is the best man available for you personally, other than some very senior members. Discuss whether you could post your queries on the forum.

Even on hindsight, if you find a post was not that necessary but would confuse new members, request the mod to remove the post. He will judiciously advise.

Since you would use Knoppix professionally remember to contribute thoughtfully to Knoppix/ GNU monetarily. You are getting my help for FREE. Unheard of in Windows environment.

I neither get nor wish for a share of these donations. But there are some who need money for new hardware, books, research, etc. They are not beggars. They have willingly joined FOSS because of the Social Contract.

That's all for now.

Experiment, and post your ideas elaborately on the form, properly formatted.

Good wishes!
    Last edited by rajibando; 06-16-2015 at 03:56 PM.

For knoppix-data.img you can use the same partition where you kept the KNOPPIX file. No extra partitions required.

Member registered user
    Thanks for your explanation.

I think I got your point. However this does not solve my issue. I cannot just create partitions on other users' systems. All I need is to work on their PCs with customized settings. They surely won't let me manage their harddisk and repartiton it. That is why I am using a live usb.

You said that I can use the knoppix-data.inf to let knoppix know where to find the overlay file. Can I just do that even from the usb and, for example, point knoppix to /dev/sda1/knoppix-data.img from the inf file on the usb?

What exactly does this knoppix-data.inf contain?

Moderator Moderator
    What exactly does this knoppix-data.inf contain?
    Again! Read my posting #5. There you'll find the hint which parts of the two scripts you have to modify by yourself. With the standard Knoppix installation your wish is insoluble.

Moderator Moderator
    If in doubt, write a PM to the Mod. He is the best man available for you personally, other than some very senior members. Discuss whether you could post your queries on the forum.

Even on hindsight, if you find a post was not that necessary but would confuse new members, request the mod to remove the post. He will judiciously advise.
    I believe Rajib is talking about me.

First of all, my job as mod is to purge all the spammer postings each day (especially the last weeks). With this job I'm not alone; there are other moderators who works quietly and keep the Forum clean.

Sometimes I do a little format - if necessary - of new users postings or in case of wrong quote. Sometimes I edit or delete a posting if a user violates the Forum rules.

But I do not remove postings of users which "would confuse new members" and I do not stop queries. Either I try to describe my view of the problems or in case of troll posting I'll send these users a personal message.

@rspiteri

Please have patience to read and apply your mind.
    I have already given you the solution.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast