Thread: The update-rc.d command not working on KNOPPIX 7.4.2?!

The update-rc.d command not working on KNOPPIX 7.4.2?!

Hi, folks:

I just came across the mentioned problem while using a persistent overlay to do a mock test on my re-mastering procedure. Apparently, it works on KNOPPIX 7.2 as some messages were spitted out after executing this command in terminal, while on 7.4.2 there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link. Besides, by looking at the time stamps of the symlinks in the /etc/rc[0-6S].d folders, it seems to me that the existing symlinks were created during the mastering stage.

So, I wonder if the update-rc.d command only works in the chroot environment (in the context of KNOPPIX 7.4.2). Any pointers will be much appreciated.

ATB,

Moderator Moderator
    .. there wasn't even a single error message when I tried to remove a non-existent symbolic link.
    You've forgot to tell us in detail, what you really did. And, have you studied "man update-rc.d"?

Thanks for the reply, Werner.

Well... if I still remember right, reading the user's manual before using any piece of equipment is still one of the golden rules on my book. So, no worries, I got that part (man update-rc.d) covered. But I am wrong about the failure of spitting out error message when a non-existent symlink is being removed. Ideally, it emits an error message when an existing symlink whose target is still in place is about to be deleted; in fact, it never do so, regardless of the version of KNOPPIX.

Removing the virtualbox symlinks in /etc/rc*.d is actually what I would like to do. According to the man page of update-rc.d, it shall remove the named symlink, regardless of the existence of /etc/init.d/virtualbox, if the -f argument has also been given. To be crystal clear, the files (/etc/init.d/virtualbox) from VBox 4.2.10+dfsg-1 and 4.3.14+dfsg-1 are identical. So, it's unlikely that the content of the script causes the problem. To be more certain, all the symlinks in /etc/rc?.d are supposed to be wiped out by the following code:
    Code:
    # with root privilege
    INSANE=`find /etc/rc?.d -type l | sed 's/.*[SK][0-9][0-9]//' | sort | uniq`
    for i in $INSANE ; do update-rc.d -f "$i" remove ; done
    It isn't surprising to see all the symlinks are still intact. So, it seems to me that the update-rc.d and/or its related scripts are where the problem lies. For some reason, removing symlink is the only thing it cannot do.

ATB,

Moderator Moderator
    I've tested it for myself, and yes, update-rc.d (part of sysv-rc 2.88dsf-53) within Knoppix 7.4.2 is buggy and neither the option "-n" nor the parameter "remove" works. Within Knoppix 7.2.0 there is sysv-rc 2.88dsf-41.

Many thanks for your time, Werner. The sysvc-rc shipped with 7.4.2 is KNOPPIX's own breed; I don't really mind the removal function isn't working , and just need to keep an eye on those folders and remove the symlinks after purging the packages.

--- Really Off Topics ---
    To folks who have been following this thread:

Check out KNOPPIX's own repository for the patched version of xscreensaver if you are tired of the "very old" warning message.

ATB,

Moderator Moderator

OT (The update-rc.d command)

Check out KNOPPIX's own repository
    For people who don't know this server:
    http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian....kages/?C=M;O=D